'21 JUCO SDE Alex Lemon

Risk vs reward isn’t there when you take into account the character, academic, and talent hit rate on the recruits we’ve signed.
A good place to start, for you, would be not using past recruits as a baseline. Again, every JUCO kid is not at a JUCO for the same reason. Not doubt that the JUCO we took recently had question marks. We were in a more desperate situation to upgrade talent and the coaches gambled. Certainly an argument about whether it was a good or bad gamble on those cases. We should most certainly evaluate and cherry pick offers to JUCO players. It is dumb not to do that. The point you should be trying to make is that we should do a better job of evaluating our JUCO's before we decide who to offer and whose commitment to accept.

We should most certainly evaluate and cherry pick offers to JUCO players. It is dumb not to do that. The point you should be trying to make is that we should do a better job of evaluating our JUCO's before we decide who to offer and whose commitment to accept.

That’s what all of recruiting is and we have much more success doing that with HS kids than JUCOs.

“After Tennessee and Arkansas offered me, I think I have about 14,” Lemon remembered. “I had no offers coming out of high school, so this is all a dream. Tennessee is for sure in the mix, I’m looking into Texas Tech and I speak with Bowling Green and Arkansas a lot, too.”

Joe Osovet is heading up the recruitment with Lemon and the two communicate ‘3-4 times a week.’ Whether it be via text, phone, direct message or Face Time, the 2021 prospect ‘feels wanted’ by the Volunteers.

“There’s tradition and atmosphere in Knoxville – it’s not something you can just recreate in college football,” Lemon said. “I watched Tennessee as a kid growing up and noticed quickly there is nothing like the stadium, crowd and energy there.

“The Vols also have at least a couple – sometimes more – defensive linemen coming out of there. The production coming out of Knoxville is something I’ve noticed and am looking at.”

Though the journey has been long, it’s far from over for Lemon.

The potential is there to be a threat at the next level, but the prospect is currently focused on completing his winter units at Iowa Central to ensure his progress is on track for graduation in the spring.
From there, the defensive end will finally be looking to make an impact on the field – maybe at Neyland Stadium.
- Cain

Dale Carter was a great Juco player. We have had some good ones, especially in the 90's. Chuck Smith and Charlie Garner also come to mind.

My thing is - and idk about Carter, Garner and the others - I’m weary of JUCO kids who were virtual unknowns prior to JUCO. If we’re talking a JUCO kid who had major offers out of school but grades etc prevented him, then the success rate seems exponentially higher.

If it were me - I’d stay away from JUCOs otherwise.

Didn't we have a guy committed a while back with the same last name? Maybe 2-3 years ago.

VN Store

Back