‘23 JUCO OT Larry Johnson III ( Tennessee commit)

Guys who tend to judge all off of stars just an FYI for you. Javontez Spraggins was just a low 3 star and only had 11 scholarships when we recruited him. He was 6’3” 330 pounds though. This guy is 6’7” 350 pounds! You can’t teach size, but you can teach technique. I think this is a solid pickup
Agree about the star rating, further, I do believe JUCO's are rated later in the cycle. I could be wrong there, BON. I know you gotta chime in to always be right.

My point was with our on the field success coupled with positive media coverage & the end of investigation in sight, how is it the best we got is a dude with Houston offers? That's what I'm looking at.

Seems like we had a more difficult time recruiting the high end difference maker at that spot, Mincey was a good pull.

Anyway, kudos to the kid. Just surprised we took a project.

To be honest I thought we would do better with our recent success. We could get these type of players with Pruitt...
We did get this type of player with Pruitt. They were, for the most part, our starting O-line this year. They did a pretty damn good job too.

I mean seriously. Carvin...a back up, projectile vomited at Bama's defense and then gave them a nod. No fear in our O-line...at all.

Always cracks me up the amount of comments questioning if a guy "can play" or "fits our scheme", etc. When the player in question was just recruited by the coaching staff he's going to play for...I think they'd know the answer to these questions BEFORE recruiting said player.

Welcome aboard young man, I'm sure there's a plan to put both you and the team in the best position for success.

We did get this type of player with Pruitt. They were, for the most part, our starting O-line this year. They did a pretty damn good job too.

I mean seriously. Carvin...a back up, projectile vomited at Bama's defense and then gave them a nod. No fear in our O-line...at all.
They did wonderful till Georgia...we're going to need near elite talent to beat them...

Reactions: Volfan1000
Why are we doubting Heupel and Elarbee? Wasn’t our OL filled with mostly 3 star nobodies and became one of the best OL’s in the country this fall? I’m pretty sure they know what they’re doing and wouldn’t take this kid if they didn’t think he could be a contributor.

Why are we doubting Heupel and Elarbee? Wasn’t our OL filled with mostly 3 star nobodies and became one of the best OL’s in the country this fall? I’m pretty sure they know what they’re doing and wouldn’t take this kid if they didn’t think he could be a contributor.
Our OL was lights out this year. Ojulari and Anderson got completely shut down. Elarbee took dudes that were gonna be undrafted free agents (Carvin, Mays, and Wright) and made them $$$. Zero reason to question his development ability

Last edited:

What? Let me get this straight. Since our coaches want this guy we should trust their judgement? But they make a fortune coaching and I'm on a message board............ Wait, nevermind.

Crawford seemed to be "just a body" and he was a major contributor this season. O-line is probably the hardest position to evaluate in recruiting because you just don't know how guys will develop. Elarbee must have seen some solid potential in him and he's only played one year of JUCO ball. He could improve a lot in a major college program. He's definitely got the size.

Yep. I’ll also say this…with the kid having 4 to play 3, he may not be seen as an immediate plug and play starter. I still think Crawford is the starting RT (a more natural position for him) next year and Mincey is the LT. Johnson may need a year to trim down and get acclimated before starting.

Yep. I’ll also say this…with the kid having 4 to play 3, he may not be seen as an immediate plug and play starter. I still think Crawford is the starting RT (a more natural position for him) next year and Mincey is the LT. Johnson may need a year to trim down and get acclimated before starting.
Agree. I would guess it’s very likely he needs a year in the program before he’s ready.

I believe you mean Jeremiah Crawford, Carvin is and has been a starter.

Not to be a debbie downer but the lack of offers out of high school and while playing at one of the most heavily recruited JUCOs is a red flag. Feels like this was a reach.

That said, I trust the staff.
Like Garner with the DL, Ellarbe has earned some trust. Don’t remember knowing WTH Jeremiah Crawford was and Ellarbe brought him in before signing his own contract.

VN Store

Back