Josh Pate insults Pat Forde

The ON3 college guy is annoying and his show is over produced. But Pate is amazing

I like their recruiting rankings, I think On3 does a better job now than Rivals, ESPN, etc. on that field. Their football stories are alright but they tend to be faster than others in bringing up stories (over produced fits the description).

They were very pro-Tennessee from day 1 on the NIL topics though.

I like their recruiting rankings, I think On3 does a better job now than Rivals, ESPN, etc. on that field. Their football stories are alright but they tend to be faster than others in bringing up stories (over produced fits the description).

They were very pro-Tennessee from day 1 on the NIL topics though.

Sure I agree with most of what you said. I’m talking about their college football cast. The ON3 version of Josh Pate.

Nice! Every now and then he can get a little preachy but otherwise his stuff is pretty spot on. The only point he made that I would disagree with is that players haven't been getting more than a few $100 booster handshakes before all of this started.
Was just listening to his podcast not 5 minutes ago. I think Pate, Staples, Ari Wasserman all do really good job of being objective and having good discussions about college football. I also listen to That SEC Podcast w/ Bratton and Cousin Shane . It’s fun and is really good for their offseason discussion w/ lists and things like that.

I don't love the idea of athletes being "employees". I actually think that's a backdoor attempt at giving power back to people who shouldn't have it.

That said, the NCAA refused to evolve with the realities of college sports. It won't break my heart when it is replaced by something better.

BTW, Pate isn't just wrong but badly wrong about the extent of players being paid before NIL. It wasn't just $100 hand shakes.

Why would it lead to salary caps
Making athletes employees will likely lead to salary caps... and right back to the motivation to cheat that we had before.
It very well could lead to salary caps, but NIL isn’t salary, so it wouldn’t be cheating to make money for appearances, signatures, etc. The collectives would still offer NIL deals that go above and beyond the salary caps.

It very well could lead to salary caps, but NIL isn’t salary, so it wouldn’t be cheating to make money for appearances, signatures, etc. The collectives would still offer NIL deals that go above and beyond the salary caps.

It could, but I’m not certain it’s likely. And I agree with the second part. NFL salary cap has no effect on a guys ability to do commercials, sell sneakers, etc

Reactions: RockyTop140
Any school, collectives as well, can just go out and negotiate at any given time, and it's straight up recruiting pay for play. Someone's going to come in the comments and say "It always was." No it wasn't, don't be a fool. It's never been like that. It's never been like that in the history of college athletics. A $100 dollar handshake has never been and never will be the same as "Here's $775,000 dollars and a Lamborghini."

Josh Pate dropping the big hammer on that "it's always been this way / players have always been paid like this" nonsense.

Any school, collectives as well, can just go out and negotiate at any given time, and it's straight up recruiting pay for play. Someone's going to come in the comments and say "It always was." No it wasn't, don't be a fool. It's never been like that. It's never been like that in the history of college athletics. A $100 dollar handshake has never been and never will be the same as "Here's $775,000 dollars and a Lamborghini."

Josh Pate dropping the big hammer on that "it's always been this way / players have always been paid like this" nonsense.
Josh Pate apparently didn't know about Saban's new car lot, full of Mercedes and other high-end cars.

Now, $775,000 may be new, but that is simply a matter of degree, not one of substance.

Go Vols!

Now, $775,000 may be new, but that is simply a matter of degree, not one of substance.

Go Vols!

So almost every player from, what, let's say the 1985 Sugar Vols, was making 25-50k? They were all getting paid? All 80-whatever of them?

No. Some star players may have made some money, true, or had expenses cover in some way, but the "degree" of difference is entirely the point he's making.

Making athletes employees will likely lead to salary caps... and right back to the motivation to cheat that we had before.
You're exactly right! People asking for the athletes to become employees don't appear to grasp this.

I don't love the idea of athletes being "employees". I actually think that's a backdoor attempt at giving power back to people who shouldn't have it.

That said, the NCAA refused to evolve with the realities of college sports. It won't break my heart when it is replaced by something better.

BTW, Pate isn't just wrong but badly wrong about the extent of players being paid before NIL. It wasn't just $100 hand shakes.
Would they be employees or individual contractors? I hope the latter because I am on Social Security and that 13 percent they would have to pay will go a long ways for my monthly paycheck.

Reactions: VolDave53 and Okie

VN Store

Back