Josh Heupel's time allotment as HC

How long do you think he will be here as head coach?

• Three years

Votes: 125 19.3%
  • Seven years or less

Votes: 286 44.1%
  • Seven years or more

Votes: 252 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It seems that everybody was stating the same thing with Pruitt right up till he lost to Ga St (and BYU).

First time he runs the spread/RPO from the one, are we gonna go ballistic?

Only if Justin Worley is reading the DE and deciding whether to hand off or keep it himself. Every. Damn. Time.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
I'm doubting it will take some here that long. Would almost be willing to bet my car that at least one or two knuckleheads will call for CJH to be fired some time this coming season. Perhaps as quickly as our first loss.

If Jon Gruden leaves Las Vegas before then? It will come faster.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Is this really necessary? He’s our coach. Period.
Yep. Guy is inheriting one of the biggest messes that I can ever remember seeing this side of SMU. He's thrown into the deep end with lead weights around his ankles. He's not coached a single game yet and we're already talking about his firing. Sometimes I'm just amazed at what VN spews out.

Yep. Guy is inheriting one of the biggest messes that I can ever remember seeing this side of SMU. He's thrown into the deep end with lead weights around his ankles. He's not coached a single game yet and we're already talking about his firing. Sometimes I'm just amazed at what VN spews out.
He is getting better roster than Pruitt had in 2018.

Reactions: checkthetape
It really depends on sanctions. But 5 years should be a fair amount of time to evaluate him. Imo he might be decent for us but ai think his ceiling will be 3rd best in the East. I dont see him recruiting well enough to beat the big dogs.

It really depends on sanctions. But 5 years should be a fair amount of time to evaluate him. Imo he might be decent for us but ai think his ceiling will be 3rd best in the East. I dont see him recruiting well enough to beat the big dogs.

Would it take 5 straight losses to Vandy to convince you or do you get queasy at #4?

The chance this isnt another disasterous coaching hire is very small. We are going to get absolutely curb stomped in quite a few games this year. How does a guy who has never built a program in his life nor recruited at a high level, sell his program to recruits?

At best, Heupel would likely need many years of on the job training before he could get this program turned around to being a consistent 8 game winner and he inherited an apathetic, impatient and disgruntled fanbase.

The chance this isnt another disasterous coaching hire is very small. We are going to get absolutely curb stomped in quite a few games this year. How does a guy who has never built a program in his life nor recruited at a high level, sell his program to recruits?

At best, Heupel would likely need many years of on the job training before he could get this program turned around to being a consistent 8 game winner and he inherited an apathetic, impatient and disgruntled fanbase.

Well, to the way many view it, we have had a series of disasters as it comes to coaching hires. Building a championship contending program is not easy. But at some point, (make that at all points), I have questioned the leadership of the decision makers and influential people that have been here all along. As to what Heupel is inheriting, the bigger job will be on Danny White. Giving Heupel an environment to build this program back up, and reigning in the support he will need to do it.

How many years he gets will depend on how long he can keep the confidence of boosters, and of fans who's butts fill the seats. And much of that will depend on how well he can get the right players and retain them in a world where retention is a much thinner concept that ever before. Some are going to hit the transfer portal every year, but that door will swing both ways. Has been for years, and the hinges are well greased. The learning, remembering, and forgetting of names, and the adoration and scorn of players will be the fan's modern day soap opera. It might be entertaining, or it might be another crocky flop. I am ready to roll my eyes or be hopeful in equal measure.

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
Completely agree. But there are some on here that absolutely swear by it. 3 years. Regardless of what the circumstances are a HC only gets 3 years.

Well all of those who swear by it? Perhaps the local barbers, guys working in factories, and as Waffle House fry cooks. Hopefully after years three, they also look at the support system as well as the staff. You look at what other programs who are staying on top of their game are doing, and if your program needs improving in that area? You fix it. Better yet? Review that every year. In most cases, that is better than cleaning house and starting over.

Long time.

Biggest problem with both Butch and Pruitt is they were just 1 year from total and complete disaster because their side of the ball imploded.

Hype has coached for a decade and his WORST offense still scored 29 ppg...hard to see him having a death season (3-4 wins). His offense will always keep us afloat and give him a chance. Now...maybe we never get over the hump and he is let go eventually. But I just don't see us imploding the first 3-5 years. Not with this offense.

Long time.

Biggest problem with both Butch and Pruitt is they were just 1 year from total and complete disaster because their side of the ball imploded.

Hype has coached for a decade and his WORST offense still scored 29 ppg...hard to see him having a death season (3-4 wins). His offense will always keep us afloat and give him a chance. Now...maybe we never get over the hump and he is let go eventually. But I just don't see us imploding the first 3-5 years. Not with this offense.
I have thought about that very same thing. I hope that if his offense comes online, that he does not end up like Dooley’s ‘12 season. That offense he had rolling was lit and the weapons were incredible! Defense, on the other hand, was dismal!

I have to agree with this assessment. Just as with Fulmer choosing Pruitt, it seems as White had to choose the best of what was available and that includes who would actually take the job.

I see us as having a Matt Luke type set up. Coach three years, get us past the probation period then hire a much better, maybe somewhat proven, coach.

I have to agree with this assessment. Just as with Fulmer choosing Pruitt, it seems as White had to choose the best of what was available and that includes who would actually take the job.

I see us as having a Matt Luke type set up. Coach three years, get us past the probation period then hire a much better, maybe somewhat proven, coach.
By 3 years he’ll be proven one way or the other. If the OTHER trends successfully, then he’ll get plenty of time. We’re getting weary of buyouts.

I think this is a really complicated question to answer. You can’t consistently win big without big recruits. You can’t *consistently* land big recruits without some wins. Seems like a conundrum that some people on here are stuck in when it comes to condemn CJH to failure. And they’re not totally wrong, because it is a cycle that’s hard to break. However, if you’re a bit more nuanced, there is a path to success again for UT.

First- fix the culture here. No more backstabbing. We need every player on the roster, every coach on the payroll, and paperwork jockey in the AD pulling in the same direction.

Second- separate ourselves from the SEC bottom dwellers. Guys, we can’t beat Bama or even UGA right now. But we absolutely should NOT be losing to UK or Vandy either, just like Bama and UGA aren’t losing to us. This comes with competent coaches who develop the talent they bring in, or at least don’t get in the way.

Third- gain more local prominence. Be a stable program. Put guys in the NFL. Develop players. Show your recruiting base you’re a better program than your mid-power peers like UNC, South Carolina, Ole Miss, eventually Auburn and UF. We put slightly better results on the field, demonstrate positive outcomes for players off the field, and sooner or later these top 300 guys don’t wanna go to Auburn or Ole Miss or UK or USC. They want to come here again. And top 300 guys with good development and scheme in place brings us to..

Fourth- start beating teams you aren’t supposed to. Guys, Kirby is only Pruitt with a better recruiting base and no proven cheating. I literally can’t think of someone doing less with more talent. I live in Atlanta, and the UGA fans down here know it. Similarly- how long can Dan Mullen keep his mouth shut and not piss people off at UF? With the right level of depth, scheme, development and close-but-not-superior talent, we CAN beat those teams. And when we do, we can recruit like them. And when we recruit like them, we can play with Bama, and OU, and Clemson. The door is never shut on a program with our facilities, fan base, resources, and history. But you can’t skip steps one through four. I’m not guaranteeing CJH makes all that happen, and to many of your points, it’s more likely he fails than succeeds. Maybe he does succeed though, so can we not write him off before he gets the chance to try? Because the one thing that CAN doom our program is if we as fans stop believing we can succeed.

Heupel inherited an absolute mess with what Fulmer & Pruitt left behind.

He may not be the answer to our problems but he’s going to need more than 3 years to change the culture of this program.

Heupel inherited an absolute mess with what Fulmer & Pruitt left behind.

He may not be the answer to our problems but he’s going to need more than 3 years to change the culture of this program.

Why does it take 3 seasons the change the culture at UT, but not at any other school?

Why does a HC at UT get 3 seasons, with zero expectations, when no other coach gets that sort of leeway?

That will require Danny White to admit he was wrong on Heupel. I don't know if he is capable of that.

Reactions: tnutater
Why does it take 3 seasons the change the culture at UT, but not at any other school?

Why does a HC at UT get 3 seasons, with zero expectations, when no other coach gets that sort of leeway?

Usually I agree with your assumption, but the program has suffered too much damage recently compared to other programs.

With the NCAA sanctions fixing to come down on us, it was going to be a hard task regardless who was hired. It really isn’t Heupel’s fault.

Freeze was never going to happen based off what Boyd and Plowman said about winning the “right way”. Our choices were very limited.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
That will require Danny White to admit he was wrong on Heupel. I don't know if he is capable of that.
New AD is the type that will never admit a mistake.
He will ride this gig for all the money he can.
Will probably be fired with New Coach.
Both know it is short term.

VN Store

Back