Josh Heupel SEC Media Days

Tennessee got hosed again. I recorded the entire SEC media days today and Tennessee didn’t get much air time at all. As a matter of fact, during Tennessee’s so called “allotted time” they spent much of it talking about Alabama and Georgia.

Almost every word after the question mark is false.

Maurer's downfield accuracy as a Fr compared favorably to Bailey's. Bailey does well throwing short to intermediate. He wasn't great on deep balls. Milton when hot threw some absolutely amazing passes at Michigan. Deep and perfectly placed. The problem is that his "cold" is deep freeze cold.

Maurer had a freak injury due to landing on his head awkwardly exactly ONCE... not "always".

This is an open race. All of the QB's have strong suits. All have significant weaknesses.

And all will play. It’s doubtful that we will have only 1 QB take all the snaps all year. I can easily see CH getting each of them reps during a game to give the defense more to plan for. Unpredictability my be our best weapon & no turnovers.

Josh Heupel the player was a warrior. He went from playing QB at Snow College (never heard of it) in 1998…meeting Stoops taking over OU…choosing OU over Utah State. That was it only those 2 schools wanted him. In 2 years he accomplished all of this as an unknown out of nowhere player:
He competed above his talent level with football IQ, masterful fundamentals, and a huge chip on his shoulder to prove he was worthy. If you remember “The Mind of Manning” commercial ads back in the day…this was Heupel as a player. Stoops only won one National Championship & it was largely in part from Heupel’s offensive play.

Guy has turned out some stud QBs Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Trevor Knight, Drew Lock, and molded Dillon Gabriel….they’ve put up Rookie Mode video game type stats with him as the mentor. Dare I say he’d be to QB’s in college what the Manning’s think of Cutcliffe in college.

Heupel would most likely be the head coach of OU today if not for Stoops firing him for the 40 point blow out against Clemson. We have a guy that gets it finally. Knows what it takes to play/motivate above a kid’s ⭐️ rating to get the most out of them…because he has always done it himself.

I haven’t been this excited about Tennessee Football since the hiring of Lane Kiffin here. We have a man with a special genius at coaching one side of the ball…he’s a class act…and will make Tennessee Football fun to watch win/lose again.

Last edited:
I agree. And I think Bailey has the arm to do it. But I still think he is QB 3 or 4 because he doesn't really threaten to take off and run. I think Milton/Hooker are the front runners when it comes to QB. And whomever is playing is going to be throwing it deep quite often.

Maurer is faster than both these guys.

Seems like a lot of folks on this thread prefer Bailey or Maurer because the belief is held or the claim is made that these guys have the complete package of quarterback skills that Milton lacks. Well, I'm not sure Coach Hype would agree. He had this to say today: "Joe’s got a unique skill set, a strong arm, accurate passer. I think he's a very bright young man that's picked up on what we've done so far really well. He's talented. He can spread the football field from sideline to sideline and vertically and has a unique skill set with his size and mobility to use his feet as a weapon as well.” Pretty high praise here! This sounds to me like the kind of thing a coach says about his starter. And since Milton is the only QB that the coach brought to the team himself...hey, come on ... Bailey isn't sounding like the frontrunner here. Can anyone post such a positive quote from the coach about HB or BM?

I think we're going to see either Milton, Hooker or Maurer as the starting QB. I don't think the ability to go over top down field often is going to be part of the game plan
Welp mess that up, had something else longer typed out, started, deleting and fixing it and you know how that goes, thinking one thing and type another before finishing your thoughts, got distracted by a coworker wanting to talk about about the media event.
Was tryin to say something along the lines of
I think we're going to see either Milton, Hooker or Maurer as the starting QB. I don't think worrying about the ability to go over the top down field is going to be part of the game we have to worry about this year with these three guys like we often did last year.
Had some comments about Bailey and his lack of mobility that I was going to talk on and why I listed Milton, Hooker and Maurer but decided not to, so let that be a lesson kids...don't post and talk to others at the same time.

VN Store

Back