Josh Heupel SEC Media Days

I think we're going to see either Milton, Hooker or Maurer as the starting QB. I don't think the ability to go over top down field often is going to be part of the game plan
Heupel has literally said we are going to implement a vertical passing game. The deep ball will most certainly be a big part of this offense. That’s why in my opinion Milton or Maurer will win the job, because they both have the arm strength to throw it down the field. While Bailey and hooker have average to weak arms.

I agree. And I think Bailey has the arm to do it. But I still think he is QB 3 or 4 because he doesn't really threaten to take off and run. I think Milton/Hooker are the front runners when it comes to QB. And whomever is playing is going to be throwing it deep quite often.
We’re not running the single wing.

I agree. And I think Bailey has the arm to do it. But I still think he is QB 3 or 4 because he doesn't really threaten to take off and run. I think Milton/Hooker are the front runners when it comes to QB. And whomever is playing is going to be throwing it deep quite often.
IMO, Bailey has to be close to perfect in "his game" to win the job because of what you say. But... if I can choose who is running down the field with the ball it won't be Hooker, Milton, or Maurer. If Bailey is the best at getting the ball to the right guy and giving him an opportunity to make a play... that massively outweighs the ability to run the ball 4 or 5 times per game. The only way it wouldn't is if the QB run were going to be a major element in your O.

Deep throws are low completion percentage passes even with great QBs. You're going to waste a lot of plays throwing deep with Hooker. If he's the starter, then you can count on the offense leaning on running the ball and not his arm. Milton is a mystery right now, other than his physical talent. Maurer is physically talented but has been very inconsistent. The most consistent passer that was put on the field last season and in the spring game was Bailey. He's accurate and has plenty of arm strength. He's not a runner, but he wasn't a statue last season either.

Tennessee has suffered on offense for so many years because of poor QB play and a mostly ineffective passing attack. The o-line has played a part at times, but it really comes down to the QB. You can also look at Heupel's offenses in the past and it's clear that putting up a lot of yards through the air is important. We need the QB that can get the most out of the passing game. I think that might be Bailey, but we'll see. Maurer and Milton are more than capable. I really think Hooker is just good insurance on the bench if the other guys fail or get hurt.

I think we're going to see either Milton, Hooker or Maurer as the starting QB. I don't think the ability to go over top down field often is going to be part of the game plan
Milton followed by Maurer have the strongest arms on the roster. If either of them is the starter then I expect to see run heavy and frequent shots down field.

Deep throws are low completion percentage passes even with great QBs. You're going to waste a lot of plays throwing deep with Hooker. If he's the starter, then you can count on the offense leaning on running the ball and not his arm. Milton is a mystery right now, other than his physical talent. Maurer is physically talented but has been very inconsistent. The most consistent passer that was put on the field last season and in the spring game was Bailey. He's accurate and has plenty of arm strength. He's not a runner, but he wasn't a statue last season either.

Tennessee has suffered on offense for so many years because of poor QB play and a mostly ineffective passing attack. The o-line has played a part at times, but it really comes down to the QB. You can also look at Heupel's offenses in the past and it's clear that putting up a lot of yards through the air is important. We need the QB that can get the most out of the passing game. I think that might be Bailey, but we'll see. Maurer and Milton are more than capable. I really think Hooker is just good insurance on the bench if the other guys fail or get hurt.
I do not have a favorite. I would not bet against any of them winning the job.

These guys are all different. Bailey and Hooker maybe make up one side. Both need the short passing game. Bailey has more downfield. Hooker is by far a better running asset. The other two are strong armed but better runners. I wouldn't expect the short game to be as big a part of their game plan as the other two.

One thing that impressed me about the O&W game is that they seemed to seamlessly move from what one QB did well to what another did well. Originally, I thought that Bailey not being a running threat would prevent him from being the guy. Often coaches especially in situations like this want to design an O that doesn't have to change when the QB changes. In that case, two or maybe all three of the others could run a much more common playbook.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
What's a strong arm if it's not accurate? Maurer and Milton both are boom or bust QBs, they may hit 1 every 5 bombs. Give me Bailey and his arm over the occasional highlight run from our QB. Maurer always somehow lands on his head when he takes off.
Almost every word after the question mark is false.

Maurer's downfield accuracy as a Fr compared favorably to Bailey's. Bailey does well throwing short to intermediate. He wasn't great on deep balls. Milton when hot threw some absolutely amazing passes at Michigan. Deep and perfectly placed. The problem is that his "cold" is deep freeze cold.

Maurer had a freak injury due to landing on his head awkwardly exactly ONCE... not "always".

This is an open race. All of the QB's have strong suits. All have significant weaknesses.

If I was head coach , HB would be starting until giving a reason to change . If it didn’t work out by the time Florida rolled in then I’d be making some changes . However HB would be starting against BG if I was coach. I believe the kid is great and it will be great here or somewhere.

Based on what reasoning though? I have no problem with HB being the starter I think he will excel under this staff… I feel we have 4 Qbs who all have the ability to be successful under this staff though and I think the best man should go earn it… no matter who it is I will support and believe in 100% but I don’t feel no one should head and shoulders be Qb1 without a true and fair competition.

Asked about missing anything about Orlando, he mentions the beach. He had to pick something an hour's drive away to "miss". I feel him though, I lived in Winter Park long ago and I miss absolutely nothing about the place.

Based on what reasoning though? I have no problem with HB being the starter I think he will excel under this staff… I feel we have 4 Qbs who all have the ability to be successful under this staff though and I think the best man should go earn it… no matter who it is I will support and believe in 100% but I don’t feel no one should head and shoulders be Qb1 without a true and fair competition.
Kid sees the throwing lanes, has honestly played well even pior to corn bread being here and watching the O&W game . Also highest rated qb we have , with an actual coach who knows how to coach the qb position. To me Hooker had his chance I. The Acc and Milton in the big 10 which both conferences that only really had to deal with Clemson or Ohio St and still couldn’t get it done. I know I’ll get flamed for my comments but I’ll f ya couldn’t cut in in the Big10 or Acc then the SEC will be much harder . My opinion and again I said if I were coach lol

If I was head coach , HB would be starting until giving a reason to change . If it didn’t work out by the time Florida rolled in then I’d be making some changes . However HB would be starting against BG if I was coach. I believe the kid is great and it will be great here or somewhere.
Great based on what? Checking down 6 times in a row when the other team is up 3tds and in a prevent defense? Bailey holds onto the ball to long, is not a threat to run, and has an average to below average arm. I just don’t see it, Bailey reminds me a whole lot of Justin Worley, in my opinion Maurer and Milton are both better fits for this offense.

Are the stats listed below correct?
Based on my research
HB was 48 / 68 for 70.65%. 578 yds for 8.5 yap. 4 / 2 td / int
BM was 2 / 6 for 33.3%. 9 yds for 1.5 ypa. 0 / 0 to / int

Not enough data on BM to make a case either way

Have you looked at the receivers on the roster? Velus, Hyatt, Holiday, and Calloway are all speed guys. Payton, Coby, and Tillman are pretty fast too. We're finally looking at a roster that isn't full of slow receivers. Of course they're going to try to take the top off of defenses.
You MUST go over the top a few times in a game. Otherwise the safeties are creeping closer and closer to the LOS because they know everything is going within the first 10-15 yards of the LOS.

Are the stats listed below correct?
Based on my research
HB was 48 / 68 for 70.65%. 578 yds for 8.5 yap. 4 / 2 td / int
BM was 2 / 6 for 33.3%. 9 yds for 1.5 ypa. 0 / 0 to / int

Not enough data on BM to make a case either way
That looks correct for last year. IMO based on things that were said along with Pruitt's actions... Maurer and Pruitt had agreed to part ways after last season. Pruitt told a "white lie" publicly to avoid questions about why Maurer wasn't playing more. At one point he claimed Maurer was too hurt to play... and then put him in to run the ball in the very next game.

As a Fr, Bailey was 2/7 on passes over 20 yards for 48 yards.
Maurer completed 3 deep balls in 18 attempts but had 140 yards.

Maurer took more downfield risks. That's why I said earlier that Bailey needs the short game to compliment the long ball. Maurer needs the long ball and needs to supplement his short game with QB runs.

ALL of the QB's on the roster need to fix some weaknesses. The guy who does it best will be the starter.

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver
As a fan, if Milton wins the job and we're 8-4 and competitive in all would you not be happy, replace Milton with Bailey, Hooker or Maurer doesn't matter as long as we are competitive and have a chance to win. I'll support the best choice. Just win , Go Vols. Losing is not an option. It may happen, but don't just lay down and let it.

Something I noticed is that no one, media, Heupel or graphics mentioned or listed Maurer. It’s like he doesn’t exist at UT. Only Bailey, Hooker and Milton. Hooker and Milton were talked about most

Reactions: volinthenorth

VN Store

Back