Josh Heupel SEC Media Days

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
Heupel:
-Excited to be here, really loves living in Knoxville, it’s a special place for him, his wife, and kids.
-Loves to hit the river
-Proud to be the Tennessee HC
-The progress has been amazing for 6 months. He loves the relationship he has with former Vols.
-Number one priority is personal relationships with each player, the players needed it.
-Recruiting over the last 6 months has been great going coast to coast and connecting with recruits parents.
-The connection with the VFL’s has been amazing and he’s been very well received.
-The type of program we want to have at Tennessee is to be innovative, but also to have fun. Player connection or the player experience is the best thing to have. Playing games after workouts creates a great connection. This also plays into Saturdays and it also ties into the NIL.
-Unique opportunity with the NIL going forward. Opportunity for players to be aware with their brand.
-There is no other place greater than Knoxville, TN. This is the best city in the SEC, it is a special place to come play college football.
-We wanna play fast with tempo and be physical the entire game. We have to be able to put our kids into position that goes with their physical capabilities. This is a qb friendly offense, the line of scrimmage is extremely important. We have to continue to recruit big for the line of scrimmage.
-Defensively, we’ve hired an experienced staff that will have the ability to create negative plays, we have to play fast and free.
-We were hit by the transfer portal before I arrived to coach, but we also had success from the transfer portal after spring ball.

Questions?
-Can you tell us a little about the transfer portal players you’ve acquired? We’ve added guys that can give us some years. We’re going to continue to get better.

-We’re not where we need to be record wise, wins and losses. Everyone knows that. You have to have the right alignment from top to bottom and you can move things forward quickly. This is Tennessee, one of the most iconic spots in The SEC. We chose the Power T for a reason.

-The third game against Alabama, been a long time since Tennessee won, how important is that game?
That ballgame is huge to the fan base and the players. You come to Tennessee to play in games like that. It’s not about one game this fall, our players understand we’re only as good as our next performance. We’re gonna put ourselves in the best position we can.

-Anyrhing you miss about Orlando?
I miss seeing you Mike. My wife, our family, and our staff felt like it was the right opportunity to come to Tennessee. If we miss one thing about Orlando, it’s the beach.

-Adding Joe Milton?
Joe has a unique skill set, strong arm and accurate passer and has good mobility.

-New age approach?
Changing the energy and creating positive momentum from the staff to the janitors is so important. We had to move forward instantly, look good, feel good, play good. We wanna create a positive experience that will last forever.

-A lot of positions open going into camps?
Year 1, there’s no job that is secure. You have to prove that we can trust you on the field. They have to earn their position to be a proven leader. Guys will earn more reps and guys will earn less reps.

-8 transfers after spring ball, speak on Javonte?
He’s fast, explosive, and can certainly compete to earn a spot. His experience is very important for us to add to our WR room.

-Best defensive transfers?
We felt like it was important to add defensive players from the portal. I really do feel like all the guys are gonna play meaningful snaps in the fall.

-Fast paced offense, how do you balance it so you don’t pressure on your d?
You have to balance it going through practice to condition the players. You can’t move the ball too quickly during the game, you’ll wear out the D.

-More prepared, more equipped now than you were going into UCF?
I think you grow with every experience you have. Every job is different, depending on location, university, etc.

-Qb friendly offense, run game just as important in this offense?
At Mizzou, we were very balanced in run and pass. Our offense starts with our run game, and the rbs have to be good with the ball in their hands.

-You worked with Barry Odom at Mizzou, what’s your thoughts on him at Arkansas?
Bright, passionate, and extremely competitive.

I think we're going to see either Milton, Hooker or Maurer as the starting QB. I don't think the ability to go over top down field often is going to be part of the game plan

Thought he did well. Mentioned how he wants the program to be more modern, possible alternate unis, get more former vols involved, and really just sounded like a likeable guy. Yes I know, we are tired of coaches “winning” the press conferences and I agree it’s annoying hearing that every 3-4 years.

Thought he did well. Mentioned how he wants the program to be more modern, possible alternate unis, get more former vols involved, and really just sounded like a likeable guy. Yes I know, we are tired of coaches “winning” the press conferences and I agree it’s annoying hearing that every 3-4 years.
He’s easily the most likable, down to earth guy we’ve had as coach since Fulmer, and probably more so than Phil. I feel like this guy possesses incredible leadership qualities that we’ve been missing for more than a decade . I say that without having seen or heard anything from today.

He’s easily the most likable, down to earth guy we’ve had as coach since Fulmer, and probably more so than Phil. I feel like this guy possesses incredible leadership qualities that we’ve been missing for more than a decade . I say that without having seen or heard anything from today.

We have moved a big step closer to a real coach as we no longer have the most unintelligible one.
That honor is returned to LSU & Orgeron

Wait, what about Dooley?!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Imo it’s easier to like him because he is a national championship winning quarterback and knows what it takes to win from a player perspective. Whenever he says something it holds weight because he can show everyone his championship ring and his trophy collection.

Imo it’s easier to like him because he is a national championship winning quarterback and knows what it takes to win from a player perspective. Whenever he says something it holds weight because he can show everyone his championship ring and his trophy collection.
The other guy won multuple championships, and couldn't get out of his own way. For some reason, he was trying to reinvent the wheel.

I am not a big fan of Greg McElroy. But I did like when Heupel asked him, was there ever a time as a player that you walked out and thought you wouldn't win that game. I feel like we have been missing that attitude for so long, it's refreshing to see.

I think we're going to see either Milton, Hooker or Maurer as the starting QB. I don't think the ability to go over top down field often is going to be part of the game plan
Have you looked at the receivers on the roster? Velus, Hyatt, Holiday, and Calloway are all speed guys. Payton, Coby, and Tillman are pretty fast too. We're finally looking at a roster that isn't full of slow receivers. Of course they're going to try to take the top off of defenses.

Have you looked at the receivers on the roster? Velus, Hyatt, Holiday, and Calloway are all speed guys. Payton, Coby, and Tillman are pretty fast too. We're finally looking at a roster that isn't full of slow receivers. Of course they're going to try to take the top off of defenses.

I agree. And I think Bailey has the arm to do it. But I still think he is QB 3 or 4 because he doesn't really threaten to take off and run. I think Milton/Hooker are the front runners when it comes to QB. And whomever is playing is going to be throwing it deep quite often.

VN Store

Back