Josh Heupel appearance on Josh and Swain yesterday

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

Summary/Notes
  • With so many Vols headed to the NFL, it's great for players inside our program. Players currently here see their buddies work, compete and do the right things and how that parlays into success on the field and on Draft Day as well.
  • It certainly helps in recruiting, too. We're top eight in the country in draft picks over the last two years.This year, second in the country in guys being called in the first three rounds.
  • We've had five wide receivers drafted, more than anyone in the country, as far as a head coach, in number of guys that have been drafted. And Darnell Wright was the first lineman from the SEC to have his name called.
  • Our strategy, how we attack people, is slightly different than other people. That's why we've been able to light up the scoreboard the way we have. A lot of what we're doing has trickled into the NFL.
  • On defense, we took a step from year one to year two. When I first got here we were at 67 scholarship players counted for the fall and had 65 actually with us. Most teams were at 95 because of covid seniors. We were decimated by the transfer portal before we had a chance to solve that problem.
  • Currently, we've added athelticism and length. We have a lot more competition inside of our building and certainly on the defensive side of the football.
  • Some of the success in year one, there's increased buy-in through each cycle, as kids get comfortable in hearing the message and understanding what it's going to look like every day. Some of the success we had in the fall helped continue to heighten our players urgency to do things the right way and increasing our culture inside the building.
  • This group, since they've gotten back in January has been absolutely awesome in how they approach their workouts, how they approach their daily life, the competitiveness they have from within, and increased leadership. I love what we did in spring ball. Our urgency has to continue to increase and we have to continue to grow as a program.
  • Joe Milton was a leader inside of our program last year. He's continued to grow as a man as a leader. He's continued to refine himself on the football field. He was extremely efficient and effective inside the pocket, had great balance, eye discipline was really solid and he was extremely accurate with the football during the course of our spring practice.
  • Nico has come in and just tried to prove it and work for it every single day. During bowl prep he was on the scout team, everybody on the defense got a chance to see what he looked like and he was extremely impressive. He's handled himself in a mature way. His teammates absolutely love him. He's continued to grow during spring in understanding what we're doing. I love his energy and effort in trying to be a man that masters his craft at the quarterback position.
  • Gaston Moore, it's the most work he's gotten with our staff at the previous stop or here at Tennessee. He performed really well in the spring game. That room competes with each other but in a positive way.
  • It's my job, it's our job as a program, to provide the best player experience. Our fan base is a huge part of that, what game day looks like -- the energy and passion. Now NIL is a part of that experience. It's forced guys to be more mature when they first get to campus, it's changed some of their habits. They're very intentional in what they're doing. It also provides an opportunity for players to be engaged in our community and to be active. This is the next evolution of collegiate sports, for our fan base to help us continue to provide the best player experience in football, it's vitally important to the success of this program. I can't thank our fans enough. Spyre has done a great job working with our administration to make sure we're doing things the right way.
  • When we first got here in February (2021) we had to sell the culture of what was and what it was going to look like. Now they've had a chance to experience it, see it when they're here on campus, watch it on tv, and understand we're going to play the most exciting brand of football in college athletics. We're going to let our guys pin their ears back and play with an aggressive nature.

This is the most exciting off season I can remember in 22 years

giphy.gif

Summary/Notes
  • With so many Vols headed to the NFL, it's great for players inside our program. Players currently here see their buddies work, compete and do the right things and how that parlays into success on the field and on Draft Day as well.
  • It certainly helps in recruiting, too. We're top eight in the country in draft picks over the last two years.This year, second in the country in guys being called in the first three rounds.
  • We've had five wide receivers drafted, more than anyone in the country, as far as a head coach, in number of guys that have been drafted. And Darnell Wright was the first lineman from the SEC to have his name called.
  • Our strategy, how we attack people, is slightly different than other people. That's why we've been able to light up the scoreboard the way we have. A lot of what we're doing has trickled into the NFL.
  • On defense, we took a step from year one to year two. When I first got here we were at 67 scholarship players counted for the fall and had 65 actually with us. Most teams were at 95 because of covid seniors. We were decimated by the transfer portal before we had a chance to solve that problem.
  • Currently, we've added athelticism and length. We have a lot more competition inside of our building and certainly on the defensive side of the football.
  • Some of the success in year one, there's increased buy-in through each cycle, as kids get comfortable in hearing the message and understanding what it's going to look like every day. Some of the success we had in the fall helped continue to heighten our players urgency to do things the right way and increasing our culture inside the building.
  • This group, since they've gotten back in January has been absolutely awesome in how they approach their workouts, how they approach their daily life, the competitiveness they have from within, and increased leadership. I love what we did in spring ball. Our urgency has to continue to increase and we have to continue to grow as a program.
  • Joe Milton was a leader inside of our program last year. He's continued to grow as a man as a leader. He's continued to refine himself on the football field. He was extremely efficient and effective inside the pocket, had great balance, eye discipline was really solid and he was extremely accurate with the football during the course of our spring practice.
  • Nico has come in and just tried to prove it and work for it every single day. During bowl prep he was on the scout team, everybody on the defense got a chance to see what he looked like and he was extremely impressive. He's handled himself in a mature way. His teammates absolutely love him. He's continued to grow during spring in understanding what we're doing. I love his energy and effort in trying to be a man that masters his craft at the quarterback position.
  • Gaston Moore, it's the most work he's gotten with our staff at the previous stop or here at Tennessee. He performed really well in the spring game. That room competes with each other but in a positive way.
  • It's my job, it's our job as a program, to provide the best player experience. Our fan base is a huge part of that, what game day looks like -- the energy and passion. Now NIL is a part of that experience. It's forced guys to be more mature when they first get to campus, it's changed some of their habits. They're very intentional in what they're doing. It also provides an opportunity for players to be engaged in our community and to be active. This is the next evolution of collegiate sports, for our fan base to help us continue to provide the best player experience in football, it's vitally important to the success of this program. I can't thank our fans enough. Spyre has done a great job working with our administration to make sure we're doing things the right way.
  • When we first got here in February (2021) we had to sell the culture of what was and what it was going to look like. Now they've had a chance to experience it, see it when they're here on campus, watch it on tv, and understand we're going to play the most exciting brand of football in college athletics. We're going to let our guys pin their ears back and play with an aggressive nature.

After reading this, as George once said "I think it moved a little."

I know these offseason interviews are full of coach speak, but I'm so glad the days are long gone when we had to listen to how the players need to give "63 strain" or how we're building this "brick by brick" or how our players suck and this thing will need to get fixed in recruiting (I still can't believe Pruitt said that to a reporter at halftime of an actual game).

I know these offseason interviews are full of coach speak, but I'm so glad the days are long gone when we had to listen to how the players need to give "63 strain" or how we're building this "brick by brick" or how our players suck and this thing will need to get fixed in recruiting (I still can't believe Pruitt said that to a reporter at halftime of an actual game).

Agree. Heup is a breath of fresh air. Also, I appreciate how he leveraged the strengths of his current roster instead of kicking them to the curb (see Deon and Colorado).

Summary/Notes

That’s MY coach. Love this guy’s attitude and demeanor. Everything that comes from him is positive.

Agree. Heup is a breath of fresh air. Also, I appreciate how he leveraged the strengths of his current roster instead of kicking them to the curb (see Deon and Colorado).
Well, one of the two is an actual football coach.

Any man has to know his strengths and weaknesses.

I underestimated Heupels ability from an administrative standpoint. I knew his level of "Xs and Os" was tier 1. But he's a very CEO type persona as well.

I caution others about underestimating Deion and what he's doing. It's WAY different than what Heupel did or any other coach really. But he is hitting his benchmarks.
(Idgaf to discuss everything about what those are). I'm just saying, allow the methods to prove themselves first.

I saw some things offensively and defensively in CU spring game that made me curious. The depth won't be there ...it just can't yet. But it will be better than what Heupel had for UT coming into year 1. And schematically they will be sound.
Can Deion get those guys to play for each other?? I have my doubts, but he's not just winging it. He has a real plan. It's just different....

Reactions: vol94 and sjsmith87
Any man has to know his strengths and weaknesses.

I underestimated Heupels ability from an administrative standpoint. I knew his level of "Xs and Os" was tier 1. But he's a very CEO type persona as well.

I caution others about underestimating Deion and what he's doing. It's WAY different than what Heupel did or any other coach really. But he is hitting his benchmarks.
(Idgaf to discuss everything about what those are). I'm just saying, allow the methods to prove themselves first.

I saw some things offensively and defensively in CU spring game that made me curious. The depth won't be there ...it just can't yet. But it will be better than what Heupel had for UT coming into year 1. And schematically they will be sound.
Can Deion get those guys to play for each other?? I have my doubts, but he's not just winging it. He has a real plan. It's just different....
You didn’t address anything about Sanders kicking current players to the curb.

VN Store

Back