Jones announces changes to coaching staff

Yes. A true plus to the staff, BUT, is this the extent of it? Stripling? Martinez? Thigpen? Are they on board and in a groove with Shoop? Are contracts up for some and/or due for extension/renegotiation? Whazzup? is my question...

Martinez is already gone but this won't be the last of it.

Well.....it's done....

Now it's time to get to work......It really won't matter who he hires as OC/DC or QB coach if they can't figure out two things:

1. How to eliminate our inordinate amount of injuries; and
2. How to eliminate TURNOVERS.

IF he doesn't win the East in 2017 after having 5 years to get there when the East is in the WORST condition of its existence--all of 'em need to be fired anyway!

GO VOLS!

Doesn't matter what we think... Butch needs to make it work (it's his job) and I sure hope he can.

Go Vols!!

I am not surprised UT needed to up the cafeteria budget to be able to feed Fulmer when he is hired as AD so this saved some money.

i just don't understand how you turn down Chris Weinke. the guy has been working with QB's at all levels for quite a while, his recruiting connections in FL and at IMG.....the cache of having a former heisman winner, national championship winner, played in the NFL, coached in the NFL...for a guy that's had like 30 jobs, and his claim to fame is coaching Phillip Rivers for 2 seasons.

whatever. it'll either be great, or not. we'll find out. no issue with Scott, i think he's capable of doing big things. and Canales is a position coach, so i don't want to freak out. just seems like there was an opportunity there to really hit on something fairly big, and instead, we get a guy none of us would have ever heard of had we not played them last year and Butch tell everyone what a great coach and friend he was after the game.

he hired a buddy. not surprising, and not necessarily bad. time will tell.

Can Canales even recruit?

he did two stints at S Fl, and he coached at NCSU, so there's some ties to the Southeast. have no idea how well he recruits though. and those ties are getting on well over a decade, so no idea.

maybe he's good for a guy or two out of Utah?

bartolo-colon-swing-and-miss-against-pirates-b.gif

lol

Reactions: 1 person
Let me offer a modest glass half full argument for these hires.

Tom Herman has been preaching the value of "Alignment" over and over since he was hired at Texas, said he learned this from Urban Meyer. The idea is that every member of the coaching staff has to be perfectly aligned and pulling in the same direction for a team as a whole to be successful. The Debord hiring, and now Scott's promotion and adding Canales seem to have been made on this basic premise. These are guys with whom Butch is comfortable and who will be carrying out his wishes without pulling players in different directions.

Whatever you think of Tom Herman or Butch, there is some value to that, in varying degrees depending on the talent of the other coaches. I think we saw a good example of what can happen when coaches are not on the same page (not aligned) on our defense this year. To be sure, injuries played a big part, but there have been lots of rumors about how Shoop and his position coaches were at odds with each other, and it showed on the field.

I'm not thrilled about either move to be sure, but that's what we got, and there's a chance that it can be a positive step. Whether it will be enough to get Butch through another season (or produce success for Tom Herman at Texas) remains to be seen.

I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel if I was Jones. We scored more TDs this year than any year in the history of UT football. The O wasn't the problem. Let Scott come in and improve the same O that was effective this past year.
Added a QB coach which was a huge need. May not be Weinke, but we have a QB coach. He may turn out to be a great hire. Who knows.
The key to this season is training up our QB to be, and letting Shoop get his own guys in there. The D was the issue this year. Injuries and corners not knowing how to turn their heads and find the ball.

Let's be honest

Minus Dobbs, Kamara, and Jennings the offense sucked

I like the fact Butch promoted within. It was a very gutsy move and the sign of a leader. It sends a message to his present staff and any future hires. Congratulations to Coach Scott & Go Big Orange..

Reactions: 2 people
Let's be honest

Minus Dobbs, Kamara, and Jennings the offense sucked

Why do people think this is a solid argument? You can't subtract key contributors and say the offense sucked. The offense put up great numbers this year in a variety of ways despite injuries and a RB & WR leaving the team.

Butch's offense may have room for improvement (like every other team's), but it wasn't the problem.

Tom Herman has been preaching the value of "Alignment" over and over since he was hired at Texas, said he learned this from Urban Meyer. The idea is that every member of the coaching staff has to be perfectly aligned and pulling in the same direction for a team as a whole to be successful. The Debord hiring, and now Scott's promotion and adding Canales seem to have been made on this basic premise. These are guys with whom Butch is comfortable and who will be carrying out his wishes without pulling players in different directions.

Whatever you think of Tom Herman or Butch, there is some value to that, in varying degrees depending on the talent of the other coaches. I think we saw a good example of what can happen when coaches are not on the same page (not aligned) on our defense this year. To be sure, injuries played a big part, but there have been lots of rumors about how Shoop and his position coaches were at odds with each other, and it showed on the field.

I'm not thrilled about either move to be sure, but that's what we got, and there's a chance that it can be a positive step. Whether it will be enough to get Butch through another season (or produce success for Tom Herman at Texas) remains to be seen.

good post, and i agree. in merit, this is spot on, and the one thing we'll have to cling to going forward.

i think Scott can, and likely will be, very good. i'm not excited about Caneles, but most of that is because to me just represents a giant "?".

as to the other hires he's made, Shoop and the new DB coach, they both to me, seem like very solid hires.

it's on the offensive side of the ball, where i think CBJ won't lighten his grip. though i do think, in the interest of alignment, that Scott and Caneles having previous relationship at S. Fla played a role, and i have to believe that Shoop had plenty of input on hiring the DB coach.

maybe this will work. maybe this is getting closer to what is needed to get this staff all going in the same direction.

i hope it is. but i have no problem with those that turn their nose up and say "meh" either. i understand it, and can't lie, as i listened on the radio, that was my initial gut reaction too.

Yay, Butch did what everyone expected him to do. He hired a couple of puppets to continue to run his sorry offense. Sorry folks but if anyone thinks these are good hires, you must not watch much football. Next season will be his last.

Reactions: 3 people
good post, and i agree. in merit, this is spot on, and the one thing we'll have to cling to going forward.

i think Scott can, and likely will be, very good. i'm not excited about Caneles, but most of that is because to me just represents a giant "?".

as to the other hires he's made, Shoop and the new DB coach, they both to me, seem like very solid hires.

it's on the offensive side of the ball, where i think CBJ won't lighten his grip. though i do think, in the interest of alignment, that Scott and Caneles having previous relationship at S. Fla played a role, and i have to believe that Shoop had plenty of input on hiring the DB coach.

maybe this will work. maybe this is getting closer to what is needed to get this staff all going in the same direction.

i hope it is. but i have no problem with those that turn their nose up and say "meh" either. i understand it, and can't lie, as i listened on the radio, that was my initial gut reaction too.
Canales is a comfort hire for Jones and Scott. Hopefully Wells can help the offensive line. If he replaces Mahoney...

s/o to chuck Norris ?!

"Canales and his wife, Carol, have six children: Christopher, Tyler, Dakota, Aaron Norris, Christy Norris, and Cameron Canales and two grandchildren, Afton Norris and Micah Canales"

jk prob a different marriage :)

I like the fact Butch promoted within. It was a very gutsy move and the sign of a leader. It sends a message to his present staff and any future hires. Congratulations to Coach Scott & Go Big Orange..

I believe that was the plan for Scott from the beginning. I considered it when he was hired and a few posted the idea.
It's why he was so heavily involved last season.

Canales is a comfort hire for Jones and Scott. Hopefully Wells can help the offensive line. If he replaces Mahoney...

yep. Jones hired a buddy. may or may not turn out to be a bad thing. time will tell. i'm hoping that continuity and alignment make up for my lack of confidence.

Well, as much as I dislike Urbeeee....He has three NCs under his belt....so he can get it done!

All of these hires smell like coaching "nepotism" instead of wisdom.....

And I do like Scott....

But, Weinke definitely has the better credentials!

VN Store

Back