Jon Gruden thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a reason why this can't happen. I'm not saying it will but it definitely could, and for that belief I have been admonished and scolded on the other threads. I have been called stupid, delusional, and a "NegaVol". The same posters that call me these things are the ones posting how the Vols are going to win in Athens, and they are calling me delusional. Volnation is divided once again. You have your "sunshine pumpers" who believe there is nothing wrong here and are content with 5-6 wins a year. You have your apathetic fans who just don't care any longer. You have fans, like me, who are mad as hell that this once great program has fallen off the face of the earth because of a series of bad hires. I think I will reside in this thread until it all plays out over the next 4 games.

BTW, I heard Arkansas is going after Baylor's coach, Art Briles. Why wouldn't the fanbase be going gaga over a currently employed and successful HC instead of an out of work one with marginal success?

Because they don't want to pay that premium price tag that's why...Simple logic :salute:

BTW, I heard Arkansas is going after Baylor's coach, Art Briles. Why wouldn't the fanbase be going gaga over a currently employed and successful HC instead of an out of work one with marginal success?

You can keep John L. Smith. I'm not interested.

I don't see a reason why this can't happen. I'm not saying it will but it definitely could, and for that belief I have been admonished and scolded on the other threads. I have been called stupid, delusional, and a "NegaVol". The same posters that call me these things are the ones posting how the Vols are going to win in Athens, and they are calling me delusional. Volnation is divided once again. You have your "sunshine pumpers" who believe there is nothing wrong here and are content with 5-6 wins a year. You have your apathetic fans who just don't care any longer. You have fans, like me, who are mad as hell that this once great program has fallen off the face of the earth because of a series of bad hires. I think I will reside in this thread until it all plays out over the next 4 games.

Guys, the "negavol" label should be embraced and worn with pride. Turn the tables on ignorance. It drives them crazy.

Yeah, I don't want him either.

Common ground

aace_9edef0_0775.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Art Briles is a Mike Leach disciple that has never coached outside the state of Texas.

It would be a huge risk to hire a guy that feeds off of recruiting the leftovers in a talent rich state like Texas and bring him to a place where he has to actually leave the state to recruit.

Look at the team Gruden beat in the Super Bowl and ask yourself who built them.

An average coach doesn't take two teams to their respective conference title games, much less win a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson at QB.

An average coach doesn't have a winning record overall as an NFL HC.

Look at where Gruden came from. He worked under Bill Walsh and Holmgren, alongside Mariucci and Reid. You aren't "average" when you work on a staff with those guys.

It's mind boggling that anyone can say Gruden isn't the best available HC today. I don't understand it. College quarterbacks beg him to critique them before the draft. He won while working under Al Davis (who's the last coach to do that?) He's one of the most respected offensive minds in the game.

To ignore that because a defense got old and he was working for one of the worst owners in all of the NFL is absurd.

This is spot on. Living in FL during his tenure and following Bucs I believe this is an accurate assessment. If things do go south, his ability and cache will be able to retain our talent and also attract elite talent but most importantly I believe he could get the most out of our team. I also believe we would finally be going to a gun fight with a Smith and Wesson instead of pocket knife game day planning. play calling; hoping orange unicorns and rainbows appear in the checkerboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back