Johnny Majors Tribute Thread

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
I thought I'd start this - This is VOLNATION, I know there are many of you that have had personal contact and been influenced by Coach Majors. Let's hear your stories. I'll start it off by saying I worked in Gibbs waiting tables on the training table from '76-'80. I would study in there when the cafeteria was locked up. Majors would come in and ask for me to get an apple or something from the kitchen and sit there and talk to me as he ate it. I cherished those times.

Also, the Johnny Majors show after the Notre Dame victory displayed Johnny Majors true sense of humor and bravado. John Ward, being the professional, did keep a straight face, but how?

OK, let's hear your stories!!

30 years ago, my Dad had to pick up Johnny from our local airport for a speaking engagement. On the way back, he asked if he’d stop at a convenience store so he could get something for the plane ride home. He SAID he had no cash, so Dad gave him $5 and figured he was buying a beer or something. Majors walked out of the store with a big grin because he was completely joking the whole time. He got back in the car and handed Dad his $5 back and the receipt which he had signed and said “Here’s the proof so you can tell everybody you bought Johnny Majors an Orange Crush”.

Many years ago while Majors was an assistant at Arkansas, I was attending the Memphis Open Gold Tournament with another former track athlete. As we got together at the tournament, he told me that Majors was coming over to watch the tournament. He arrived and we spent the day watching the tournament together....later Majors left Arkansas to take his first head coaching job at Iowa State. Majors became the tailback after another UT great and one of the best all time punters Bobby Brengle graduated.

I want to raise a glass to Johnny. He gave his all for Tennessee.
tenor.gif

Even though John never won a NC at Tennessee, he still engineered many of the biggest highlights of my 55+ years following the Vols. Among those were:

1979 Auburn & Notre Dame games
1982 Alabama game
1983 Alabama game
1984 Alabama game
The entire 1985 season
1986 Sugar Bowl
1987 Kickoff Classic
1989 season
1990 Florida game & Sugar Bowl
1991 Notre Dame game

I always thought he was an outstanding sideline coach.

I never actually met him but I watched many of the games he coached. RIP coach, you will forever be a VOL.

One of the worst parts about getting old is your childhood heroes have to get old too. I'm thankful I got to see some of Johnny's greatest wins and watch his interviews with John Ward. I'll miss them both.

GBO 20200603_122050.jpg

VN Store

Back