Johnny Majors Passed Away

Jim Brown deserved the Heisman Trophy in 1956 he had 1042 yards from scrimmage and 14 touchdowns in 8 regular season games at Syracuse. Syracuse went 7-1 in the regular season in 1956 losing to 6-3-1 TCU 28-27 in the Cotton Bowl in which he ran for 200+ yards.

In hindsight, that's definitely right. To play devil's advocate a little bit, I think Brown got half those touchdowns against a cupcake and the 56 Vols went from a 6 win team to Top 2 in the country and undefeated during regular season. The only time the Heisman has deviated from its historical norms was when Peyton and Majors were up for the award.

In hindsight, that's definitely right. To play devil's advocate a little bit, I think Brown got half those touchdowns against a cupcake and the 56 Vols went from a 6 win team to Top 2 in the country and undefeated during regular season. The only time the Heisman has deviated from its historical norms was when Peyton and Majors were up for the award.
1956 Syracuse football schedule

@Maryland W 26-12
@Pitt L 14-7
West Virginia W 27-20
Army W 7-0
@Boston University W 21-7
Penn State W 13-9
Holy Cross W 41-20
Colgate W 61-7

1957 Cotton Bowl

TCU L 28-27

Just heard the news and my heart hurts. RIP Coach. You will be missed.

Yeah, and that used to drive me crazy too, especially with Chuck Webb in the backfield vs Colorado in 1990... but that is for another day. Johnny embodied UT football more than anyone outside of Neyland himself.

I'm a little surprised that Fulmer hasn't released a statement yet. He is probably trying to choose his words very carefully. He should put out something soon.

Damn straight, as sick as Johnnie was, it should have been already written. Shame on Phil.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Exactly my point; if it is a Tennessee nominee then they are pushed back. Manning should have won hands down.

... and Hank Lauricella should have won the Heisman in 1951 instead of the Princeton guy named Dick. Lauricella had more yards rushing on fewer carries and against much better competition.

I remember being little and listening to the older men sitting around the stove at the country store(it was called fat Haney's) and how excited they were about him coming home to coach. I also remember the newspaper headline that read When Johnny comes marching home it was the first memory I have about Vol football and the beginning of a lifetime of love of the Big Orange for me. This one hits home for me.
RIP Coach

Kinda a funny note. I was listening to a Majors podcast from not too long ago and he has almost an identical accent as my grandpa. It was very cool to listen to. My grandad told me a story about Johnny signing a football for him way back when he should have won the Heisman. Tennessee should name a part of the stands at Neyland after him. Also I want a statue of him saying Attack, Attack, Attack. This is genuinely depressing

Reactions: TigersTalons
AU losing Pat and you guys losing yours ,I totally get it. I may at one time have used my pic with PFD as my avatar. Losing these bigger than life LEGENDS in our time , it’s tough as a ole pine knot.

VN Store

Back