Johnny Majors Gravesite - took a little road trip yesterday to pay respects

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
I had my first day off in a while and decided to head to Tullahoma and visit the family cemetary there. On the way, I stopped in Lynchburg - I new the Majors family plot was there.
Interesting observation - the Covid crisis perhaps limited the size of the funeral, and it's too early to have a stone put up. He's there next to his folks and brother Bill, who was killed in '65 when the 3 assistant coaches were hit by a train in west Knoxville.
I was little, but I remember my Dad telling me what happened. Another observation - what's the length of a football field? 100 yards. How far away is Johnny Majors buried from Jack Daniel? 100 yards (+-5yds).
Here are some pictures. His is the grave with the flowers.
1597673289988.png
1597673324207.png

1597673349957.png
1597673373113.png
1597673423516.png
1597673479236.png
1597673504510.png
1597673531028.png

Attachments

• 1597673389600.png
    1597673389600.png
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 44
I had my first day off in a while and decided to head to Tullahoma and visit the family cemetary there. On the way, I stopped in Lynchburg - I new the Majors family plot was there.
Interesting observation - the Covid crisis perhaps limited the size of the funeral, and it's too early to have a stone put up. He's there next to his folks and brother Bill, who was killed in '65 when the 3 assistant coaches were hit by a train in west Knoxville.
I was little, but I remember my Dad telling me what happened. Another observation - what's the length of a football field? 100 yards. How far away is Johnny Majors buried from Jack Daniel? 100 yards (+-5yds).
View attachment 300481
View attachment 300483

View attachment 300484
View attachment 300485
View attachment 300488
View attachment 300489
View attachment 300490
View attachment 300491
OP

Reactions: ptcarter
View attachment 300481
View attachment 300483

View attachment 300484
View attachment 300485
View attachment 300488
View attachment 300489
View attachment 300490
View attachment 300491
What cemetery is he at.I would like to go pay my respects some time.

View attachment 300481
View attachment 300483

View attachment 300484
View attachment 300485
View attachment 300488
View attachment 300489
View attachment 300490
View attachment 300491
Thanks for posting for us Vols that live too far to see it in person. He was a great one as a player and coach. I met him several times when I was a kid and he always signed an autograph and talked with me.

About a year ago my wife’s aunt who is big into tracing ancestry and doing the DNA found out that they are cousins with Johnny Majors’ adopted daughter, when they found it out her aunt reached out to the daughter and she mentioned to her how my wife and I are Tennessee fans, a couple months later we received mail from her and when we opened it it was two pictures of Majors with a note from him to us and his autograph on both of them, it was pretty neat the way everything works out because we had been Vols fans way before we found out that info and that just made us bigger fans

Thank you for sharing this I didn’t know where the family was buried . Just not enough orange and white around those sites ( IMO )
I didn't either. I was listening to "Big Orange Sunday" a few weeks back. Doug Mathews has had Bud Ford on quite a few times. He is the former SID and a great historian. Has quite a few great story's and if you can pull up the podcasts from this summer - in spite of all the doubt going in in the world, there are a few gems there. .
In one of the shows, Bud Ford talked about how Majors was so proud of Lynchburg and how he'd take guests there and just ride around showing his favorite places. I knew his roots were down around Huntland, but didn't realize Lynchburg was really where he considered home. Didn't his Dad coach football at the high school there? Someone help out on that.
Then I saw a picture of the grave of his Dad and figured that's where Johnny is going to end up.

I grew up in Huntsville, and Mom was from Tullahoma, so I have passed through Lynchburg a thousand times over the years. I never knew he Majors plot was there and have been looking for a day off to make a sojourn, and went on up the road to the Oak Hill cemetery in Tullahoma to my Mom's family plot. What else to do on a rainy Sunday??

VN Store

Back