John Fulkerson Injury

Concussion? Probably, but not all concussions are the same severity. UFC fighters take 50 plus shots like the ones Fulky took.

I'm still hoping he can play.

This comparison does not work. UFC fighters train to absorb that amount of force 50x a fight, but it's completely different when you're expecting it. Fulky was blindly caught and took the point of a roundhouse elbow to the temple from a 225 lb man and that's a KO every time. Ain't no UFC fighter taking 5 of those to the temple, let alone 50.

Rudy Tomjanavich wasn't expecting it either. It's just different when you have someone that vulnerable.

Concussion protocol calls for removing a person from loud noises for a few days. No chance he’d been at the game the next day with a concussion imo
Yep and he appeared to have earplugs in a recent picture. Also reportedly had a towel over his head at the last game. Sure looks like concussion protocol to me.

Concussion? Probably, but not all concussions are the same severity. UFC fighters take 50 plus shots like the ones Fulky took.

Not gonna play Friday. We had better avoid foul trouble and injuries. Line we're walking is now razor thin.

I agree with you, though I believe that Payne's antics were actually worse.
The first forearm was innocuous enough, but the first elbow was nearly as bad as a punch. When coupled with the second elbow, it becomes much more egregious.
Well elbows are hard too! Certainly a factor in the damage it caused.

No they don’t.

UFC fighters are trained to take punishment.

Fulky is a college athlete playing basketball where throwing elbows is not allowed according to the rule book.

If Fulk was concussed which I'm pretty sure he was, it would take about a week for him to be back if everything went perfectly. He would enter protocol Friday night. Take a few days off from activity, then on Monday or Tues he would have to pass the IMPACT test. Evey athlete takes this test at the beginning of the year as a baseline and passing is scoring at or above that baseline, if you are concussed that won't happen. After that you move into low intensity exercises where they are asked if they feel dizzy or have a headache or any other symptoms. If it's a yes protocol starts over if it's a no you usually start over in protocol. Then it continues to ramp up to a full contact practice with no restrictions. He can be cleared in about a week which would be Saturday. But I'm sure to protect the fracture he will have a mask on so they will probably wait for that as well. I highly doubt he plays before the S16.

I agree with you, though I believe that Payne's antics were actually worse.
The first forearm was innocuous enough, but the first elbow was nearly as bad as a punch. When coupled with the second elbow, it becomes much more egregious.

Yes, he threw the equivalent of multiple punches.

Reactions: feathersax
There is no doubt that the issue is a concussion, There is no "day to day" on the facial fracture. It will not be healed and the surgeon would have given his opinion on day one, not day to day. Likely wearing a mask when he plays.

SEC should suspend him for the first 3 SEC games next year. Can’t let something like that happen in your own tournament without any consequences.
Then start writing to Randy, Donde, Danny and the league office! Fill up their inbox!!!!! 👏👏👏

VQ saying that they are hearing Fulky is leaning towards returning
I’m so excited to hear this. Fulkerson my not be the best post player we’ve had, but the man is a vol through and through. If he can have a good offseason, staying healthy, and adding necessary weight and shooting then he can be a key for us next season. He’s definitely going to be our leader on and off the court. Hope to see him play in the NCAA tournament, because he’s earned that.

VN Store

Back