John Currie has a dilemma on his hands...

Nared was the most consistent player this season and deserves a higher rating than Deshields.

Deshields played to her potential only when she wanted to, as many of the talking heads have constantly pointed out.

Jaime was big in the wins, but she was equally absent in most of the losses. I'd say both of them were about equally inconsistent.

I hope the decision to fire Holly is made this off season.

A big thank you to her for trying her best but it's time for a new coach to take the reigns.

usc-v-arizona-state-20130929-031934-422.jpg

X0012533873--111616.JPG

These 2 have something in common.....both are great assistants only....and both damaged Tennessee athletics in their given sport....I'm just saying.

Reactions: 4 people
Seems odd to me that with many coaches at UT who are not performing up to a high standard, some zero in on Holly. Why? Are you giving the other coaches a pass for some reason? Just askin'?

Most want Butch fired as well. Both he and holly will be gone after next season though.

Methinks the big-money boosters are going to lobby Currie hard to oust Holly before next season.

All fans should be writing/e-mailing/calling to voice their dissatisfaction. Even if no change is made now, make it clear the majority of the fanbase is not pleased with the current state of the program. I would say stop going to games, but looking at the attendance trend that's already taking care of itself.

Currie was here before in the glory days, he should have a solid understanding of the expectations....

Most want Butch fired as well. Both he and holly will be gone after next season though.

Sorry to make a football comment, but I still cannot understand why Fulmer was let go.

In both the football and womens basketball, the recruiting is ahead of the coaching, just more ahead with the Lady Vols.

meme got the ball with a shot-clock burning down.
She got those feeds from dd.

What do you do when you get a pass, from your scorer, with under 5-6 on the shot clock...you shoot!

I don't fault meejay. She knows she is not a designated shooter. But when you get the ball deep in the clock, you have to hoist something!

operative word hoist. Worst shooting moton in d1. Loss on defense. I lost count of the numbero f back door cuts she was burned on this year. She is a high enery player. She has to be coached that speed does not in it self make a good bballer.

Currie's not going to fire any coach this year. UT is underachieving in all major sports, so he'll give the coaches a year to see who turns things around and who doesn't. Betcha he fires one of the usual suspects after next season, though.

He may be hiring 4 coaches in the next 2 years.

Currie's not going to fire any coach this year. UT is underachieving in all major sports, so he'll give the coaches a year to see who turns things around and who doesn't. Betcha he fires one of the usual suspects after next season, though.

And he shouldnÂ’t. He needs to evaluate performances himself and not relay on uninformed posters on these boards.

Reactions: 3 people
And he shouldnÂ’t. He needs to evaluate performances himself and not relay on uninformed posters on these boards.

What has Warlick accomplished since she took the job at the premier basketball program in the country? Here's the answer: NOTHING. Three elite eight appearances mean nothing--this is Tennessee, man--and by the way we lost all three of those games and were TERRIBLE in all three of them. It's more like, what new LOW will we hit this year. We have had two of the worst regular seasons in our history the last two years--despite having more talent that maybe two teams in the country--thanks to this lame coach. We've been seeded 7th and 5th in the last two SEC tournaments. We dominated the SEC for 20 years; now, lousy teams in the league beat us. We played the last quarter last night the same way we played in the three elite eight losses--mentally folded. We win games only when the players can win themselves, that is obvious. Warlick has been a disaster. We'll be as irrelevant as Old Dominion if she "leads" this program much longer.

Reactions: 1 person

uninformed posters.
Do you read this board?
There are many very knowledgeable BB people on this forum.
More importantly, posters, who care enough to post on this page for an entire season and some all year long...This forum is a window that can be looked out of, or looked in to.

Currie ran off the men's basketball coach from Kansas State in Frank Martin, who has taken South Carolina to their first ever Sweet Sixteen.

Currie would be the biggest fool in college athletics if he were to fire Holly Warlick, who has the Number One recruiting class in America coming in next season.

You can curse, make threats against UT, cry salty tears, and attack other people on this board, but Holly will be the Lady Vols coach for the next TWO (2) seasons.

There are probably 50 coaches who'd coach UT for the same money Warlick is getting and be significantly better.

Use of the word probably lets one know that you have no idea. Name 5 that you absolutely know that would leave what they're doing and come to UT.

They would have achieved if they had been given the talent of the Lady Vols. Open your eyes

Then, why aren't our current coaches in those areas recruiting to a higher level and coaching up the ones they land? Open your eyes.

What coaches? Barnes has only been here two seasons. Butch got here when Holly took over and the football program is significantly better now. The women's basketball program is significantly worse...

The football program has a long ways to go. There are teams you need to beat and some teams that you never lose to. We're not close. The bowl wins were basically tomato can wins. I'd put BJ on the hot seat before anyone else. Football is the main sport.

The football program has a long ways to go. There are teams you need to beat and some teams that you never lose to. We're not close. The bowl wins were basically tomato can wins. I'd put BJ on the hot seat before anyone else. Football is the main sport.

Two points:
1. If you don't think Butch's seat is getting warm, you are obviously out of touch with Vol Nation.
2. The fact that fans care far more about football than women's basketball doesn't change the fact that Butch has done a much better job than Holly when you look at where the programs were then versus now.

Two points:
1. If you don't think Butch's seat is getting warm, you are obviously out of touch with Vol Nation.
2. The fact that fans care far more about football than women's basketball doesn't change the fact that Butch has done a much better job than Holly when you look at where the programs were then versus now.

I'd have to argue that point. In basketball, it's getting to the NCAA tourney. In football, it's getting to the play off games for the NCAA championship. Who has come closest in the 5 year span?

I'd have to argue that point. In basketball, it's getting to the NCAA tourney. In football, it's getting to the play off games for the NCAA championship. Who has come closest in the 5 year span?

And I would argue you are really grasping at straws. 64 teams make the NCAA tournament. 4 teams make the college football playoff. Not even close to the same measure. And you continue to ignore the trends for both teams..... kinda relevant here....

Reactions: 4 people

That is absurd. Getting to the play-offs in football requires you to be one of the top four teams in a very competitive league where lots of schools throw huge amounts of resources at a single goal.

In women's basketball you have to be one of the top 64 teams in a league where the programs only exist because they are mandated to exist. And TN is one of the few programs which allocates any resources or has any fan support. The teams which are whipping us are from schools that don't even care what their women's teams do, and which spend a lot less money on them.

Making an Elite Eight at Tennessee in women's basketball is like going to the Music City Bowl in football. If is a disappointment, and will get a coach fired if that is the best they can do. Watch and see if that isn't true in the case of both Butch and Holly.

Making an Elite Eight at Tennessee in women's basketball is like going to the Music City Bowl in football. If is a disappointment, and will get a coach fired if that is the best they can do. Watch and see if that isn't true in the case of both Butch and Holly.

At least Butch's team finished ranked in the top 25....

Currie will fix football first. Bank on it. It's the cash cow that feeds the non-revenue sports. Butch made changes to address problems so it's entirely possible he will get football tracking and Currie's attention will focus elsewhere.

Most likely, UT will continue to forego extensions, allow Holly's contract to expire and she will "retire" quietly or be shuttled into an administrative/figurehead position. If the LVs don't make the NCAAT or have another early exit in the SECT next year, UTAD may encourage Holly to take a different role. But a controversial public firing in WBB is exactly what UT doesn't want.

Reactions: 2 people
He won't do anything his first year as far as firing coaches. In the three major sports, football, men's basketball and women's basketball, none have achieved anything meaningful, IMO. Men's baseball looks like it's headed toward another so so season and women's softball is yet to be determined. As long as Tennessee (boosters) want to low ball the money for coaches, why fire anyone only to replace them with the same or lower ability due to cost?

hard to complain about softball :)

I do think that CHW will be here 2 more years and the heat is about to be ramped up

Lady Vol basketball program was a perennial contender for 30+ years until now. Now UT is the same as any other school in the SEC or other power 5 program. Unfortunate circumstances occurred and now it is what it is.

Here's the dilemma:

Fire Holly now:

1. The Holly/Pat connection - Pat's not here anymore, would she be disappointed if she were here? Would she try to silently nudge Holly out? Would it tarnish Pat's reputation if you fire her pick?
2. Loyalty. VFL. No doubt Holly would bleed orange if you cut her. See #1 above. VFL is a real thing. Tough to show them the door.
3. Have to find a coach that can coach and recruit
4. Have to find a coach that is not polarizing for fanbase
5. Have to retain current roster
6. Have to retain recruiting class
7. This is your first major decision. Sets a precedent.

Keep Holly:

1. Loyalty. She's a VFL. And her biggest fan is the greatest ever. Why would you doubt that?
2. Fanbase is big on Pat and Pat's handpicked successor.
3. With this big class coming in she will right the ship.
4. Did I mention VFL and Pat's pick?
5. This is your first major decision. Sets a precedent. (Same as the "fire" group, but still a real factor).

It's a tough spot. But the trend over the last few years is going down. Need to stabilize and get back up on the top of the heap. No way this team with its resources, backing and tradition should not be a final four threat every year at a minimum.

I have seen the responses to this thread since it came on, and I cannot resist commenting.... for I think the decision is not a hard one.... it just comes down to the question of whether he feels the program is going in the right direction.... if so, keep her... if not let her go.... it is as simple as that.... there is no drama which should be involved....

You have 7 items under fire her and 5 under keep her.... ok lets number them one through twelve....

- #7 and #12.... this is your first major decision.... this does not matter.... that is why you got the job ... it is a lot of responsibility... and you will assume the responsibility whatever decision you make....

- #1, #2, #8, and #11 - Loyalty to UT and Pat, and the connection with Pat..... Loyalty is admirable and in increasingly short supply nowadays, however it should not be rewarded with an absolute tenure attitude with guaranteed job. WCBB coaching jobs at high profile schools are results oriented. Period. The tolerance is longer for women's programs because they do not have the profile and related pressure to win as the mens teams do.... but it still is there. Pat made some questionable decisions toward the end of her run as HC.... this was one of them... it is not sacrelegious to say we need a change.

- #5, #6 - Retain current roster and incoming recruiting class... these are probably the least important things i would decide on..... look at Mitchell at KY and the portion of his team he lost last year, and he went to Elite 8 i think with a ghost of a team.... look at Reuek at Oregon St.... he had NO TEAM 7 years ago... even put an ad in the student paper... I know some think the program rises and falls on this incoming class, but it absolutely does not. Besides I can name 6 or 7 players who were ranked nationally in the top 5 or 6 in recent years who came here and they did not achieve much.

- #10 incoming class will right the ship... related to previous text

- #3 - coach needed who can coach and recruit..... I propose that we need a coach who can coach more importantly than anything else.... the recruiting will fall in line behind that.

- #4, #9 - Affect on the fan base.... these are the most important concerns IMO, of the 12 items listed.... it is important to keep your fan base happy. However it is not life and death. If AD feels strongly a certain way, he should decide what is best for the program.

VN Store

Back