John Bean......The Real Leroy Mercer

The OK guys are sorry imitators. They claim it's a coincidence but it's too close to not be a blatant copy cat.

I personally don't care who did what first because it's all funny to me. John Bean, Roy D Mercer are both hilarious. I got legit entertainment from both.

I remember being a kid and hearing that stuff and practically being in tears from laughing so hard.

This is also a great prank call with a ton of salty language.

Another great one!

I think that it was a local piano player named Marcus Shirley that got some of that stuff onto the cassettes.

Last edited:
My buddies and I still use " 'bout 3 times" in our daily lexicon....as in:

"You'll thank full of Sh%t when I whoop your damn a$$ 'bout 3 times!"

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I gotta say, everybody always talks about Eddie’s Auto, C&C and Thom McAnn and those are funny, but the real comic improv artistry is in Pigs, Plots and Mrs. Galyon. The first three are just hilarious belligerence but those others show so much imaginative depth of character, like he’s just creating layers of story and background on the fly while egging these people on. If he didn’t work out those characters and their backstories and personalities ahead of making the calls, then he was a straight up comic genius.

I was introduced to these bootleg tapes as a Freshman at UT (1988). More recently I bought the CD and loved listening to it over an over. It may be the single funniest thing I've ever heard.

On the tape we had in college, there were a couple of other bits with him calling C&C Auto again, etc. Anyone have a copy of the ones not on the CD???

Also on the bootleg tape were The Drunk Preacher, Al White Motors, etc. etc. etc. I have found the drunk preacher but never Al White Motors and the infamous Benny....anyone know where this is as well????

You can find Benny on YouTube ....the story behind that is awesome

Reactions: Hurley Mooncalf
I gotta say, everybody always talks about Eddie’s Auto, C&C and Thom McAnn and those are funny, but the real comic improv artistry is in Pigs, Plots and Mrs. Galyon. The first three are just hilarious belligerence but those others show so much imaginative depth of character, like he’s just creating layers of story and background on the fly while egging these people on. If he didn’t work out those characters and their backstories and personalities ahead of making the calls, then he was a straight up comic genius.

Agree - Plots and Mrs. Galyon is really amazing. The stroke exchange is gold. Lines like "a pretty bad stroke?" and "they saved the baby? Well Praise Be! that kid 'll never amount to nothing" Gold

I'd love to meet the guy "Reverand Arnwine" was talking to about the buffalo and the civil war.. that dude was a trip

Is this the same guy that they used to roll out on John Boy and Billy? I seem to remember the funeral plot call.

Pretty sure that's Willie P. Richardson.

Roy D. Mercer might be a ripoff of John Bean/Lee Roy Mercer, but he's still funny.

in my personal life, i've tried to replicate the tone, voice quality, and cadence of a man...in comfortable clothing, midday, seated on a pleather couch, relaxed, with not a single thing on the docket. But to call one mechanic a 'muther ****er.'

I cannot.

VN Store

Back