Joe Milton - Second-Year Surge

Nah I’m good. HH then maybe 1-2 yrs of Tayven then on to Nico.

You can never have too many tho with the QB attrition these days. Just not much confidence in JM3 personally.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I am pulling for any young man wearing the Orange and White for TN and that includes Milton. That being said ... kid has been playing college football for awhile now and his game results do not even get close to matching his hype and potential. For a kid with that type of physical make up to play so timid is telling. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Then TJ would be foolish to teleport. Surely, as a frosh, he's smart enough to understand Milt-3 has game experience, is steeped in the Heup system, has chemistry with the receivers, and two years time is gone. Surely, he is wise enough to know he has competition from Nico and other QBs on the roster. I cut and run just because Milt-3 starts would suggest he might have a bad case of Guarantano poutis. But I will just assume TJ is smarter than this and will work at knowing the playbook, working to be a quality QB, and more than ready when called upon.
I don’t believe Milton, Jackson and Nico will all be in the same QB room. If Jackson or Nico win the job I figure Milton will be gone. If Milton wins it I figure Jackson is gone. We are in a time where the NCAA has enabled kids to transfer without any penalties if they don’t get their way. I hope I’m wrong and all 3 stay after Hooker. Maybe Milton change positions to like TE and keep both JAckson and Nicko and Milton can be emergency QB if they both go down.

I don’t believe Milton, Jackson and Nico will all be in the same QB room. If Jackson or Nico win the job I figure Milton will be gone. If Milton wins it I figure Jackson is gone. We are in a time where the NCAA has enabled kids to transfer without any penalties if they don’t get their way. I hope I’m wrong and all 3 stay after Hooker. Maybe Milton change positions to like TE and keep both JAckson and Nicko and Milton can be emergency QB if they both go down.

Unless Milton does a complete 180 in his physicality, there is absolutely no way he could move to TE. TEs have to be physical and Milton definitely isn’t that despite having the physical tools to be so.

Joe Milton is a freak of nature. His upside is almost unbelievable. That potential is what makes everyone salivate at the possibility of him getting his issues corrected. Can you imagine that man's arm strength paired with CJH's ability to scheme receivers open??? Oh my!

He may be a freak of nature but he can’t hit the broad side of a barn. His inaccuracy issues were alarming. Repeatedly overthrowing wide open receivers by 5 yards or more is not easily corrected. For Tennessee’s sake and his I hope he fixes his inaccuracies but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Go VOLS!!!

Reactions: KHVol
He may be a freak of nature but he can’t hit the broad side of a barn. His inaccuracy issues were alarming. Repeatedly overthrowing wide open receivers by 5 yards or more is not easily corrected. For Tennessee’s sake and his I hope he fixes his inaccuracies but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Go VOLS!!!
I don't like believing it but you may be right. To me, it appeared that he was constantly trying to demonstrate how strong his arm is instead of actually making the throw. Can that be coached out?

Reading most of this thread, at what point does the million dollar man Nico get the keys?
I seriously doubt he's planning to sit two years

Reading most of this thread, at what point does the million dollar man Nico get the keys?
I seriously doubt he's planning to sit two years
This year is Hendon's. Barring injury. If injured, that time belongs to Joe. Tayven will probably make an appearance here and there, but not enough to break his redshirt.

2023, next year, is anyone's guess. It will be open competition in spring camp, and perhaps into fall camp. Some might say it's a year for Nico to redshirt, but generational talent doesn't necessarily do that. So any of the three (Joe, Tayven, Nico) could win the job. We'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, Nico is not "sitting two years." He's still in high school. Has one more season of HS ball to play. Won't arrive in Knoxville until December/January at earliest. He will compete with Tayven and Joe for the job from his first minute on campus.

As others have already said, it is a very nice problem to have.

Go Vols!

Quarterbacks need a lot more than arm strength to be good. You need smarts, good decision-making, accuracy....He's got a long way to go, and decision-making is not something that's easily teachable...

Yep, arm strength being a man size wise amongst boys in High School works every time but in College the game speeds up and guess what all the players were the best player on their HS team. It takes more in college between the ears being a student of the game and a QB to be dynamic with the IT factor to be the player that can catapult your team over teams with higher recruiting. It is the common denominator in being on top. Unless you have 4 & 5 stars at every position like Georgia last year. Then you can have a Stetson Bennett. If Stetson had Milton’s measurable’s with his gamesmanship Heisman Trophy.

Me? I will believe what happens on the field when the season is here, and reality is riding shotgun.
iu

After Jerry Colquitt lost the starting job to Heath Shuler in 1992, he put his head down and kept working. By all accounts, he was ready to be a star in 1994, having evolved into a completely different QB. We all know how his season ended 7 plays into the season. He was still drafted in the 6th round by Carolina, with very little film.

Point is, a guy can quietly work behind the scenes and get a chance a few years later as a different and better QB. Let’s hope that’s Milton.

I remember the reports from fall practice were that Colquitt was hitting most every pass! Coaches were very excited about Jerry. Damn shame he got hurt! He would have shredded Ucla and who knows how good He would have been .

I remember the reports from fall practice were that Colquitt was hitting most every pass! Coaches were very excited about Jerry. Damn shame he got hurt! He would have shredded Ucla and who knows how good He would have been .

That 1994 season could have been special. Instead, Colquitt got hurt and we started 1-3 trying to figure out the QB situation with Helton, Manning, and Stewart. By season’s end, Manning was coming along, but the meaningful games had been played. With Colquitt, that team beats UCLA, Mississippi State, and Alabama…and has a real shot to beat Florida in Knoxville. Just a devastating injury.

Last edited:
This year is Hendon's. Barring injury. If injured, that time belongs to Joe. Tayven will probably make an appearance here and there, but not enough to break his redshirt.

2023, next year, is anyone's guess. It will be open competition in spring camp, and perhaps into fall camp. Some might say it's a year for Nico to redshirt, but generational talent doesn't necessarily do that. So any of the three (Joe, Tayven, Nico) could win the job. We'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, Nico is not "sitting two years." He's still in high school. Has one more season of HS ball to play. Won't arrive in Knoxville until December/January at earliest. He will compete with Tayven and Joe for the job from his first minute on campus.

As others have already said, it is a very nice problem to have.

Go Vols!
I get all of that but some in this thread seem to think Joe is going to be the man in 2023. And if he's all that 2024 as well.
That would sit Nico two seasons. I don't see that happening.

That 1994 season could have been special. Instead, Colquitt got hurt and we started 1-3 trying to figure out the QB situation with Helton, Menning, and Stewart. By season’s end, Manning was coming along, but the meaningful games had been played. With Colquitt, that team beats UCLA, Mississippi State, and Alabama…and has a real shot to beat Florida in Knoxville. Just a devastating injury.

The truth, and well said. Thanks.

VN Store

Back