Job Interviews After the Delmonico

Does anybody remember some of the coaches, other than raleigh, who interviewed for the spot after Delmonico?

Some guy from UC-Irvine interviewed, but I think he quickly withdrew his name because Irvine is a better job.

It was Dave Serrano, who's now HC at Fullerton. He was an assistant here in the mid-90s.

Last edited:
Did you expect Joe Torre to fill out an application? I'm sure some very good coaches were interested, but I'm not sure if a "big name" in college baseball even exists.

The state of Tennessee's baseball program was left lower than what Pearl inherited when he first accepted the basketball position.

The only thing worse about the baseball program vs the basketball program, at the point of both coaching changes, was the fact that Delmonico had a horrible relationship with TN HS coaches. I do understand that those relationships are much more important for a non-revenue coach to have, but it wasn't like Buzz was the best man of the TSSAA. Other than that, the baseball program was actually in better shape than the hoops. Both teams had awful grad rates. The baseball program had made the "elite eight" (CWS) three times the the dozen years before Raleigh got the job. Our hoops program hasn't even sniffed an elite eight, and hadn't made the tourney in 5 years. We had a 23k arena that wasn't even an advantage, at all, more like a giant quiet room. There wasn't that fancy practice facility either.

Well, if Todd doesn't get it together in the next two years we will be talking about the interviewing process again.

Did you expect Joe Torre to fill out an application? I'm sure some very good coaches were interested, but I'm not sure if a "big name" in college baseball even exists.

Pat Casey, Mike Fox, Pat Murphy, Wayne Graham are pretty big names, but Tennessee would be a step down for them. Plus, they've all pretty much built programs and there is no need to leave.

Now, getting a guy that came from under their wings would be like getting your up and coming offensive coordinator in football.

At this point, without some kind of streak this year or a crazy season next year, I don't see Raleigh lasting long.

VN Store

Back