JJJ Question

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I’ve never seen a 6’6 214 pound guard with an NBA ready body, settle for jump shots as much as JJJ.

In the game, there was plenty of opportunities to drive to the basket, possibly to draw a foul but he would settle for a 3 point shot.

I understand his shooting percentage has improved throughout the season. However, his three ball wasn’t falling and it hurt us on quite a few possessions.

I’m no HC, maybe Barnes wants him to take those kind of shots, but with his size, he should be getting to the rim with ease.

I’ve never seen a 6’6 214 pound guard with an NBA ready body, settle for jump shots as much as JJJ.

In the game, there was plenty of opportunities to drive to the basket, possibly to draw a foul but he would settle for a 3 point shot.

I understand his shooting percentage has improved throughout the season. However, his three ball wasn’t falling and it hurt us on quite a few possessions.

I’m no HC, maybe Barnes wants him to take those kind of shots, but with his size, he should be getting to the rim with ease.

I don't think the word "question" means what you think it means.

He doesn't take opportune drives much but in this game, I'm sure he would have drawn a charge. It was written somewhere in the Refs hospitality room "Thou shall not allow orange ppl to take it to the basket (the restricted area be
Da3med is allowed for reddish uni's only) any orange encroachment is penalized with a charge Foul".
Remember refs we cater the after-game meals.

He is back to the old JJJ as far as shooting goes. Needs to be aggressive to the basket and use his midrange game.

He’s our best defensive player covering 1-5, best mid range shooter and best rebounding guard. There was no lane for him last night given they chose not to guard our 5, and the refs let them step into take imaginary charges. He hit some mid range shots, a dunk, and was off from three with a good defender on him. It’s hard to judge his offensive performance given the defense, the foul trouble, and the refs taking the driving lane, but we find a way…

Driving to the basket is not in his DNA. You see it on occasion, but it's not his game.
Driving from the low wing means the baseline, and even sideline can serve as an extra defender. When teams have overcommitted to stopping Santi’s outside shot, or stopping Chandler’s drive, the wing drive is open. In those instances, Chandler takes it. He smartly does not drive his defender into secondary help, because that’s the lowest odds lane for an outlet pass. In this offense every perimeter player looks for another player with a better shot first. This is not a “give Jordan the ball” version of motion. It’s pass first motion. What we need right now is consistent inside scoring. If we get that, no one will complain about our guards not getting looks.

If Aidoo can play more and make some shots from the elbow area... we win this game going away. Ark DARED us to take that shot. Aidoo hit one... never saw him again. STUPID rotations. Uros and HH are useless on offense. Useless.

Uros was at least 0 for 4 on Free throws that I remember. They should at least limit him after the team goes into the 1 & 1 on foul shots. That may be why Barnes plays him at the beginning of the game and start of 2nd half. He is a good defender but does virtually nothing for the O.

The coaches game plan warned the players about the high probability of drawing charges. One could argue that James listened and Chandler/Vescovi didn't believe them. Arky did a good job taking away the inside, albeit with some buy in from the one ref on charge calls vs blocking.
What would have made the difference? Someone, anyone, hitting some 3's from the outside on an away court... 1-9, 1-5 & 0-6 on three's from Chandler/Vescovi/James doesn't win ball games for a team that was expected this year to shoot, and more importantly, hit a threes. Z hit 2-3 three's but went 0-5 on other shots... welcome to SEC ref'ing at away games (just ask UK about TBA this week)

For as multifacted as JJJ is, he is not a confident dribbler in traffic or explosive off the bounce. He's taking more mid range shots and going to the hoop more than he used to.

Reactions: VOLED and walkenvol
He doesn't take opportune drives much but in this game, I'm sure he would have drawn a charge. It was written somewhere in the Refs hospitality room "Thou shall not allow orange ppl to take it to the basket (the restricted area be
Da3med is allowed for reddish uni's only) any orange encroachment is penalized with a charge Foul".
Remember refs we cater the after-game meals.
I’d call charges too for some post game salsaritas!
GBO!!

He’s our best defensive player covering 1-5, best mid range shooter and best rebounding guard. There was no lane for him last night given they chose not to guard our 5, and the refs let them step into take imaginary charges. He hit some mid range shots, a dunk, and was off from three with a good defender on him. It’s hard to judge his offensive performance given the defense, the foul trouble, and the refs taking the driving lane, but we find a way…
Very true. If the team does not improve, they will remain a top 20 team, not a top 10 team. They’ve got to improve in order to get to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

JJJ should be driving the ball a lot more to the hoop and he has started to take a few more mid range jumpers in the last three to five ball games.

I still think he's one of the most overrated five stars I've seen at TN; however, he's played his best basketball since missing that buzzer shot at TX. His defenders cite his sometimes efficient stat line. It's easy to see the problem isn't his skill set, it's his lack of aggressiveness. Taking the ball up strong, battling for rebounds, posting up smaller defenders, etc...

I've pretty much given up on him doing those things. I've just settled on being appreciative of his play since that Texas miss.

I get your point, and it’s good. Getting to the rim “with ease” just doesn’t happen often or with ease, especially with half court sets.

Uros was at least 0 for 4 on Free throws that I remember. They should at least limit him after the team goes into the 1 & 1 on foul shots. That may be why Barnes plays him at the beginning of the game and start of 2nd half. He is a good defender but does virtually nothing for the O.
On both of his shots he should’ve dunked it. He was literally under the basket and tried to lay both in. Barnes should demand he go for the dunk every time

I think we have to accept JJJ with who he is. He is a very good defender and has improved in that area each year. A pretty good rebounder but he was that from day 1 his frosh year. I do like the fact that he is being a touch more aggressive and has shown some hints of a mid-range game over the past 6-7 games. That is encouraging. But there is no denying it. He is a poor shooter. Streaky at best. This year he is shooting worse from the field overall and from the 3 pt range than his previous 2 years. With this much data, you can‘t excuse it away.

So whatever he has done to improve his shooting hasn’t worked. Still, we are better when he is on the court. When he makes buckets we are a lot better but unfortunately it is maybe only 1 out of every 3 games that occurs. If he actually attacked the basket more I think he could average 10 pts per game consistently, but he doesn’t have that gene.

I think we have to accept JJJ with who he is. He is a very good defender and has improved in that area each year. A pretty good rebounder but he was that from day 1 his frosh year. I do like the fact that he is being a touch more aggressive and has shown some hints of a mid-range game over the past 6-7 games. That is encouraging. But there is no denying it. He is a poor shooter. Streaky at best. This year he is shooting worse from the field overall and from the 3 pt range than his previous 2 years. With this much data, you can‘t excuse it away.

So whatever he has done to improve his shooting hasn’t worked. Still, we are better when he is on the court. When he makes buckets we are a lot better but unfortunately it is maybe only 1 out of every 3 games that occurs. If he actually attacked the basket more I think he could average 10 pts per game consistently, but he doesn’t have that gene.
He averages 9 points and 5.5 rebounds a game without reading your manifesto.

I love how 5-8 white guys who celebrate “getting Net” criticize players. Unless you can dunk, on a 10 foot goal flat footed, don’t comment.

VN Store

Back