Jimmy Dykes

1985Vols

Gave the basket Vols the kiss of death when he started throwing Accolades at us after we killed Missouri the other night. He has been saying “ Tennessee is one of the top 3 teams in the country” all week. Our
players must have been listening to him since they looked like they thought they could just walk on the court and beat Alabama. We definitely didnt look as hungry tonight as we have the past couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I guess we’ll find out pretty quickly if this was just a case of overconfidence or if this team has serious flaws.

Dykes wasn’t the only one singing our praises. Far from it.

Arkansas is a good basketball team that also relies on the 3-ball. Going to have to figure things out quickly or SEC play might get off to a less than stellar start.

You'd rather get these off nights out of your system early in the season, rather than lay an egg when it mattered most,

Tennessee never looked comfortable in the rotations after Springer went out, Barnes will fix it, particularly if they have plenty of practice time while school is not in session

It was a bad night. You could tell with the easy misses, foul shots that hit the front rim (if they don’t get there, they’re probably not going in) that the Vols weren’t focused.

Off night or not, Alabama exposed some weaknesses in the defense. They’ve gotta come up with a solution vs athletic teams like that.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Gave the basket Vols the kiss of death when he started throwing Accolades at us after we killed Missouri the other night. He has been saying “ Tennessee is one of the top 3 teams in the country” all week. Our
players must have been listening to him since they looked like they thought they could just walk on the court and beat Alabama. We definitely didnt look as hungry tonight as we have the past couple of weeks.

Without reading the other responses, I just want to say that I agree completely. It looked like we thought we could just walk on the court and win.

It's early in the season with new pieces to the puzzle. Bama is usually a hard game for the Vols. Honestly the Vols haven't played anyone other than " the no offense Cuonzos"

Reactions: cardvolfan
I was just way over confident when I saw Missouri whoop Arkansas. And then Alabama spoils it yet again.

Without reading the other responses, I just want to say that I agree completely. It looked like we thought we could just walk on the court and win.
No malice intended, but I always wondered when fans make that statement, what does it look like? Personally, I think Alabama played their best game defensively and created the perfect storm. Poor shooting from the field, poor free throw shooting, Alabama goes 8-11 from 3 in the second half of a previously tight game. Add in losing Pons for a while and Springer, and Alabama wins. I thought Tennessee played hard, but not well. I didn't think Tennessee looked like or thought for one minute we could show up and win. Barnes doesn't allow that in his camp.

Appears Springer is very important to the ball movement and scoring. Pons pressed the issue too much when he returned , couple of bad shots.Point guard cannot stay in front of anyone and putting up 15 shots is too many. Barnes knows all this and must be vert limited as to p guard options`.
I turn sound off when Dykes doing commentary

Reactions: LibertyVol
Appears Springer is very important to the ball movement and scoring. Pons pressed the issue too much when he returned , couple of bad shots.Point guard cannot stay in front of anyone and putting up 15 shots is too many. Barnes knows all this and must be vert limited as to p guard options`.
I turn sound off when Dykes doing commentary
Yes, Vescovi is just athletically not quick enough. He's not very effective with the ball either with a quick guard hawking him. Bone used to handle that just blowing by the defender and creating looks for himself or a teammate. Vescovi is not able to.

On a side note, last night was the only time I've seen a powerful show of emotion in four years from Pons. He slammed the padding with both hands on the goal stand after he picked up his 3rd foul. I like him being more aggressive, but yes, at times he was overly aggressive to a fault. Probably picked up two fouls that they didn't call.

That may be, but when it's Bama, no UT team should take the floor without being dialed in.

I guess we’ll find out pretty quickly if this was just a case of overconfidence or if this team has serious flaws.

Dykes wasn’t the only one singing our praises. Far from it.

Arkansas is a good basketball team that also relies on the 3-ball. Going to have to figure things out quickly or SEC play might get off to a less than stellar start.

There is a serious flaw.
When, like last night they couldn't hit a bull in the as- with a bass fiddle, defense can't win for you and I think the shooting performance against Bama's bigger and rougher players will turn out to be the norm. It amazes me how many teams come into our house and out shoot us (both men's and women's teams). In the big environment that is BTA you would think we would have a fairly big advantage (much like Vandy's odd place does for them) but no, we rarely out shoot anyone by very much. Watching parts of other games last night, I saw big guys, small guys, all types of guys shooting from long range, mid range all ranges burning the nets. It's almost as hard to watch what we do as apposed to what others do as watching our football team----

There is a serious flaw.
When, like last night they couldn't hit a bull in the as- with a bass fiddle, defense can't win for you and I think the shooting performance against Bama's bigger and rougher players will turn out to be the norm. It amazes me how many teams come into our house and out shoot us (both men's and women's teams). In the big environment that is BTA you would think we would have a fairly big advantage (much like Vandy's odd place does for them) but no, we rarely out shoot anyone by very much. Watching parts of other games last night, I saw big guys, small guys, all types of guys shooting from long range, mid range all ranges burning the nets. It's almost as hard to watch what we do as apposed to what others do as watching our football team----
Tennessee, even after last night's game, is still holding opponents to 29.7% from 3-point range. Alabama was shooting 30.5% from the arc before the game, and they hit 20% better last night, which is an outlier amongst statistical norms. They're not superhuman. They had their best shooting night they will probably have all year. Tennessee did limit their 3-point attempts to 20 from an average of 32.

No malice intended, but I always wondered when fans make that statement, what does it look like? Personally, I think Alabama played their best game defensively and created the perfect storm. Poor shooting from the field, poor free throw shooting, Alabama goes 8-11 from 3 in the second half of a previously tight game. Add in losing Pons for a while and Springer, and Alabama wins. I thought Tennessee played hard, but not well. I didn't think Tennessee looked like or thought for one minute we could show up and win. Barnes doesn't allow that in his camp.

The “players didn’t play hard” or the “players gave up” arguments are fans not wanting to admit that the opponent just executed better or have better players at positions. We have better talent, but Alabama just executed better. Plus, Petty, Jones, Primo, Schackelford, and Reese were 4 stars with at least one service. Bruner was a transfer from Yale and down to also Baylor and Maryland, and Quinerly was a 5 star transfer from Villanova. So, Bama has really good talent, too. Hard for some fans to see or admit it.

The “players didn’t play hard” or the “players gave up” arguments are fans not wanting to admit that the opponent just executed better or have better players at positions. We have better talent, but Alabama just executed better. Plus, Petty, Jones, Primo, Schackelford, and Reese were 4 stars with at least one service. Bruner was a transfer from Yale and down to also Baylor and Maryland, and Quinerly was a 5 star transfer from Villanova. So, Bama has really good talent, too. Hard for some fans to see or admit it.
Yes, I agree with all that. They are very talented, and can give anyone fits on a given night. I think Oats probably learned a valuable lesson for his own team last night: you don't have to shoot 32 threes in a game to beat a very good team.

Reactions: VolGee4

Coach Barnes has certainly done his best, but it just didn't seem like we were as quick to go after loose balls, etc. Everyone is human, and you can't expect them to be up for every game during a 25 game season. No coach can control everything, and very small differences can add up over the course of a game.

Alabama had very little control over whether we hit our free throws. When you are tired, you have to will yourself to concentrate, and make it happen. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I was thinking during the game. Maybe I overstated my case, but you know, it is easier to shoot a high percentage from 3 if you are wide open; and it would be hard to fault Pons's performance in the second half.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back