Jimmy Carter Appreciation Thread

BREAKING NEWS: Former President Jimmy Carter, 98, is receiving hospice care at home 'instead of additional medical intervention' after series of short hospital stays

The Carter Center said Saturday that former President Jimmy Carter has entered home hospice care.

The charity created by the 98-year-old former president said on Twitter that after a series of short hospital stays, Carter 'decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention.'

Carter has been married to his wife, Rosalynn Carter, for over 76 years, the longest marriage of any American president and first lady.

He was born on October 1, 1924, with the rarely used full name James Earl Carter, Jr. and raised during the Great Depression.

Carter is the son of a Georgia peanut farmer and peanut farming, talk of politics, and devotion to the Baptist faith were said to have been the pillars of his upbringing.

Her graduated from the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1946 and married Rosalynn Smith shortly afterward.

The couple has three sons, John William (Jack), James Earl III (Chip), Donnel Jeffrey (Jeff), and a daughter, Amy Lynn.

Carter served seven years as a Naval Officer before returning to Georgia, where he entered state politics in 1962.

While president, he established two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of Education.

19165186-8794237-Carter_with_his_wife_Rosalynn_and_their_daughter_Amy_at_the_Bapt-a-1_1601557391280.jpg

Carter with his wife Rosalynn and their daughter Amy at the Baptist church in his hometown of Plains, Georgia in 1976. Last year, Carter said he could not have managed being President at 80, appearing to take a dig at Joe Biden and Donald Trump's age ahead of the election

Jimmy Carter, 98, receiving hospice care 'instead of additional medical intervention' | Daily Mail Online

I wonder what faults the Trumperists and Republiars will accuse of him? His being a Democrat and all.
Though I voted for ole Ronnie, during Jimmy's second term quest, I thought Jim was too good for his own good.
For the era, least. The last, truly HUMANE Prez. I didn't want to see him wholly contaminated by the Beast, otherwise known as politics.

Can someone explain to me why presidents and kings and queens seem to live to be nearly a hundred years old, while us surfs seem to have an average life span closer to 75? Carter still alive in his upper 90's, Gerald Ford 90's, Reagan 90's, Bush Sr 90's, all other presidents since them still alive, QE upper 90's, price Phillip upper 90's.
There is something the medical community has that they won't share with the rest of us that keeps these people alive longer than 99% of the people they were born with.

Can someone explain to me why presidents and kings and queens seem to live to be nearly a hundred years old, while us surfs seem to have an average life span closer to 75? Carter still alive in his upper 90's, Gerald Ford 90's, Reagan 90's, Bush Sr 90's, all other presidents since them still alive, QE upper 90's, price Phillip upper 90's.
There is something the medical community has that they won't share with the rest of us that keeps these people alive longer than 99% of the people they were born with.
There is something to be said about living the good life. It's far more stressful to struggle to balance a checkbook every month

Reactions: Zues1
One of the people I have always admired most.
Quick story which I may have told before..............
About 25 years ago my wife, two daughters, and I took my wife's grandmother to his church to hear him teach Sunday School.
My daughters were 1 and 2. Rosalynn Carter actually kept my daughters in the nursery. When we picked them up Rosalynn told us she had changed a dirty diaper on the one year old.
The Carters met and had pictures made with all of the visitors.
About 3 years ago, my daughter (the one year old) graduated from GT. I sent President Carter an 8 x 10 of the picture we took years earlier, told him the one year old was about to graduate from GT, and asked him to sign the picture so I could give it to her as a graduation gift.
He not only signed the picture but sent a hand written not of congratulations. I had the picture and note framed and gave it to my daughter as a graduation gift. She now has it proudly hanging in her apartment in NY.

He was a good man but a bad President. His problem in a nutshell as President is that he thought everyone wanted to be a good Christian whereas in reality, if you're an Iranian, you didn't really want to be a good Christian.

Another fact: As long as we're passing around labels, he is an election denier:

Opinion | Trump's election denial is the Second Big Lie

Jimmy Carter says a full investigation would show Trump lost in 2016
Pure ignorance in your post. Nothing about the 25 years that preceded the Iranian mullahs taking power.

Reactions: EasternVol
Jimmy Carter 98?

H.W. Bush 94

Gerald Ford 93

Ronald Reagan 93

John Adams 90

Herbert Hoover 90

Harry Truman 88

James Madison 85

Thomas Jefferson 83

Richard Nixon 81

John Quincy Adams 80

Joe Biden 80*

Dwight Eisenhower 78

Andrew Jackson 78

James Buchanan 77

Donald Trump 76*

George W. Bush 76*

Bill Clinton 76*

Millard Fillmore 74

Last edited:
There is something to be said about living the good life. It's far more stressful to struggle to balance a checkbook every month
My parents didn't have to balance a checkbook when they were old, and I haven't either, but for some reason the overseers live longer.

The best medical care and the drive to get to the position is my guess

Weird story, I saw Jimmy Carter at a flea market in Murphy, NC when I was a kid. He'd been out of office just a few years.

I saw several dudes walking around with wires coming out of their ears going into their blazers and they were forming a circle around someone. Then I saw Jimmy and his wife,they were buying an axe handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
Maybe one of the last sane Democrats. I still never understand though how a Southern Baptist could remain in the party of Child sacrifice. Of course Bill Clinton did too, but Jimmy Carter actually believed. Carter’s cheerleading for the Palestinians is another head scratcher.

VN Store

Back