Jim Tressel (merged)

Ummmmm.....Volornuttin you know you on volsnation, right?? Don't matter what you say or post; people going to tell you how they feel about any coaching!!!

Before reading my post, try and take a few moments to read this article:
Jim Tressel could get hired after*flimsy NCAA show-cause penalty - Andy Staples - SI.com

I still say that Tressel might be the right guy and an absolute STEAL. I like Charlie Strong too and I think he could recruit with the best of 'em in the SEC, but with Tressel, his (and OSU's) loss...in regards to the NCAA trouble he got into...could be our gain.

Had he not gotten into that trouble, he'd still be coaching OSU right now...still a thorn in the side of Michigan and Penn State every year, and still one of the most successful College coaches today. I mean, record and recruiting wise, he's in the same conversation as Saban, Meyer and Stoops.

We'd only have to have him sit for 5 games, in order to get him. A 5 year NCAA Show Cause is NOT a coaching ban. It is simply a way to prevent a coach from dodging penalties he'd have to pay if he stayed put.

First of all...I think it's the rest of the Big 10 fanbase making much to do about absolutely NOTHING. Just like Bruce Pearl having a recruit over for a barbeque. Big freakin whoop. It was simply a matter of him trying to cover it up...why? Because they didn't want the NCAA trying to overblow the whole thing. I'm not condoning either coaches handling. But I do think the NCAA has a way of trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure he felt his players didn't deserve to get raked across the coals for something little like that.

Of course opposing fanbases are going to raise a big fuss. They want some relief from being terrorized by the guy every year. The NCAA is punishing him and OSU for him not putting the Hammer down on some of his players selling some of their stuff.

How in the hell is that even something to be penalized over? And no wonder he wanted to keep the NCAA out of their business. It's none of their damned business in the first place.I don't give a rat's behind if Terrell Pryor sells his jersey or not. So, IMHO, it's not something I think an AD should be concerned about. The guy paid/is paying their stupid freaking penalty, and I'm sure he'd not be inclined to do anything like it again.

But if Gruden is out of the question, Tressel would be a steal. He'd take considerably less than what he was making at OSU (especially if the AD can't get the NCAA to reduce the penalty down from 5 games...maybe 5 non-conference games instead of the first 5 of the season?), and that could help a great deal in getting the absolute best staff possible, while making Dooley's buyout easier to swallow.

SMH... Unbelievable what gets posted on here.

SMH... Unbelievable what gets posted on here.
Really? And your version of the facts are?

Read the shiite for yourself. Here is the full ruling (pdf). Below the link is a quote from the section that refers specifically about Tressel's penalties. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT A 5YR BAN:

http://espn.go.com/photo/preview/!pdfs/111220/ohio_state_report.pdf

The Ohio State University Public Infractions Report
December 20, 2011

As set forth in Finding B-2, the committee found that the former head coach violated NCAA ethical conduct standards when he failed to report his knowledge of NCAA violations and in doing so, permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition while ineligible during the 2010
season. That season culminated in a Big Ten Conference Championship and an appearance in a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) postseason contest. Further, in September 2010, the former head coach falsely attested that he reported to the institution any knowledge of NCAA violations when he signed the institution's certification of compliance form, which is required under Bylaw 18.4.2.1.1.4.

Therefore, the former head coach will be informed in writing by the NCAA that, due to his involvement in violations of NCAA legislation found in this case, the
committee imposes a five-year show-cause period upon him pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2-(k). During the period, which begins December 20, 2011, and concludes on December 19, 2016, the committee restricts the athletically related duties of the former head coach as follows:

a. He shall be suspended from all coaching duties for the first five games during the initial year he is employed as well as any postseason contest(s) during that year. During this suspension, the former head coach shall not be present in the venue where the games are played and shall not have any contact with other members of the coaching staff or any football student athletes while the games are ongoing.

Further, the head coach may not participate in any activities that are defined as "coaching," including, but
not limited to, team travel, practice, video review and team meetings. The suspension from the first five contests includes all coaching activities commencing when the team reports for fall practice through the
conclusion of the fifth game.

The suspension from the postseason contests commences at the end of the last regular season contest and expires at the conclusion of the final postseason contest. [NOTE: Postseason includes both a conference championship contest and a bowl game.

b. Any employing institution shall file within 60 days of hiring the former head coach (or, if he is employed at a member institution presently, 60 days after the release of this case), a report with the office of the Committees on Infractions detailing how it will monitor the former head coach so as to prevent a recurrence of the violations set forth in this report, as well as information documenting compliance with the restrictions imposed.

Thereafter, the institution shall file reports every six months until the end of the show-cause period, detailing its efforts to monitor the former head coach. If an institution chooses to contest these sanctions, it

Page No. 21

Ummmmm.....Volornuttin you know you on volsnation, right?? Don't matter what you say or post; people going to tell you how they feel about any coaching!!!
It's one thing to state one's opinion. It's another to present your opinion as fact.

Before reading my post, try and take a few moments to read this article:
Jim Tressel could get hired after*flimsy NCAA show-cause penalty - Andy Staples - SI.com

I still say that Tressel might be the right guy and an absolute STEAL. I like Charlie Strong too and I think he could recruit with the best of 'em in the SEC, but with Tressel, his (and OSU's) loss...in regards to the NCAA trouble he got into...could be our gain.

Had he not gotten into that trouble, he'd still be coaching OSU right now...still a thorn in the side of Michigan and Penn State every year, and still one of the most successful College coaches today. I mean, record and recruiting wise, he's in the same conversation as Saban, Meyer and Stoops.

We'd only have to have him sit for 5 games, in order to get him. A 5 year NCAA Show Cause is NOT a coaching ban. It is simply a way to prevent a coach from dodging penalties he'd have to pay if he stayed put.

First of all...I think it's the rest of the Big 10 fanbase making much to do about absolutely NOTHING. Just like Bruce Pearl having a recruit over for a barbeque. Big freakin whoop. It was simply a matter of him trying to cover it up...why? Because they didn't want the NCAA trying to overblow the whole thing. I'm not condoning either coaches handling. But I do think the NCAA has a way of trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure he felt his players didn't deserve to get raked across the coals for something little like that.

Of course opposing fanbases are going to raise a big fuss. They want some relief from being terrorized by the guy every year. The NCAA is punishing him and OSU for him not putting the Hammer down on some of his players selling some of their stuff.

How in the hell is that even something to be penalized over? And no wonder he wanted to keep the NCAA out of their business. It's none of their damned business in the first place.I don't give a rat's behind if Terrell Pryor sells his jersey or not. So, IMHO, it's not something I think an AD should be concerned about. The guy paid/is paying their stupid freaking penalty, and I'm sure he'd not be inclined to do anything like it again.

But if Gruden is out of the question, Tressel would be a steal. He'd take considerably less than what he was making at OSU (especially if the AD can't get the NCAA to reduce the penalty down from 5 games...maybe 5 non-conference games instead of the first 5 of the season?), and that could help a great deal in getting the absolute best staff possible, while making Dooley's buyout easier to swallow.

First of all, we are on the edge with regards to the NCAA. We need to have a perfect program, as far as the NCAA goes. One more slip up and we are done.
Tressell is not who we need to keep our ship sailing straight. Hart eluded to us having 2 more seasons of probation,so he would not hire him.
Secondly, with the exception of Terrell Pryor, most of the recruits that Tressel got were from Ohio. He doesn't recruit nationally.

Or an over rated coach competing in a week conference that couldn't beat SEC teams.

First off, it's spelled "weak". Second off, the guy had top 10 recruiting classes every year and won Big 10 championships. Third, just because the Big 10 is not as stacked as the SEC, doesn't make it weak. Heck, I can think of multiple occassions where Big 10 teams have stuck it to SEC teams. i.e. Michigan State vs UGA last year, Wisconsin vs. Arkansas 2007, Ohio State vs. Arkansas 2010, Penn State vs. Tennessee 2006. There are other examples, but you get the idea. I'm sorry and I know I will get flamed for this, but even though the SEC is the toughest conference, that doesn't mean that every other conference is weak. A prime example would be how TAM came into the SEC and won 10 games their first year in the conference.

Nobody know for sure who is going to be new H.C. at Tennessee but if I a betting man I say Tressel is not going to be a coach at Tenn.!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Hart mentioned Integrity. A 5 year show cause does not speak to a man with it. Can't coach for 5 games, or the entire prep/bowl game period(a month or more). Why not just give him the year off with pay? :eek:lol:

GTFO with this BS.

Let's not get Tressel, the 5 game ban is just too much of a detriment.

However...Jim Tressel is a good man and a great coach who made a mistake.

AV

Hart mentioned Integrity. A 5 year show cause does not speak to a man with it. Can't coach for 5 games, or the entire prep/bowl game period(a month or more). Why not just give him the year off with pay? :eek:lol:

GTFO with this BS.
You don't dictate who can speak here, hoss...so try again. I understand the whole situation, but the risk/reward may well be worth it. I still think with Peyton helping in the effort, that Gruden will still happen. But, IF Gary Patterson can't be had, then Tressel is certainly worth consideration. He would be at the very top, if there were no show cause ordeal. Again, he's already paid his 5+games penalty, so it's really just a matter of initial PR perception.

Can't honestly believe that Tressel would risk nuking his career for good, by not running an unltra-tight program. Our compliance dept is already on high alert, as it were, so I think Hart would have a better grasp of the REAL risks than you or me.

How would hiring one of the best College HC's over the past decade be a "Lame Duck" hire. People READ THE FREAKIN ARTICLE. I'm getting tired of arguing against nonsense due to the fact that people generally don't have a clue what is involved here.

How many SEC games have we lost here, just this season? How many games would Tressel have to sit out, at the very most? 5, and any bowl game in the first season. THAT IS A SLAP ON THE WRIST, folks! And simply because of that slap, we could steal an Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops level coach here.

Give it up man. I have been begging people to look at more than Charlie Strong's record at U of L and all they see is his record. Some people like to argue for the sake of aruging.

People keep saying it's just 5 games. Think about how long the ruling is actually for. START of fall practice to the end of game #5. Then IF they make a bowl game he can not coach at all from the last regular season game to the end of the bowl game. You can't hire a man and pay him 2-3 million bucks when he is not going to e around for more than 1/2 a season. On top of that, you have to hope by hiring him the NCAA does not decide to make an example of you for doing so. NOONE knows what the NCAA could/would do if a school hired JT right now. It's just not worth the risk.

Reactions: 1 person
tressel is getting a lot of congrats on twitter right now for taking the job.

VN Store

Back