Jim Chaney

Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely not among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.
Why is any of this true much less "obvious"?

Every year guys who didn't perform well the year before get better. If the players UT returns were compared to the players that other programs lost then you are probably right. But UT's more mature and experienced and developed guys now have a chance to play against guys with less time in CFB. You don't always know how that will play out.

I don’t think Pruitt did a very good job last year, he was pretty average at best....but the more I see the team play, they more I watch the individual players, I’m struck with just how few legit SEC players he had/has in the program. It’s really bad.
I don't think he was particularly well set up by Jones either culturally or personnel wise. I like his coaching style and personality more than Jones and think his attributes are more consistent with coaches who have had success at this level. But he did leave a couple of games on the field last year IMO.... however that IMO also has a lot to do with both JG and the OL. There were also times the D looked completely lost. That's troublesome.

I'm still not sure how much is personnel. I tend to believe that much of it is. We will see this fall. Pruitt will have two of his own classes in and two plus years of his development and training.

The thing that makes Chaney a really good OC is that he optimizes his best assets. My bet is that they are still in the process of determining just what those are. If UT gets all of its OL's in place and suddenly realizes they can push people around then they'll have a run focused O and compliment it with passes designed to open run lanes. If JG develops his decision making and the OL gets better at pass pro then it could be a pass oriented O with a complimentary run game.

I've never seen a truly "balanced" offense. One is always used more to set the other up. I'm not talking about statistical results but the strategy.... which one dictates what you do in the other.

A balanced O to me is that you are able to take advantage of what the defense is giving you. Not just try to.

We will see this fall. Pruitt will have two of his own classes in and two plus years of his development and training.
Agree with a lot of what you said and my question isn't really even important in the bigger picture, just curiosity.

How does Pruitt being here 20 months (in the fall), equal 2 PLUS years of his development and training?

Agree with a lot of what you said and my question isn't really even important in the bigger picture, just curiosity.

How does Pruitt being here 20 months (in the fall), equal 2 PLUS years of his development and training?
:D Probably a math error on my part.

Reactions: chargervol
A balanced O to me is that you are able to take advantage of what the defense is giving you. Not just try to.
That's not what I was trying to say. It just seems that teams usually end up being a pass oriented O that runs or a run oriented O that passes. Do you run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run? They're not the same designs. For instance, let's say you want to be a zone rushing O. There are pass concepts that compliment doing that. So your decision to be a running team... dictates the passing schemes you adopt.

hopefully that's clearer?

D's will try to take away what a team wants to do as their primary O then force them to beat them with other aspects of their O or even things outside what they "want to do". More often than not taking advantage of what a D "gives you" involves finding something within your system that works and not really wholesale departures from your system and philosophy.

The thing that makes Chaney a really good OC is that he optimizes his best assets. My bet is that they are still in the process of determining just what those are. If UT gets all of its OL's in place and suddenly realizes they can push people around then they'll have a run focused O and compliment it with passes designed to open run lanes. If JG develops his decision making and the OL gets better at pass pro then it could be a pass oriented O with a complimentary run game.

I've never seen a truly "balanced" offense. One is always used more to set the other up. I'm not talking about statistical results but the strategy.... which one dictates what you do in the other.

Yup balanced offense is a bit overrated. In fact, the better you are, the less balanced you can be and focus on what you excel at. Most modern analytic guys keep pushing more and more passing. The NFL has SLOWLY adopted what the numbers guys say is obvious, but they still have more room to go. Maybe a Leach offense is the end game, idk. Leach has won "highest coaching effect" (added value from coaching vs talent) a time or 2.

Passing is simply more efficient. Now, most studies are also done on the NFL, where QBs are more accurate than in college. But YPA is still much higher in college than YPC.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjt18 and Woke
Improves our talent base with each class AND coaches them up. Results lead to better talent signing and coaching THEM up leads to results! Tried and true formula. 😎

Reactions: JoAllan
Chaney's a great coach and I'mn glad we have him, but he looks like Baby Hughey's dad, how bout a diet there Jim boy

Last time he was here we finished 9th, last, last, 5th in rush per carry in the league...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we average like 36 points per game that year. Our defense was like swiss cheese trying to switch to a 3-4 defense without the right players to fit the scheme. We had to throw the ball because we were playing from behind more times than not. Hard to run the ball and control the clock like that

Last time he was here we finished 9th, last, last, 5th in rush per carry in the league...

I think it was 2011 not 2012 but I could be wrong. Tennessee did only average 90 yards per game; however that was the only year in Chaney’s 25 year OC career his teams did not average over 100 yards (OC at major college) and only 3 years out of those 25 did his teams not average 130 or more. His teams run the ball and do it very well.

Chaney will find some success despite our bad ol. The key will be staying ahead of down and distance. Expect some trick plays so we can avoid long drives. We need big plays on O.
We have some talent but not near enough depth.

VN Store

Back