Jim Chaney

Team never got better, didn’t improve throughout the year, that’s why I say he didn’t do a particularly good job last year. Obviously, he had (and now has) very few legit SEC players in the roster that he can win at a high level with. The 2020 recruiting class has to be among the very best in the country imo.
As I have said before, I'll be very happy with 7 regular season wins next year, or even 6, we just need to be a lot more competitive. Five 25+ point boatracings or anything close to that will kill any recruiting momentum we have. If we are competitive we can keep selling hope on the trail, even if it doesn't translate to a lot of wins (and it could, I think anywhere between 4-9 wins is possible, it's all about how we look doing it).

He definitely had success at Georgia, and while having to rely on younger guys with a young QB.

Chaney rarely threw the ball over 20 times at UGA protecting a young QB with NFL type RB's and road graders. When Bray was here he rarely went under 30 throws a game. I think Kirby throttled him at UGA and think Pruitt has the same mind set. So look for a lot of 9 of 15 completion games with no interceptions if all goes well. If playing from behind it could get ugly.

Is Coach Chaney considered a good running-game coach? I remember when he was here and at Arkansas, his teams mostly slung the ball around a lot. And at Georgia, they had a solid running game, but a very impressive passing game (perhaps which was available due to a good running game). That said, does he have a history of being a good running-game coach? I'd like to see Chandler and Jordan's full potential met.

Does he have an "open the running game up through good passing game" approach, or is it more of the traditional open up the passing game by running the ball?

I think he can adjust his offense accordingly. Some coaches ONLY do the west coast offense and wouldn’t succeed at other offenses
I think Chaney can effectively run any offense
I would guess that it depends on where the talent level on offense lies or what kind of defense he faces

Is Coach Chaney considered a good running-game coach? I remember when he was here and at Arkansas, his teams mostly slung the ball around a lot. And at Georgia, they had a solid running game, but a very impressive passing game (perhaps which was available due to a good running game). That said, does he have a history of being a good running-game coach? I'd like to see Chandler and Jordan's full potential met.

Does he have an "open the running game up through good passing game" approach, or is it more of the traditional open up the passing game by running the ball?

Good coaches game plan and scheme to players strengths , I think Chaney will do that , I just hope he don't have problems with his health he is packing lot
LBS on his frame ...……………………..GO VOLS

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I looked up our stats from 2012. We had a pretty outstanding offense that year (no defense to speak of... it was pathetic).

We averaged 134 rushing yards per game on 34 attempts
Neal, Lane and Patterson (WR) combined for over 1650 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns
This on a team that averaged 315 passing yards and 3 passing TD's per game
That year we averaged 415 total yards and 6.4 TD's per game.

Here's a couple videos:

Man, I had forgotten about Zach Rogers... so good.

Look how many points these teams are scoring on us.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely not among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.

The ONLY defensive players that have a chance to show up on an All-SEC honorable mention team are Alontae and Bryce imo.

I don’t think Pruitt did a very good job last year, he was pretty average at best....but the more I see the team play, they more I watch the individual players, I’m struck with just how few legit SEC players he had/has in the program. It’s really bad.
I happen to think you are wrong on about all of your assessments.

Our “best” players are nowhere near/among the best players in the conference. JJ is by far our most dynamic offensive player imo, but he’s likely not among the 10-12 best WRs in the SEC. Chandler can occasionally be dynamic, has excellent speed, but he won’t be among the best SEC RBs. Obviously, we won’t have a single OL among the top 25-30 OLs in the conference.

The ONLY defensive players that have a chance to show up on an All-SEC honorable mention team are Alontae and Bryce imo.

I don’t think Pruitt did a very good job last year, he was pretty average at best....but the more I see the team play, they more I watch the individual players, I’m struck with just how few legit SEC players he had/has in the program. It’s really bad.
Jujuan Jennings is not a top 12 receiver in the sec? Gtfoh.

I don't expect miracles out of Chaney this year. His track record is one of steady improvement of his offenses the longer he is in one place. If our offensive line is half as bad as it was last year, we will still be behind the eight ball offensively this year, and that would be true if Bill Walsh was the OC, there simply is no way to consistently scheme around an absence of run and pass blocking.

I don't expect miracles out of Chaney this year. His track record is one of steady improvement of his offenses the longer he is in one place. If our offensive line is half as bad as it was last year, we will still be behind the eight ball offensively this year, and that would be true if Bill Walsh was the OC, there simply is no way to consistently scheme around an absence of run and pass blocking.

Spot on. The fact that we dominated Auburn and UK was beyond amazing.
Auburn had a similar problem to what we did last year, basically they had their whole OL to replace after 2017. Still we shouldn't have beaten them, it was impressive. Kentucky was one dimensional and we got a lead on them and forced them out of their game. It didn't hurt they were deflated from losing the biggest Kentucky football game in 70 years the week before, still it was impressive. I would read a lot more into those wins if we didn't get promptly throttled the next two weeks by Mizzou and Vandy with bowl eligibility on the line. It's hard to know what to make of that.

Reactions: vettefool
Unrelated: I'd like to apologize for the immature silly comments I made about Chaney's weight in the Spring Game thread. I'm very happy to have Coach Chaney back in Knoxville, and should have kept my stupid comments to myself.

Go Vols!

Listen; to me it is worse to make a statement, then go on the apology tour. The truth is the truth and in JC's case; he is front and center and hard to ignore. Unless he has unknown issues that contribute to his obesity; (And that IS his issue) He needs to go to an Obesity Facility and get fixed. That extra weight is going to take years off his life. If we call people out for Smoking and other such detrimental health habits; shouldn't we address overeating? We are all charged with the responsibility of taking care of our bodies. My position is not so much to Criticize JC, but to question why he doesn't address it; an otherwise intelligent Man with the resources to fix it. Fire away.

Last edited:
Unrelated: I'd like to apologize for the immature silly comments I made about Chaney's weight in the Spring Game thread. I'm very happy to have Coach Chaney back in Knoxville, and should have kept my stupid comments to myself.

Go Vols!

Good of you to apologize for that. I'm sure he is aware of his condition.

At the same time, yeah he's huge! It worries me. Coaching is so demanding. If you don't have the predisposition to be healthy, then coaching can really do a number on your body.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
This. Please dear God I pray to all that’s holy that we see our tight ends catch 40-50 balls this year. Our WRS (God bless em, especially JJ) are average and utilizing our tight ends and making them an integral part of the passing game will make it so much more efficient and effective imho.
I wouldn't count on it, looks like we are going to continue to need our tight ends to block, we are going to need everyone possible to block.

Good of you to apologize for that. I'm sure he is aware of his condition.

At the same time, yeah he's huge! It worries me. Coaching is so demanding. If you don't have the predisposition to be healthy, then coaching can really do a number on your body.

Exactly! How can he be as effective if he can't move well? Coaching QBS requires moving from spot to spot; doesn't it? Throwing instruction? Surely some players whisper. It 's just not a good look; and it's very unhealthy. Maybe not PC to address it; but today's PC has gone to the absurd anyway. I have a friend that goes to the "Farm" and gets 30 lbs off in TWO WEEKS! Jim could start there.

He needs to get the trainers over there to help him. Looks absolutely huge and unhealthy

It’s pretty bad. We’re slow and undersized even after another year in S&C. Roster needs a lot of turnover even Fulmer mentioned it.
Pruitt has been here for like a year and four months brother. That’s a year and four months total that they have had S&C under him. We still have another 4 months to go til the season is underway. That will help

It’s pretty bad. We’re slow and undersized even after another year in S&C. Roster needs a lot of turnover even Fulmer mentioned it.
Reminds me of when Johnny majors took over. We had almost no s.e.c. Level talent. It took years for the Vols to become a top level team, and the conference was much weaker overall back then. I’m hoping we can improve but our overall play last year was disappointing, getting beat down by Vandy and mo. We will see and hope.

Pruitt has been here for like a year and four months brother. That’s a year and four months total that they have had S&C under him. We still have another 4 months to go til the season is underway. That will help

I agree. It hasn’t been long enough which is why I don’t see more than 6 or 7 wins. We just aren’t SEC ready yet.

VN Store

Back