Jim Boeheim retires

I really didn't have a strong opinion about him one way or the other, but I was glad he got an NC in 2003 with Carmelo.

I do remember a memorable quote regarding Coach Boeheim in a book written by John Feinstein in the late 80s. A media friend of Feinstein's was quoted in the book as saying that if a hemorrhoid could talk, it would sound just like Jim Boeheim. I guess that may be what Voldog 1998 was referring to.

Boeheim was a top coach for a long time--but he became the Joe Paterno of college basketball: took advantage of his stature
and, like Paterno, just refused to retire even though the program had been in decline for many years. Put the onus on the athletic department
to force him to quit, which it finally did. I don't think he's ever strayed from the 1-3-1 zone that is synonymous with Syracuse, but I haven't watched a Syracuse game in a long time.
I don’t think that comparison is very fair to Paterno. In his last seven years, Penn St was 66-20 with 3 top-ten finishes. He definitely went though a rough stretch from 2000-2004, but bounced back pretty well.

Good gawd....I didn't know that guy was still coaching. Dude goes way, way back. Sheesh.

It's pretty wild that you can last at a Big East/ACC power for 47 years off 1 title in your third decade and 1 final four per decade. Only won 5 conference tournaments. He did win the Big East regular season 10x, so there's that.

It's pretty wild that you can last at a Big East/ACC power for 47 years off 1 title in your third decade and 1 final four per decade. Only won 5 conference tournaments. He did win the Big East regular season 10x, so there's that.
1987 was one that got away. Syracuse had 3 starters who went on to solid NBA careers (Rony Seikaly, Derrick Coleman and Sherman Douglass) .... Indiana didn't have any. Bob Knight coached circles around Boeheim.

I couldn't help but think of my dad when I heard Boeheim retired. Because of our bitter loss in '77, he always cheered hard against Syracuse regardless of who they were playing and he would call Boeheim "Mr. Peepers."

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back