Jim Boeheim retires

Boeheim was announced as the head coach at Syracuse on April 3 (Sat) 1976. On that day, Johnnie Taylor’s song, Disco Lady, hit #1 on the Billboard Top 40. I don’t remember the Boeheim announcement but I remember “Disco Lady” very well.

Had to get his sons graduated. One was actually pretty good.

Buddy I think it was that was really good. Guy had kids old enough to be his grandkids,but to each their own on that. If it wasn't for his kids, I think he would have retired 10 years ago. He has nothing left to prove. Enjoy your senior years with your family.

Well overdue. A very good coach though. I remember 'Cuse quite well from growing up in NY (I had teachers put the game on in class during March Madness).

If you don’t mind me asking, what part of NY are you from YV? I grew up in the Rochester area.

^^^^ This ^^^^ was Jim Boeheim's first NCAA Tournament game at Syracuse. It was on Sunday afternoon, March 13, 1977 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Unfortunately ... they won 93-88 in OT.

Boeheim was announced as the head coach at Syracuse on April 3 (Sat) 1976. On that day, Johnnie Taylor’s song, Disco Lady, hit #1 on the Billboard Top 40. I don’t remember the Boeheim announcement but I remember “Disco Lady” very well.

Shake it up, shake it down
Move it in, move it round, disco lady
Move it in, move it out
Move it in, round about disco lady

Reactions: LibertyVol
The old Big East Conference in the 80s was as good as it gets.
The 1980’s college basketball was incredible. The Big East and the ACC were on a different level. I was 7 or 8 and I remember going to the ACC/ Big East challenge in Greensboro when Duke played Syracuse in like 89/90 or something . It was Derrick Coleman, Christian Laettner, Billy Owens, Bobby Hurley, lots of big time guys playing . So good that guys like that would stick around for 3-4 years.

Boeheim was a top coach for a long time--but he became the Joe Paterno of college basketball: took advantage of his stature
and, like Paterno, just refused to retire even though the program had been in decline for many years. Put the onus on the athletic department
to force him to quit, which it finally did. I don't think he's ever strayed from the 1-3-1 zone that is synonymous with Syracuse, but I haven't watched a Syracuse game in a long time.

VN Store

Back