JG - Underrated players ready for a breakout season

Carlitovol

::Straight cash homey::
Figured this would've already been posted but didn't see it. (Hopefully not a miss on my part)

So I randomly went to the ESPN NCF page and lo-and-behold, I saw orange in the header photo. Turns out there is an Insider article with under-radar players ready to break out this season.
(The good news is that because JG is the first player profiled, you can read all of it without needing a subscription).

LINK >>
Under-the-radar players ready for a breakout season in 2019

Pop quiz: Who had the lowest interception rate in the SEC last season?
You're probably thinking Tua Tagovailoa, right? It's a good guess, but it's wrong. How about Jake Fromm? He was terrific for Georgia, right? Well, that's the wrong answer, too.
The answer, you might be surprised to learn, is Tennessee's Jarrett Guarantano, who threw only three picks in 246 attempts, despite playing behind one of the country's worst offensive lines.

OK, one more quiz question. Who had the better season?
  • Player A: 59.4% completions, 7.8 yards per pass, 3.4-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 35% conversions on third-down throws
  • Player B: 62.2% completions, 7.8 yards per pass, 4-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 41% conversions on third-down throws
Pretty close, but you'd probably give the nod to Player B, right? Well, once again, that's Guarantano. The other player is Oregon's Justin Herbert, widely considered one of the top QB prospects in college football.

1562691602074.png

JG has his flaws but he played behind a crappy OL and has been subjected to questionable coaching. Last year, his OC had no P5 coordinating experience. The year before, JG tried to run Butch's scheme with an OC that had less coordinating experience than me......

he was sacked 8% of the time and pressured 39% of the time...what QB can withstand that and put up big numbers...
IF our OL is better I do believe JG will be much improved...
We also need to get our running game going also..and that starts with a good OL....

on posting in this thread...
BriefDistantAoudad-size_restricted.gif

JG is tough as nails and shows nice accuracy when given time to throw. He has got to recognize and feel where the rush is coming from. Also, for a duel threat coming out of high school... he sure looks slow running the ball. All in all I do think he has a good chance for a very productive season. Fingers crossed

I hope we get to see JG behind and improved OL this season

2018 SEC College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

JG was 14th in the conference in passes attempted, 12th in the conference in TD's thrown, 6th in sacks, 11th in passing yards, 6th in YPA
Most of your negatives just feed off the first stat for numbers thrown.

Threw the fewest passes but not the fewest TDs, or passing yards, or yards per attempt.

Yeah not wowing anyone with his.stats but they arent terrible when you look at it. And I would say is pretty good. He isnt the one holding this team back.

he was sacked 8% of the time and pressured 39% of the time...what QB can withstand that and put up big numbers...
IF our OL is better I do believe JG will be much improved...
We also need to get our running game going also..and that starts with a good OL....

Sam Ehlinger

Most of your negatives just feed off the first stat for numbers thrown.

Threw the fewest passes but not the fewest TDs, or passing yards, or yards per attempt.

Yeah not wowing anyone with his.stats but they arent terrible when you look at it. And I would say is pretty good. He isnt the one holding this team back.
I was just playing devils advocate with the stats.

Something else to look at would be plays run, I'm willing to bet Tennessee ranked at the bottom and that effects stats as well.

Reactions: Devo182

VN Store

Back