JG is with coach Zach Azzani @ Denver

I went back to look at his recruiting profile. Check out the coaches that recruited him. That's a heck of a list of names. Josh Heupel even offered him at OU.

Jarrett Guarantano Recruit Interests

It's proof that QBs are difficult to evaluate.

He had all the tools to be very successful. Just never could put it all together with consistency.

He had all the tools to be very successful. Just never could put it all together with consistency.

He wasn't inept as much as his so-called coaches were. What about Dobbs? Josh D had something in abundance that a lot of players, except Peyton Manning types don't. Exceptional brain power, that lets him succeed not so much because of his instructors, but despite them. But some folks insist on stomping JG long after he's down, instead of giving the slightest credit for any success he may have had. The Auburn game, for example. He remains in the NFL despite his ineptness during college, ineptness his detractors are so fond of pointing out. That wouldn't be true unless NFL coaches see something JG's detractors insist on being blind to, or intentionally ignoring for the sake of perennially criticizing him. The pro coaches who keep him around know more than the folks who just want to step on the guy's head, fingers, and nose.

Last edited:

If Hooker stays at VA Tech and you can write the same summary for him. Nathan Peterman probably isn't in the NFL if he doesn't transfer to Pitt and in hindsight, how fortunate was Michael Penix to have his scholarship pulled by Team Cornbread?

Tom Brady has more Super Bowl wins individually than any NFL franchise, but was a sixth round pick in the draft and part-time starter in college. Coaches and systems matter.

He wasn't inept as much as his so-called coaches were. What about Dobbs? Jos D had something in abundance that a lot of players, except Peyton Manning types don't. Exceptional brain power, that lets him succeed not so much because of his instructors, but despite them. But some folks insist on stomping JG long after he's down, instead of giving the slightest credit for any success he may have had. The Auburn game, for example. He remains in the NFL despite his ineptness during college, his detractors are so fond of pointing out. That wouldn't be true unless NFL coaches see something JG's detractors insist on being blind to, or intentionally ignoring for the sake of perennially criticizing him. The pro coaches who keep him around know more than the folks who just want to step on the guy's head, fingers, and nose.

Kid was tough as nails and to this day has yet to utter a negative word about UT despite so many of our "fans" making him their poster child for all the ills of the Pruitt era.

He wasn't inept as much as his so-called coaches were. What about Dobbs? Jos D had something in abundance that a lot of players, except Peyton Manning types don't. Exceptional brain power, that lets him succeed not so much because of his instructors, but despite them. But some folks insist on stomping JG long after he's down, instead of giving the slightest credit for any success he may have had. The Auburn game, for example. He remains in the NFL despite his ineptness during college, his detractors are so fond of pointing out. That wouldn't be true unless NFL coaches see something JG's detractors insist on being blind to, or intentionally ignoring for the sake of perennially criticizing him. The pro coaches who keep him around know more than the folks who just want to step on the guy's head, fingers, and nose.

NFL is very good at identifying players they can work with. Jalen Hurts this season is a great example. At AL he was not known as a passer and Tide fans complained about how he would pull it down a run too quick. As soon as Tua came along they were ready to bench him, i.e. his transfer to OK. But the NFL noted his strong arm and he had potential with the right coaching. Look at him now, played in Super Bowl. We will never know why Pruitt kept starting him but not sure it did him any favors.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol

I think he was a camp workout warrior. Had a big arm, make crazy throws. However, If you look at his high school #’s though, they were not worthy of a 5 ⭐️ prospect, probably not even a 4 ⭐️.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Kid was tough as nails and to this day has yet to utter a negative word about UT despite so many of our "fans" making him their poster child for all the ills of the Pruitt era.

He was in an almost impossible situation at UT. He never had a consistent offensive philosophy from one season to the next and the coaches didn't seem to know how to get the best out of him. I agree with you about how he carried himself and took a beating but never gave up. It would be a great story if he could somehow come into his own and find success in the NFL. All of us Vol fans should be rooting for him, IMO.

Would he have been good in CJH's system?
He has enough ability that coaches seem to think he has potential, at a minimum, every where he goes.

He was in an almost impossible situation at UT. He never had a consistent offensive philosophy from one season to the next and the coaches didn't seem to know how to get the best out of him. I agree with you about how he carried himself and took a beating but never gave up. It would be a great story if he could somehow come into his own and find success in the NFL. All of us Vol fans should be rooting for him, IMO.
The biggest problem that confronted Jarrett Guarantano was the utter incompetence of the coaching staff(s) that failed him. Jarrett has all the natural tools and talent to be great at the QB position. Unfortunately, there was absolutely no player development at UT during the "wandering in the wilderness" years between Fulmer and Heupel. Look at the improvement Milton made from his benching in 2021 to his obliterations of Vandy and Clemson. I hope JG gets with someone like Jordan Palmer (he is a successful private QB guru) in the offseason and truly has an opportunity to compete for a roster spot.

NFL is very good at identifying players they can work with. Jalen Hurts this season is a great example. At AL he was not known as a passer and Tide fans complained about how he would pull it down a run too quick. As soon as Tua came along they were ready to bench him, i.e. his transfer to OK. But the NFL noted his strong arm and he had potential with the right coaching. Look at him now, played in Super Bowl. We will never know why Pruitt kept starting him but not sure it did him any favors.

hurt's still can't pass but he's a helluva baller.did you see his hail mary that didn't travel 40 yards on the last play of the game.i was thinking at least bazooka joe would have hit the end zone.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
hurt's still can't pass but he's a helluva baller.did you see his hail mary that didn't travel 40 yards on the last play of the game.i was thinking at least bazooka joe would have hit the end zone.

That pass was lead pipe evidence that his shoulder was still screwed up. Not enough was made of that. He was soft tossing balls all day. My guess is that we'll hear something about a shoulder surgery in the offseason for Jalen Hurts

He really was put in a terribly difficult situation given the amount of coaches he had. I think if we’re being honest, he also had a problem w/ the lights.

He wasn't inept as much as his so-called coaches were. What about Dobbs? Josh D had something in abundance that a lot of players, except Peyton Manning types don't. Exceptional brain power, that lets him succeed not so much because of his instructors, but despite them. But some folks insist on stomping JG long after he's down, instead of giving the slightest credit for any success he may have had. The Auburn game, for example. He remains in the NFL despite his ineptness during college, ineptness his detractors are so fond of pointing out. That wouldn't be true unless NFL coaches see something JG's detractors insist on being blind to, or intentionally ignoring for the sake of perennially criticizing him. The pro coaches who keep him around know more than the folks who just want to step on the guy's head, fingers, and nose.
Matt Simms wasn’t very good at throwing the football while at UT…yet made the Jets roster for three seasons and registered some stats. Added five more seasons on the practice squad…so he gets a NFL pension someday. Doesn’t qualify him as a “success” as a Vol and nothing on JG’s resume at UT or Washington State does otherwise. I agree with your annoyance at constant references to him years after his time TRYING to win for us. But you can’t talk revisionist success into existence based on him making practice squads. The Cardinals and now the Broncos are kicking the figurative tires in search of potential talent. He’s benefited so far.

VN Store

Back