JG’s Growth at QB

Yet it was a FG game, and the blown coverage should have never happened. How does the defense get a free pass on that play while JG takes the blame?
I'm not giving them a free pass for that play. It should have never happened but my original statement that they played good enough to win still holds true

Reactions: 08Vol
There are actually a good amount of ways to talk positively about JG. The BYU game is not one of them. At all. As in stop it. Pick another another game to use as an example to support him.

If your opinion is that the Georgia State and BYU losses are squarely on JG, it is my opinion that you are blinded by your hatred for him. The offense scored enough points to easily win those games IMO.
If you would’ve been at the 1st 2 games and seen the receivers that were running wide open you would see why many people blame him for those two losses. He cost us 3 tds in each game at minimum. I’m talking guys running with 5 yards of separation and Guarantano checking down to a back that’s double covered. He’s been given numerous chances it’s time to move on.

I know folks like bashing JG on here but if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have won most of those games. With the upcoming season upon us, do y'all see him making a jump his senior season. Im praying he finally puts it all together like Dobbs and Crompton did their senior seasons. Also hearing JG gained 30 pounds this offseason. I just hope JG’s work ethic translates into wins.
At least he should be able to to truck some people!!

I don't get it...

How many sacks does he have to take?
How many late and misread throws does he have to have?
How much more terribly does he need to perform for some you to see that he just isn't a QB ????

I know folks like bashing JG on here but if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have won most of those games. With the upcoming season upon us, do y'all see him making a jump his senior season. Im praying he finally puts it all together like Dobbs and Crompton did their senior seasons. Also hearing JG gained 30 pounds this offseason. I just hope JG’s work ethic translates into wins.

Dear lord...we win those games in spite of jg. If he’d have been just decent, DECENT...we’ve have beaten ga state and BYU. And I understand your argument that he got better as the season progressed I just disagree. He as bad as any qb I can every remember suiting up for us. I hate to say that because I do believe he’s a good kid. But man he’s a bad qb.

I'm not being mean, but ... what growth?
Do you recall his first game as a freshman against Georgia Tech? He didn't play and the camera kept showing hat sulking freshman on the bench who was whining cause he wasn't playing. He's grown into a mature leader who loves his team, his teammates and his school. He's matured into the veteran that understands when he hasn't played well and gets benched and then has the maturity to come back in the game and lead the Vols to victory. He has matured to be the QB that throws for over 400 yards against Missourri when they try to make him prove he can't beat them.
He isnt the best QB we have had but he has matured, as a person and as a QB and doesn't deserve the constant ridicule from anonymous posters.

JG seems lifeless out there no emotion. He holds the ball too long . he doesn't make the right reads. He cannot lead a wr on a pass. He consistently. Underthrows the deep ball. He has no touch on shorter routes etc you can just go on and on about why JG is not a good QB. Praying that Maurer or Bailey can start the season !

If nothing else, JG will set the record for most inane and repetitive posts on this site. Every one of these threads brings the same litany of support/bashing from the same set of groups. I have stated my thoughts on the subject several times. I will only comment on the absolute obsession of UT fans over loving or hating Jarrett Guarantano going forward.

JG seems lifeless out there no emotion. He holds the ball too long . he doesn't make the right reads. He cannot lead a wr on a pass. He consistently. Underthrows the deep ball. He has no touch on shorter routes etc you can just go on and on about why JG is not a good QB. Praying that Maurer or Bailey can start the season !
Then why does he have such a high completion percentage and touchdown to interception ratio. Your description is more Randy Sanders like than reality. He shouldn't have stats in the top 300 QBs based on your analysis.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Then why does he have such a high completion percentage and touchdown to interception ratio. Your description is more Randy Sanders like than reality. He shouldn't have stats in the top 300 QBs based on your analysis.
For the same reason he doesnt throw for a lot of yards or tds...because he wont throw the ball unless a wr is wide open.

Jg will complete 63 percent of his passes for 2800 yards. 26 touchdowns 7 interceptions
I can see that happening. But he seemed to be at his best last year coming off the bench and playing more aggressive by taking chunk routes. If he plays that way all year long he should be well over 3000 yds.

He had lost me with the Alabama Rogue play...but the kid took his medicine and the embarrassment and stayed the course. He has busted his tail and put on 30 pounds and has been working on his craft. We don’t win out without him last season. I am sending all the Positive Energy and Vibes to that young Man to put it all together and Ball out this year. Most kids these days would have tucked tail and run away from the adversity. He did Not. I’m with him till he proves me wrong. Clean Slate. Let’s ride!!! GBO!!!

Do you really think the people bashing him care about facts?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Do you recall his first game as a freshman against Georgia Tech? He didn't play and the camera kept showing hat sulking freshman on the bench who was whining cause he wasn't playing. He's grown into a mature leader who loves his team, his teammates and his school. He's matured into the veteran that understands when he hasn't played well and gets benched and then has the maturity to come back in the game and lead the Vols to victory. He has matured to be the QB that throws for over 400 yards against Missourri when they try to make him prove he can't beat them.
He isnt the best QB we have had but he has matured, as a person and as a QB and doesn't deserve the constant ridicule from anonymous posters.

I'm not gonna debate you, but you're talking about the same guy who inexplicably called his own number at the goal line against Bama, and we all know how that turned out. He's still holding the ball too long, late on reads, and under throwing deep balls, like he always has. What you call growth, I call inconsistency, and flashes of what he could be if he were consistent. I'm sure he's a great guy and beloved in the locker room, and we all know he's tougher than a $2 steak ... I'll give you that. Lastly, I'm not an anonymous poster, my name is on everything I say.

Personally, I give quite a bit of credit, for the latter half of the season, to the defense. They kept us in games long enough for the offense to score enough to win it. I thought the D ended the season ahead of schedule.......and I hope they pick up where they left off. Don't think they've hit their peak yet......I think they'll get even better. Exciting to think there is that much potential.

As for the offense.....they've got to get their average points per game up into the high 20s to 30s. On good teams.......not UTC. They haven't done that. The QB room has been a big part of that. They all need to step it up. It would help if the OL can generate a very respectable running game. Unfortunately, I can see us picking up where we left off. Starting JG......and if he is off, platooning him with either BM or JTS. Either way we're gonna need more than what JG has given us when it comes to playing FL, GA, AL and Oklahoma.

VN Store

Back