Jessie Rennie

lvocd

A poster on The SUmmiTT board (“LDYVOLS4EVER” in Lady Vols close out 2019 with 50-point win ) logged a highly complimentary post about Jessie Rennie, and also pointed out that “once teams start to see her as a threat, they’ll get out on her quicker.” And with her shot having so little arc, she may start getting blocked some.

We can all agree with those points, I’m sure.

I remember reading during the preseason run-up that she had been working with Jon (I think) on getting more arc on her shots, but it appears that maybe the shot most natural-to-her is just going to be a lot flatter than any of us is accustomed to seeing. I have no idea what went on in her shooting sessions, but I’m guessing she worked really, really hard to get more arc on it, but eventually concluded she’s simply more comfortable and accurate with the flatter shooting form that she’s probably practiced since she was 9.

All that said, I do wish she’d had enough time before the season to change her form, BUT even if that’s never to be I don’t think she’s necessarily destined to get blocked a lot. In fact, I don’t think she EVER has to develop a high arch and will never have to worry about getting her shot blocked — IF HER TEAMMATES DEVELOP BETTER SPACING AND QUICKER, SHARPER, DEFENSE-FRUSTRATING BALL MOVEMENT.

Yes, that’s a big ask, but when that happens the entire team will benefit. But it is a fact that if Jessie’s teammates love her and want her to be successful as they appeared to on Sunday, then it’ll be up to them to move the ball in such a way that she is able to catch it and square up with at least a half second to spare before the defense can get within 5 or 6 feet of her with their arms high. They have GOT to have Jessie’s back on that, and it’ll be up to Rennia and Jaz to keep everyone sharp.

The good news is that even though there have been occasional lapses, it appears to me that ball movement has improved overall since last season. So I believe that the quicker and crisper our passing gets, the more points Jessie Rennie will be putting on the board. It truly IS going to take the entire team to make Rennie the success I know she will be.

I had about given up on the young lady from Australia....Looks like she may have found her shot again.....This is all good, until it is not again.

A poster on The SUmmiTT board (“LDYVOLS4EVER” in Lady Vols close out 2019 with 50-point win ) logged a highly complimentary post about Jessie Rennie, and also pointed out that “once teams start to see her as a threat, they’ll get out on her quicker.” And with her shot having so little arc, she may start getting blocked some.

We can all agree with those points, I’m sure.

I remember reading during the preseason run-up that she had been working with Jon (I think) on getting more arc on her shots, but it appears that maybe the shot most natural-to-her is just going to be a lot flatter than any of us is accustomed to seeing. I have no idea what went on in her shooting sessions, but I’m guessing she worked really, really hard to get more arc on it, but eventually concluded she’s simply more comfortable and accurate with the flatter shooting form that she’s probably practiced since she was 9.

All that said, I do wish she’d had enough time before the season to change her form, BUT even if that’s never to be I don’t think she’s necessarily destined to get blocked a lot. In fact, I don’t think she EVER has to develop a high arch and will never have to worry about getting her shot blocked — IF HER TEAMMATES DEVELOP BETTER SPACING AND QUICKER, SHARPER, DEFENSE-FRUSTRATING BALL MOVEMENT.

Yes, that’s a big ask, but when that happens the entire team will benefit. But it is a fact that if Jessie’s teammates love her and want her to be successful as they appeared to on Sunday, then it’ll be up to them to move the ball in such a way that she is able to catch it and square up with at least a half second to spare before the defense can get within 5 or 6 feet of her with their arms high. They have GOT to have Jessie’s back on that, and it’ll be up to Rennia and Jaz to keep everyone sharp.

The good news is that even though there have been occasional lapses, it appears to me that ball movement has improved overall since last season. So I believe that the quicker and crisper our passing gets, the more points Jessie Rennie will be putting on the board. It truly IS going to take the entire team to make Rennie the success I know she will be.

Rennie's issue against better teams will be just getting her shot off. I am glad she got a hot hand against Howard and that is definitely a step in the right direction but she was "bombs away" against a team that was not playing any perimeter defense and had very little length on the wings.

With a lot of work, Rennie can become successful. She should watch film of Shanna Zolman's evolution. As a freshman, SZ was a spot up set shooter who could light it up against teams that did not defend well on the perimeter or fight through picks well. Against, good defenses, she was SHUT down.

But, she evolved. At her best, she was a like a shark in constant motion on the perimeter, making defenses chase her all over the court and then she had a quick release and could make shots with just the smallest degree of separation. To become that player, Zolman work incredibly hard on her footwork, endurance, quickness, and strength. She was the consummate gym rat and workout animal.

Right now, Rennie is a very under developed freshman with a long way to go.

Rennie's issue against better teams will be just getting her shot off. I am glad she got a hot hand against Howard and that is definitely a step in the right direction but she was "bombs away" against a team that was not playing any perimeter defense and had very little length on the wings.

With a lot of work, Rennie can become successful. She should watch film of Shanna Zolman's evolution. As a freshman, SZ was a spot up set shooter who could light it up against teams that did not defend well on the perimeter or fight through picks well. Against, good defenses, she was SHUT down.

But, she evolved. At her best, she was a like a shark in constant motion on the perimeter, making defenses chase her all over the court and then she had a quick release and could make shots with just the smallest degree of separation. To become that player, Zolman work incredibly hard on her footwork, endurance, quickness, and strength. She was the consummate gym rat and workout animal.

Right now, Rennie is a very under developed freshman with a long way to go.
Can you let the you g lady have her limelight for a couple days!!!???

Madtown, I agree that the key to Jessie’s success is whether she’ll be able to get her shot off or not. And, yes, Zolman is a great example of an excellent shooter who worked hard to get open. She had such a sweet stroke.

My main point, though, is that Rennie’s teammates (and, of course, the staff’s ability to teach) will have as much to do with her success as she does. It is incumbent upon the staff to create an offense that gives someone like Jessie the time to get off her shot, and her teammates will need to do everything, as Kellie would say, “with urgency” in order for her to be a consistent enough scorer to relieve some of the pressure on Davis.

If I were Davis, I’d be all over my teammates like white on rice to move, Move, MOVE on offense — their bodies and the ball. They’ve got to develop more effective ball reversals, as well as develop a screening system such as the one Connecticut always used with tremendous effect to get shots for both Taurasi and Mosqueda-Lewis. Neither of those players were speedy, particularly KML, but the way they were able to use those screens to get just enough time and space to get their shots off, was impressive. That team skill played heavily into all the championships their teams won, IMO.

I have noticed that Rennie typically shoots threes from near the baseline on either side. I would love for Kellie to figure out a way for her to be able to mix it up a little more so she becomes less predictable. Maybe she could take a jumper from the free throw line, or drive the lane, or even take a three from straight center now and then.

P.S. Does anyone know if Jessie has ever played PG? It sure would be interesting to see her get a few minutes at that position IF she is a good enough ballhandler. I really don’t know if she is or isn’t, but I’d be curious to find out. A few minutes there now and then could certainly give her some different looks.

Last edited:
Yes, Jessie is a freshman. I haven't seen that many freshmen who are not "underdeveloped," to include three of her classmates ...on this team. And, man, if we can just sit Rennie, or better yet, enroll her in a Division II school, where so many of our forum experts think she rightfully belongs ...and in the name of all that is Holy, REDUCE THE SUBSTITUTION ROTATIONS, well, by golly, we'll be perfect!
The two games we've lost were due to the fact that our All-Stars under-performed, plain and simple. Not, because we gave our bench players a few too many minutes. Against Stanford in particular, our starters often went one-on-two ...or even one-on-three, threw up ridiculous shots and the passing was pathetic. That, and we didn't get out on shooters, or box out! Our post players, individually, and as a unit, have failed, and most-specifically on offense in both games where the opponents had near-equal height and talent. But, we're talking about a five-foot-eight freshman's shot-arc, while her teammates continue to miss point blank shots, with apparently little-to-no knowledge (or regard) for that clear thingie with a square painted on above the rim.
What I've seen of the Australian shooting guard is a hesitant, somewhat nervous, fundamentally conscious basketball player, with a near-effortless, quick release, and accurate shooting form. She's a bit stiff-legged (probably not a Coach Jumper term, but I digress). IOW, she needs to bend at her knees and hips - we used to call it "breaking down." Sure, she could, and probably should add a little arc, and she should be taller, run faster, jump higher, gather double-digit rebounds, and of course, block a few shots. She is, as some of us are so eager to point out, "limited," in some aspects of this beautiful game. Just as is her Southern Hemisphere compatriot, Miss Brown.
News Flash: There are only so many Miques to go around.
Our TEAM needs a quick, fundamental infusion if we are to compete in-conference. I think they'll get there, and I think Jessie Rennie will be more of a factor going forward. Because she's smart and steady, a quality that, if some of our more developed players can acquire, we'll be a very good basketball team.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Yes, Jessie is a freshman. I haven't seen that many freshmen who are not "underdeveloped," to include three of her classmates ...on this team. And, man, if we can just sit Rennie, or better yet, enroll her in a Division II school, where so many of our forum experts think she rightfully belongs ...and in the name of all that is Holy, REDUCE THE SUBSTITUTION ROTATIONS, well, by golly, we'll be perfect!
The two games we've lost were due to the fact that our All-Stars under-performed, plain and simple. Not, because we gave our bench players a few too many minutes. Against Stanford in particular, our starters often went one-on-two ...or even one-on-three, threw up ridiculous shots and the passing was pathetic. That, and we didn't get out on shooters, or box out! Our post players, individually, and as a unit, have failed, and most-specifically on offense in both games where the opponents had near-equal height and talent. But, we're talking about a five-foot-eight freshman's shot-arc, while her teammates continue to miss point blank shots, with apparently little-to-no knowledge (or regard) for that clear thingie with a square painted on above the rim.
What I've seen of the Australian shooting guard is a hesitant, somewhat nervous, fundamentally conscious basketball player, with a near-effortless, quick release, and accurate shooting form. She's a bit stiff-legged (probably not a Coach Jumper term, but I digress). IOW, she needs to bend at her knees and hips - we used to call it "breaking down." Sure, she could, and probably should add a little arc, and she should be taller, run faster, jump higher, gather double-digit rebounds, and of course, block a few shots. She is, as some of us are so eager to point out, "limited," in some aspects of this beautiful game. Just as is her Southern Hemisphere compatriot, Miss Brown.
Our TEAM needs a quick, fundamental infusion if we are to compete in-conference. I think they'll get there, and I think Jessie Rennie will be more of a factor going forward. Because she's smart and steady, a quality that, if some of our more developed players can acquire, we'll be a very good basketball team.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Can you let the you g lady have her limelight for a couple days!!!???

A post on this forum is not stealing anyone's limelight. We have seen already this season that players can look really good against really weak competition and then be completely ineffective when the comp ramps up. Rather than swinging between extreme optimism and pessimism over this performance differences, I am just trying to make a more balanced assessment of where these players stand.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Krich, I have been the first to say that Key is at least another season way from becoming a consistent low post scorer and that she needs to develop her overall quickness to avoid getting into foul trouble. But, when you are 6-5 and athletic, you can still find moments. Same story for Saunders. Horston needs polish and work on her decision making but she has the skill set to, on a good night, make major contributions.

I don't quite understand your point on the two losses. Against Tx, Davis and Jazz actually had pretty good games; Horston went into a freshman shell but our bench did not rise to the occasion, so I would chalk that up as a team loss. Against Stanford, the game totally turned when Davis had to sit with foul trouble and no one from the bench could fill the gap, with Key and Horston again looking like a raw freshman.

If Rennie follows the Zolman path, she will have a great career but that is a longer term project.

It has taken Harris (as a post player) 4 seasons to develop into a competent role player.

On the guard side, 5'10 Sydney Smallbone never made the leap.

6'2 Kortney Dunbar never made the leap.

Now, we can hope that Kellie and her staff excel at player development but I see no harm in being realistic about assessing our current group of players.

Last edited:
Krich, I have been the first to say that Key is at least another season way from becoming a consistent low post scorer and that she needs to develop her overall quickness to avoid getting into foul trouble. But, when you are 6-5 and athletic, you can still find moments. Horston needs polish and work on her decision making but she has the skill set to, on a good night, make major contributions.

Same story for Saunders.

I don't quite understand your point on the losses. Against tx, Davis and Jazz actually had pretty good games; Horston went into a freshman shell but our bench did not rise to the occasion, so I would chalk that up as a team loss. Against Stanford, the game totally turned when Davis had to go our with foul trouble and no one from the bench could fill the gap, with Key and Horston again looking like raw freshman.

If Rennie follows the Zolman path, she will have a great career but that is a longer term project.

It has taken Harris (as a post player) 4 seasons to develop into a competent role player.

On the guard side, 5'10 Sydney Smallbone never made the leap.

6'2 Kortney Dunbar never made the leap.

Now, we can hope that Kellie and her staff excel at player development.

I did highlight the "underdeveloped" analogy, and for that, madtown, I'm truly, and personally sorry. Of all the posters here you're the one I'd never want to offend (well, and VollyParton ;))
I've allowed this Jessie Rennie, and Roster Reduction chant (not by you) get the best of me. Players need time, and Coach Kellie appears (to me) to be fully aware of the hand she was dealt. She simply does not have the luxury of a Fab Five, or six, or seven. And, I certainly didn't mean to insult any of the starters, but rather, to make the broader point that we'll need everyone be better come March, or there'll certainly be no April, basketballaly speaking.
For what it's worth, I really hoped that we might sign the North Carolina player (Watts, I think). And though, she would've likely taken a lot of Jessie's minutes, I think we're awfully good right now, especially after Miss Green's injury.
Again, to you, or anybody who may be personally insulted, that is never my intent.
Cheers!

She is up to 39 percent on 31 attempts if she can do that she is a valuable asset. This was about where she was in Australia on the teams she played on there. You have to get her open and we got the drivers that can do it. If Horston. Burrell, Massengill, and Davis are looking for her on the drives we could really loosen up some defenses if she hits even 35 percent.

the best thing about Coach K's early subbing method (en masse) is she gave every girl ample time to show they're ready for the next step...Some shined for moments,,, some stayed consistent,,,some showed glimpses of the future player,,,some steadily grew,,,

Maybe Al Brown can read them and reach them and work with them through the process...
or can he talk to players?

The description of his duties so far:

"...Brown has taken a consultant position for the Lady Vols and will advise Harper. Brown, who was known for his relentless scouting of opponents and note-taking, still makes his home in Knoxville and has been seen at Lady Vol games on multiple occasions over the years. The position is a non-coaching one and can’t include any instruction of players or on-court actions. "

the best thing about Coach K's early subbing method (en masse) is she gave every girl ample time to show they're ready for the next step...Some shined for moments,,, some stayed consistent,,,some showed glimpses of the future player,,,some steadily grew,,,

Maybe Al Brown can read them and reach them and work with them through the process...
or can he talk to players?

The description of his duties so far:

"...Brown has taken a consultant position for the Lady Vols and will advise Harper. Brown, who was known for his relentless scouting of opponents and note-taking, still makes his home in Knoxville and has been seen at Lady Vol games on multiple occasions over the years. The position is a non-coaching one and can’t include any instruction of players or on-court actions. "

Coach, why do you keep wondering about this? Brown will be advising COACH KELLIE HARPER. Just the coach. No advising, instruction, or coaching of players. Not. About. The. Players. COACH KELLIE HARPER is the reason he was hired, but she will be able to take whatever she learns from discussions from him and transfer that knowledge to the players if she chooses. KELLIE will coach them. Al Brown will NOT BE COACHING PLAYERS. He won’t. No coaching by Brown. Only advice to COACH KELLIE HARPER off the court. Not by Brown on the court, because, you guessed it: AL BROWN IS HIRED ONLY IN AN ADVISORY ROLE TO COACH KELLIE HARPER.

There. I hope that finally clears it up for you. o_O

Seriously, man. Let it go before more people put you on “ignore” than have me on it! lol

I did highlight the "underdeveloped" analogy, and for that, madtown, I'm truly, and personally sorry. Of all the posters here you're the one I'd never want to offend (well, and VollyParton ;))
I've allowed this Jessie Rennie, and Roster Reduction chant (not by you) get the best of me. Players need time, and Coach Kellie appears (to me) to be fully aware of the hand she was dealt. She simply does not have the luxury of a Fab Five, or six, or seven. And, I certainly didn't mean to insult any of the starters, but rather, to make the broader point that we'll need everyone be better come March, or there'll certainly be no April, basketballaly speaking.
For what it's worth, I really hoped that we might sign the North Carolina player (Watts, I think). And though, she would've likely taken a lot of Jessie's minutes, I think we're awfully good right now, especially after Miss Green's injury.
Again, to you, or anybody who may be personally insulted, that is never my intent.
Cheers!

Well, I keep thinking of what might have been had Zaay not been injured. That would have given Kellie and the team some important degrees of freedom.

Coach, why do you keep wondering about this? Brown will be advising COACH KELLIE HARPER. Just the coach. No advising, instruction, or coaching of players. Not. About. The. Players. COACH KELLIE HARPER is the reason he was hired, but she will be able to take whatever she learns from discussions from him and transfer that knowledge to the players if she chooses. KELLIE will coach them. Al Brown will NOT BE COACHING PLAYERS. He won’t. No coaching by Brown. Only advice to COACH KELLIE HARPER off the court. Not by Brown on the court, because, you guessed it: AL BROWN IS HIRED ONLY IN AN ADVISORY ROLE TO COACH KELLIE HARPER.

Seriously, man. Let it go before more people put you on “ignore” than have me on it! lol

Could you use more caps next time

Reactions: sccshortstop
Well, I keep thinking of what might have been had Zaay not been injured. That would have given Kellie and the team some important degrees of freedom.
Madtownvol, the only silver lining in the injury to Zaay is the development of Rae Burrell. I am not sure she would have received the same amount of playing time as now. JMHO

LoL ..Actually, I think Coach J only wishes he were on the staff in some way, even not instructing, which is a passion for him. However, Coach J is one of the more valuable contributors of the site, as are you...

Reactions: Smallvol#1
LoL ..Actually, I think Coach J only wishes he were on the staff in some way, even not instructing, which is a passion for him. However, Coach J is one of the more valuable contributors of the site, as are you...

It is indeed a thought I have thought
and thank you for those kind words

You are right,, I have learned from lvocd's posts

I admire Jessie for coming to a new country and culture and giving major college basketball a whirl. She's a hard worker and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Nice to see her settling in with her shot...now if the staff and teammates find ways to utilize her abilities (in ways discussed in detail by posters above), she can be a great asset.

Worth noting (again) that she manages Type 1 diabetes. Courageous young lady.

If things go as I think, she will be a crowd favorite. Maybe known as a hustle, team- before-self contributor like Dane Bradshaw.

Last edited:
I take no issue with a 3 point shot that’s going in at almost 42%. If it’s working, keep doing it. You see all sorts of funny shots in the men’s game and people talk about it like a trademark. As long as the ball goes in, who cares?

Her shot is maybe a little slow still, but if she can hit that percentage it makes it worthwhile to run plays for her to give her ample time to get her shot off. She could terrorize the corners all season off of baseline flex screens.

I take no issue with a 3 point shot that’s going in at almost 42%. If it’s working, keep doing it. You see all sorts of funny shots in the men’s game and people talk about it like a trademark. As long as the ball goes in, who cares?

Her shot is maybe a little slow still, but if she can hit that percentage it makes it worthwhile to run plays for her to give her ample time to get her shot off. She could terrorize the corners all season off of baseline flex screens.

Happy New Year, VolBall09!
She might be slow, and her shot might be a little flat which, with her accuracy, is of little concern for now, though something worth improving/elevating as her career moves forward.
But, her shot is absolutely not slow. She has a compact delivery, and a quick, efficient catch-and-release.
Foot speed is not yet her strong suit; but there need be no special schematic considerations to help her get her shot off. The only thing holding her back to date, has been her hesitancy to catch and pull the trigger, not the speed in her wrists.
Jessie Rennie is a very talented and smart basketball player, who, despite her well-documented liabilities, can become a quality contributor. With proper training/stretching, she will improve technique, foot speed and flexibility.

Happy New Year, VolBall09!
She might be slow, and her shot might be a little flat which, with her accuracy, is of little concern for now, though something worth improving/elevating as her career moves forward.
But, her shot is absolutely not slow. She has a compact delivery, and a quick, efficient catch-and-release.
Foot speed is not yet her strong suit; but there need be no special schematic considerations to help her get her shot off. The only thing holding her back to date, has been her hesitancy to catch and pull the trigger, not the speed in her wrists.
Jessie Rennie is a very talented and smart basketball player, who, despite her well-documented liabilities, can become a quality contributor. With proper training/stretching, she will improve technique, foot speed and flexibility.

agree with both,,,,bad mechanics, but quick release

When shooting the three, you have to keep something in mind...it is a shot of adjustment for most.
meaning

Personally, I can shoot my exact jump-shot with the exact same mechanics and release ,out to just beyond the elbow....My jump-shot looks the same from anywhere, starting from the hashmark out to just beyond the the elbow,

My shot looks radically different on the outside the arc, because I am not strong enough to shoot my standard from from that distance. I have to find more power from somewhere. (I use my hands and tighten my grip before release and push a little harder with my follow)

From out of my comfort zone (beyond the arc)...I have to power up from somewhere else to make the distance, so my mechanics have to alter as well,

As a coach, I only mess with a person's three ,,if they don't already have one that works...
if it works even though it is outside of pure mechanics (Reggie Miller)...leave it alone

The three is rarely about mechanics, with the three, it's all about confidence, environment (guarded, unrushed, etc) and mental "state" at the time of the shooting

There are a lot of female basketball players who don't have the necessary hand and wrist strength to shoot a three using their normal jump shot. If you watch most of them, they rely more on arm strength to take the shot, and many of them nearly regress to a modified set shot. The problem is that the latter impedes a quick release. If their release is reasonably quick, then there's not much to be gained from messing with their mechanics unless they're spending time with the strength coach working on wrist strength, which I think is often neglected.

VN Store

Back