Jerry Green

9296potsguy

Drinking to cope
Somebody refresh my memory, why did we get rid of Jerry Green? Had 4 consecutive 20 win seasons, a UT best 26 win season, and a sweet sixteen app. Where are we now? I don't remember exactly why we fired him but unless it was for a serious scandal, we made a huge mistake IMO.

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Mar 5, 2005 1:51 PM
Somebody refresh my memory, why did we get rid of Jerry Green? Had 4 consecutive 20 win seasons, a UT best 26 win season, and a sweet sixteen app. Where are we now? I don't remember exactly why we fired him but unless it was for a serious scandal, we made a huge mistake IMO.

Nope, no scandal. Just the fact that he couldnt win in the post season consistently. The SEC and the NCAA tourney. But he won some big games and brought some very talented players in. I questioned the firing myself. Buzz blows.

What was the PG name from Memhis that was supposed to be the best in the country but his only consistency was turnovers (his own)?

you are thinking of Tony Harris. Was really good his first 3 years here but fell apart his senior year.

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Mar 5, 2005 2:07 PM
What was the PG name from Memhis that was supposed to be the best in the country but his only consistency was turnovers (his own)?

Tony Harris??

Green didn't get along with Doug Dickey . . . and was perceived as a guy who wasn't real big on team discipline.

Jerry Green brought in very few decent players, he inherited his from Kevin O'Neill. His teams continually went South after Feb. 1, have you for gotten his last team that went 16-1 then lost 7 or 8 in a row to end the season? There is no perception but fact he didn't enforce team discipline. He basicly told the basketball fans he didn't need them and they could just stay home. He turned big donors against him with his I don't care what you want attitude and continual failure to take what was the most talented team UT had had in a 4 year period since the early 70's to final 4's. Green won with another coaches recruits but otherwise was a POX on the Big Orange faithful.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 5, 2005 5:40 PM
Jerry Green brought in very few decent players, he inherited his from Kevin O'Neill. His teams continually went South after Feb. 1, have you for gotten his last team that went 16-1 then lost 7 or 8 in a row to end the season? There is no perception but fact he didn't enforce team discipline. He basicly told the basketball fans he didn't need them and they could just stay home. He turned big donors against him with his I don't care what you want attitude and continual failure to take what was the most talented team UT had had in a 4 year period since the early 70's to final 4's. Green won with another coaches recruits but otherwise was a POX on the Big Orange faithful.

Green may have been somewhat of butthead, but I will take the butthead over the Buzz and losing anyday. I was against firing Green. I'll take 20 win seasons anytime, even if he was a butthead, and UT preformed poorly in the post season.

Oh, didn't UT win or tie for a SEC Championship under Green one season?

Gunner

:gun:

Jerry Green NEVER should have been at UT and most real Vol fans are glad he's gone, he was a loser as a human being and not much better as a coach.

I don't know the specifics about his firing, but you've got to think that he was a pretty big a-hole after he followed the Kevin O'Neill debacle with all those wins and tournament appearences and still managed to get himself fired.

Whose ring is that and why in the hell would anybody want it???

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 5, 2005 8:44 PM
Jerry Green NEVER should have been at UT and most real Vol fans are glad he's gone, he was a loser as a human being and not much better as a coach.

I met Jerry Green at one of our high school games when I was smaller in 6th or 7th grade and he was a nice guy.....I'd rather have a butthead coach than lose but Buzz is a good guy and big on team discipline and that's what we needed.....When Green coaches us we had thugs on the team and they done what they wanted...Buzz has the boys disciplined and that's what UT needs

yes he did..and right now he is the assistant coach at my school. And i might add..Probably the best coach i've ever had

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 5, 2005 8:44 PM

TNVOLS1

I am a real vol fan (I have been for the past 25 years or so) and I just want UT to win and Green brought Wining to the table. That is something that this program needs the most. Let's be honest most of these kids are thugs anyway, and it is a lot easier to tolerate them when they win twenty games a season, and make the NCAA Tourney.

As for your statement about Green being a loser as a human being please provide examples to backup your opinion. For instance, please cite specific details about him being a loser or is this just your opinion.

Gunner

OK Big BOY
Green stated that UT fans needed to go to WAL-Mart instead of coming to games.

He alienated fans, Boosters and administrator. Winning at all cost is dead wrong that is the attitude that Bama fans had about their football program and you see where it got them.

I would rather be a .500 club and have a respected coach and a team that is disciplined than what Jerry Green brought to the table. I have followed UT sports since the mid-60's and I'll tell you right now Jerry Green was trash and the worst Human being UT ever hired to coach there. Green won with someone else's players not his own, his players belong to Buzz Peterson what few was left after the failed drug test and lack of talent. Greens teams won against inferior teams and when playing for the real thing choked or just plain quit. The talent that was assembled that was waiting on Green was the best collection of talent at UT since the Ernie and Bernie show and everyone needs to thank Kevin O'Neill for those players and almost any coach could have won as many games with them as Green did.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 6, 2005 8:55 PM
OK Big BOY
Green stated that UT fans needed to go to WAL-Mart instead of coming to games.

He alienated fans, Boosters and administrator. Winning at all cost is dead wrong that is the attitude that Bama fans had about their football program and you see where it got them.

I would rather be a .500 club and have a respected coach and a team that is disciplined than what Jerry Green brought to the table. I have followed UT sports since the mid-60's and I'll tell you right now Jerry Green was trash and the worst Human being UT ever hired to coach there. Green won with someone else's players not his own, his players belong to Buzz Peterson what few was left after the failed drug test and lack of talent. Greens teams won against inferior teams and when playing for the real thing choked or just plain quit. The talent that was assembled that was waiting on Green was the best collection of talent at UT since the Ernie and Bernie show and everyone needs to thank Kevin O'Neill for those players and almost any coach could have won as many games with them as Green did.

TNVOLS!

The Wal-mart comment was something like I guess UT fans would rather go to Wal-mart than the BB games. The comment was made in regard to the poor attendance at men's BB games even though the Vols were wining at the time. I understand what he was saying, it wasn't an insult but I guess that you might have taken it that way.

The one fact you won't deny is Green was a proven winner at UT. As for wining with someone eles's talent well to me that is the mark of good coach. The facts speak for themselves UT won under Green, and they won a lot, they even won in Lexington against the cats one year. So Please stop stating your opinion, and bring me some facts that will support you opinion.

Gunner

Somebody go tell the Marshall! There's gonna be a shootout between Gunner and UTVOLS#1. We all want to watch!

OK then IF he is such a great coach why can't he find a job?

Easy cause he's not that good.
and his comment was for more than just Fans not showing up at games it was because he was being CALLED out for thugs, lack of control and losing 8 in a row!

Go ask the people on the Hill that were that at the time he pissed everyone off. Yes he won but at what cost? If that is the program you want then go to BAMA they like it that way as for me another coach like him and I'll refuse to root for UT basketball and pray every night they get the death penalty.

Winning with someone else's players is does not mean your a great coach just that you had really good talent. His recruiting was pathetic at best. Look what he left Buzz with a bunch of no talents and potheads who could even pass a drug test.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 7, 2005 10:27 AM
OK then IF he is such a great coach why can't he find a job?

Easy cause he's not that good.
and his comment was for more than just Fans not showing up at games it was because he was being CALLED out for thugs, lack of control and losing 8 in a row!

Go ask the people on the Hill that were that at the time he pissed everyone off. Yes he won but at what cost? If that is the program you want then go to BAMA they like it that way as for me another coach like him and I'll refuse to root for UT basketball and pray every night they get the death penalty.

Winning with someone else's players is does not mean your a great coach just that you had really good talent. His recruiting was pathetic at best. Look what he left Buzz with a bunch of no talents and potheads who could even pass a drug test.

TnVOLS1

All that you have stated is your opinion. I asked you to provide me with documented examples. All you have provided is hearsay, rumor, and opinions. All I'm asking for is some facts that Jerry Green was such a horrible person, and coach. So far, I don't have anything from you except your opinion. Do you know the difference between a fact and an opinion?

I thought Green was a decent coach and he didn't deserve to be fired the when he was, but nobody asked me. Green should have been given a few more years to see what he would have done with his own playes.

Gunner

TNVOLS1 is wrong and these untrue posts are continually warping perceptions and trying to pursuade other Vols fans that the firing of Jerry Green was not the dumbest firing EVER in Tennessee history. When in fact, there has never been a GOOD reason for his firing. And why he does not have a job coaching now.... hmmm could it be because he's over 60 years old and is still getting paid $200K+ per year by the University of Tennessee. I remember him saying that he would like to retire from coaching at Tennessee when he was hired. He was here for the long haul and Dickey screwed him over.

I'll just repost a few of my comments from previous posts....

Originally posted by volmanjr+Feb 22, 2005 12:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (volmanjr &#064; Feb 22, 2005 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I don&#39;t follow UT Men&#39;s basketball close enough to know, why did we can Green?

Because he did not kiss any :censored: .

The University is now seeing the fruits of their labor.

One of the best hires they ever made and then turn around and make the dumbest firing EVER in NCAA history. No excuses about thugs, etc. That was just :censored: put out to deflect from the fact that the University was stupid. Only locally did anybody buy the &#39;thugs&#39; story that was being pushed. Nationally, the firing of Jerry Green still bewilders even the greatest basketball minds, and no VALID argument has ever been presented by the University as to why they pushed him out.

Jerry Green, 89 wins, 36 losses, 4 NCAA appearances
1997-98 20-9 (9-7) 3rd SEC East
1998-99 21-9 (12-4) 1st SEC East
1999-00 26-7 (12-4) T-1st SEC East
2000-01 22-11 (8-8) 4th SEC East

The best the Vols have ever finished under Buzz Peterson is 4th in the East (same as Green&#39;s last season.)

Prior to Jerry Green (89-36) was Kevin ONeill who had a record of 36-47. Prior to KO was Wade Houston with a record of 65-90. Buzz Peterson is 58-56.

<!--QuoteBegin-utvolpj
@Feb 22, 2005 6:12 PM
No way Buzz has better talent than Jerry Green did.  Kevin O&#39;Neill had some great players on their way into UT when he was let go like Yarborough, Haislip, Slay, and (maybe) Tony Harris.  O&#39;Neill also had his teams VERY disciplined and JG was not that way.  The team feared and respected O&#39;Neill.  It took the players a few years to get over their fear, but once they did, the program was headed the wrong way.  (see the 30 point loss in the NCAA tourn. to a #12 seed)  The players basically ran up and down the court while JG stood on the sideline with his arms crossed.  Occasionally he scowled and threw up his hands, but that was about it. Also, I don&#39;t think the Univ. can afford to fire Buzz.  They are already paying out Green&#39;s &#036; and then you add on Buzz&#39;s buyout, how much do you have left for the new guy?  Not saying I&#39;m the most staunch Buzz supporter, but I would like to see him given another year or two.

Sorry, Kevin O&#39;Neill&#39;s big signee was going to be Tony Harris. That&#39;s it.

Jerry Green signed all the other guys you mentioned.... (Yarbrough, Haislip, and Slay) plus he had to re-recruit Harris to come to Tennessee. The only returning starter from Kevin O&#39;Neill&#39;s &#39;96-&#39;97 squad was PG Brandon Wharton. That is another one of the common misconceptions that has spread, "that Jerry Green was just using Kevin O&#39;Neills recruits". It is simply not true. Jerry Green was a great recruiter and a great coach. He took a losing program at Oregon and won 20+ games there consistantly and then took a long-time losing program at UT (See Kevin O&#39;Neill and Houston&#39;s sub .500 records) and turned them into a 20+ win team and NCAA contender EVERY year he was at UT.

He is also the ONLY coach in UT history to win 2 games in 1 NCAA tournament (2000) beating La-Lafayette and UConn before losing a late lead to UNC in the Sweet 16. He guided the Vols to two straight SEC Eastern Division titles, back-to-back 12-win SEC campaigns, a school-record six-game SEC road winning streak, four consecutive 20-win seasons and four straight NCAA tournament bids. Anybody who thinks that Kevin O&#39;Neill (36-47) had anything to do with any of it is crazy&#33;

You refer to the 30-point loss in the NCAA tournament&#39;s 2nd round (1999) as proof of the Vols demise under Green. Then how do you explain making it to the Sweet 16 the following season (2000)? Matter of fact, the Vols were ranked from start to finish during the 1999-2000 season and finished ranked #11 in the final AP poll.

And lest everyone forget when they call Harris a thug... he was also one of the most coveted players in the nation out of high school and a huge pickup by Tennessee since UT has never recruited well in Memphis. In a sense, his signing has opened up the door to be able to recruit in Memphis. He finished his career at Tennessee scoring 1588 points (13.1 average) and had 509 assists.

And remember this, Buzz Peterson&#39;s first team included future NBA&#39;ers Vincent Yarbrough and Marcus Haislip and future SEC Player-of-the-Year Ron Slay as well as returning starter and sharpshooter Jon Higgins. That team underachieved under Buzz to the tune of a 15-16 record. That&#39;s a big difference than underachieving and finished 22-11 and in the NCAA tournament the previous season&#33;[/quote]

VN Store

Back