Jeff Walz not coming

He says he doesn’t know where the rumor started. This man has no shame. This isn’t the first time his own people have started the rumor that he was interested in the job. He did it in 2012 and 2016 as well.

He knows he will never be considered for this job, but he uses the fabricated interested to get more out of Louisville.

27bec1f7e2d945348963e05fad714d99.jpg

He says he doesn’t know where the rumor started. This man has no shame. This isn’t the first time his own people have started the rumor that he was interested in the job. He did it in 2012 and 2016 as well.

He knows he will never be considered for this job, but he uses the fabricated interested to get more out of Louisville.
Again. Tell me who is being considered. So we don't have to get our hopes up for someone like Walz.

I would have liked for Jeff to be considered. He wasn't because he was on Brenda Freese's staff when Maryland recruited Gatewood mid-season, and Parker said Maryland tried to get her to transfer too. I was told about .... a week? ago that he was no longer being considered because of that.

I like Walz. He was an assistant not the head coach at that time. I don't think he should have to shoulder the responsibility for those actions.

Reactions: olddog and glv98
Currently, to my knowledge, Kellie is the only one that has been in Knoxville to interview.

That’s not surprising since the Final Four is this weekend and every coach is going to be there for the yearly WBCA meetings.

There will likely be a few interviews next week once the Final Four is over and Fulmer and the committee can determine who has actual interest in the job.

I would have liked for Jeff to be considered. He wasn't because he was on Brenda Freese's staff when Maryland recruited Gatewood mid-season, and Parker said Maryland tried to get her to transfer too. I was told about .... a week? ago that he was no longer being considered because of that.

I like Walz. He was an assistant not the head coach at that time. I don't think he should have to shoulder the responsibility for those actions.

HC gives the orders. Assistants follow them. Jeff is not innocent. That’s like saying the driver of the getaway car isn’t as responsible as the actual bank robber.

Currently, to my knowledge, Kellie is the only one that has been in Knoxville to interview.

That’s not surprising since the Final Four is this weekend and every coach is going to be there for the yearly WBCA meetings.

There will likely be a few interviews next week once the Final Four is over and Fulmer and the committee can determine who has actual interest in the job.
So the job isn't KJH's if she wants it?

Why did Pat grant Sade Wiley-Gatewood a release to Maryland under those circumstances? That is a major violation.

Reactions: feathersax

Get more how? He just got a new contract last June. He's 1 yr into a 7 year deal. There was no reason for UL to do anything. TN people are desperate for a big name and they threw out all sorts of ones..Walz, Mulkey, Staley, etc... That's how this started.

Reactions: olddog
Hiring Kellie or anyone on that level just says you don’t care about women’s basketball.
It definitely says that women's basketball is not a priority at Tennessee at the moment and that Fulmer is working with a small budget. It may not be completely Fulmer's fault but he will be the one shouldering the blame if she is hired and fails... because even if he has to go on the cheap (less than $750,000 annual salary), there are still better options than Kellie Jolly Harper and her 57% career winning percentage.

Get more how? He just got a new contract last June. He's 1 yr into a 7 year deal. There was no reason for UL to do anything. TN people are desperate for a big name and they threw out all sorts of ones..Walz, Mulkey, Staley, etc... That's how this started.

Higher budget for wbb. More resources for recruiting. There are several ways to entice someone to stay without raising their pay.

Also, no, Tennessee didn’t throw out those names. Message board posters threw those out. Walz to Tennessee rumors were around in 2016 while Holly was still the coach. Google them.

Her father was the main reason for the transfer, not contact with MD. I don’t remember Pat ever denying a players request to transfer to another school.
She never did... but if there is evidence of tampering? That should be an exception. Dawn Staley blocked the transfer of Kelsey Bone to certain schools. It's a step you should take if there is a valid concern.

Then what is she waiting on? Some competition?

It’s a big decision. Does she want to be constantly compared to Pat. Is it good for her family. Several factors can go into this decision.

Also, like I said, I expect other interviews, but not until next week after the Final Four.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
It definitely says that women's basketball is not a priority at Tennessee at the moment and that Fulmer is working with a small budget. It may not be completely Fulmer's fault but he will be the one shouldering the blame if she is hired and fails... because even if he has to go on the cheap (less than $750,000 annual salary), there are still better options than Kellie Jolly Harper and her 57% career winning percentage.
If Kellie is hired i think Phil Fulmer will be retired when it comes time to probably fire her in 4-5 seasons. Another Athletic Director will be the one firing her and looking for another Tennessee women's head basketball coach.

VN Store

Back