Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Any Owners?

volinbham

VN GURU
Considering one -

1. will it do most of the hauling type duties that you use a pickup for?

2. is it fun to drive (not as daily driver but for poking around town with top back)

Would be swapping for a pickup

I traded in a 2005 4 door Z71 for a new two door wrangler back in 2009. Love my jeep. I can hook up my trailer and haul whatever I want with no problem.

I wanted a JKU because I knew we were going to have kids, but it really has not been a problem. Besides, I think the 2 doors hold resale value better than the 4 doors ever will. Just my .02.

Considering one -

2. is it fun to drive (not as daily driver but for poking around town with top back)

1. no, their design limits their practicality when it comes to hauling around a load of mulch or, in your case, empty beer bottles.

2. yes, especially if you buy one that's trail rated

I only do mulch or equivalent about 1 time/year - figured I could rent a truck for that if needed.

I'd prefer the 2 door but this would be a vehicle I may need to take the beach and definitely need to tote the dog around - I don't trust him in a topless jeep but could see him in the back seat with windows down and the front half of the top back.

just kicking the idea around

The Cheapest 2014 Cars To Insure - Forbes

No fewer than four Jeep SUVs are listed among 2014’s amalgamation of the 10 cheapest cars to insure, which we’re featuring in the accompanying slide show. In fact the least expensive of all models to insure for 2014 is the Jeep Wrangler, particularly in its base two-door Sport version, which boasts a national annual average premium of just $1,080 for a representative driver. Could the statistics belie the iconic Wrangler’s image as a rough-and-tumble go-anywhere kind of vehicle?

“The Wrangler is helped by the fact that it’s not expensive to repair – if you get a dent in your door, you take the door off and get another one,” Danise explains. “And while Jeeps certainly are marketed for ‘adventurous’ off-road driving, their appearance on our ‘least expensive to insure’ rankings demonstrate that they’re really not used to drive up and down craggy rocks.” Other Jeeps making the top 10 list for 2014 are the compact Patriot (annual average $1,104) and Compass ($1,140) and the more luxurious midsize Grand Cherokee ($1,171).

One thing I'll add about owning a Wrangler; you'll go broke buying accessories for it.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Get one. They're a lot of fun.

I have a 97 TJ and I have had it for about 12 years now. I love my Jeep and wouldn't take anything for it. They are so much fun to drive. As far as towing goes they really aren't that great due to the short wheel base. Unless you are towing something small on a shorter trailer.

P.S.- The Aggie is right... you will empty every pocket trying to buy stuff for it.

Thanks for the info - I don't plan on towing; just hauling crap on occasion like bulky stuff that won't fit in the car.

Considering one -

The ex, has a 2012, and it's pretty good for poking around, but it does ride a little bouncy

good luck if you get one

I had an 07 in my pic, sold it in 2009. I liked it, but wanted a TJ instead. The JK was awesome but was not a real Jeep. Us TJ owners say JK means just kidding from Jeep. You will enjoy it and not regret it. Highest residual resale vehicle on the market. IMO the only true multi-purpose vehicle out there (convertible, 4x4, can tow a trailer to act like your truck).

the towing capacity on them is stupid low i believe it's something like 3500 pounds with trailer tow package. Bulky items shouldn't be a problem but anything heavy that you use a truck for doesn't work well. The trailer will drive you. That being said, it is fun as hell to take the top off and doors and go up and down trails or cruise the back roads.

thanks for the input folks - I've already started to see the unlimited amount of spending that could go along with Jeep ownership.

One more question - I'm thinking I prefer the soft top over the hard (if I had to choose one). The car won't be a daily driver. What's your experience?

I've got a 97 wrangler, I love it but I'll never get back the money I've put into it.. Pricey bastage

thanks for the input folks - I've already started to see the unlimited amount of spending that could go along with Jeep ownership.

One more question - I'm thinking I prefer the soft top over the hard (if I had to choose one). The car won't be a daily driver. What's your experience?

Older models, like TJ's, the soft tops were easier to remove by yourself than the hard tops. I think on the JK's they have made it pretty easy to remove the hard tops on your because they come off in pieces as opposed to one big top like the TJ's. Hard tops are a little bit more quiet than soft tops but if you aren't going to be driving it daily or won't be doing that much highway driving that shouldn' really be a big factor. IMO soft top is the way to go.

I've been looking at the Wrangler Unlimited, as I currently drive a Honda Civic Si Coupe, which is obviously inconvenient since my son was born. Good thread Bham, very informative so far.

We bought a 2012 Liberty the other day, our first jeep. I don't think we will ever own a none jeep again.

Get the Freedom Top that comes from the factory. They're light nowadays and you can always purchase a soft top to meet your taste afterwards much cheaper. You don't want to buy a hard top aftermarket.

Besides, if you haul kids like I do, your wife will most likely insist they have a solid roof over their heads. I still strip the doors and front pieces off and she's cool with that.

Post a pic when you find a jeep man. Love to see it.

Get the Freedom Top that comes from the factory. They're light nowadays and you can always purchase a soft top to meet your taste afterwards much cheaper. You don't want to buy a hard top aftermarket.

Besides, if you haul kids like I do, your wife will most likely insist they have a solid roof over their heads. I still strip the doors and front pieces off and she's cool with that.

Post a pic when you find a jeep man. Love to see it.

Trying to find one that comes with both the soft and hard top (looks like a good deal).

Probably a month away from doing anything.

Narrowing things down - leaning towards Anvil Clearcoat or Silver, manual transmission, Sport S with tow package

Got a 2002 TJ riding on 35's and a 2001 supercharged BMW. Both are a blast to drive but when the summer rolls around nothing beats a jeep. Gas mileage sucks and you'll always want to buy new things for it but once you own one you'll always want one. Oh, don't forget to wave. :)

VN Store

Back