Jason Beverlin Joins Baseball Staff as Assistant Coach

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Tennessee head baseball coach Todd Raleigh announced the hiring of Jason Beverlin to the position of assistant baseball coach Monday. Beverlin will serve as the Volunteers' pitching coach.

More...

Discuss. :)

Key Points:

Beverlin began his coaching career as a member of the staff at Georgia Southern the last two seasons. Georgia Southern won the Southern Conference in 2009 thanks to significant improvement in the Eagles pitching staff. From 2008 to 2009, GSU lowered its team ERA from 7.04 to 5.11. Georgia Southern also collected 469 strikeouts, nearly 60 more than in 2008. The staff also lowered its opponents' batting average from .319 to .295.

Key Points:

Beverlin began his coaching career as a member of the staff at Georgia Southern the last two seasons. Georgia Southern won the Southern Conference in 2009 thanks to significant improvement in the Eagles pitching staff. From 2008 to 2009, GSU lowered its team ERA from 7.04 to 5.11. Georgia Southern also collected 469 strikeouts, nearly 60 more than in 2008. The staff also lowered its opponents' batting average from .319 to .295.

Sounds Great. Being a student it was rough watching our pitchers struggle last year.

At least there is no way this guy can make our pitchers worse....at least i hope not.

Coach Raleigh says he likes this guys vision and philosophy about pitching, I'd like to know what that vision is. If anyone can elaborate, I'd really like to know. Just what is the gameplan for a pitcher? I always thought it was to throw strikes and let your defense help you and never challenge a hitter chest high.

Tom Glavine once said "I struggled last year because I threw too many strikes, hitters went to the plate swing at everything. "

1. Good ratio of strikes and balls
2. Change of speeds
3. Change of location

I know this guy isnt a "big name" but there were too many pitchers on the team who never seemed to get better or see more playing time. It was the same 5 pitchers every week.

like it matters, Tennessee Baseball is in a decline, something drastic needs to happen and I mean fast.

VN Store

Back