Jasmine Franklin Committed

Just a few more tidbits as we finalize our Lady Vol Baskeball Roster. Jasmine Franklin played at Fayettevill High School in Arkansas. That high school is in the 7A category in the state. Meaning it's one of the larger high schools with a corresponding high level of competition.

Jasmine was recruited heavily by many D1 program including University of Arkansas and University of Colorado. Thoes two schools were mentioned by Jasmine as favorites. But in the end she chose a smaller out-of-state-school.

Jasmine is not just a great basketball player. She won the Arkansas State Championship in track and field four year consecutively in the shot-put. She also won the Arkansas State Championship in track and field her junior and senior years in the discus throw.
Perhaps Beth Alford-Sullivan, Tennessee's Track and Field head coach should get Jasmine on her radar.

All these accolades coupled with her academic honor roll accomplishments at Missouri State....we're rolling.

I guess all that positive recruiting momentum was too good to last, and now she settles for yet another undersized mid-major coming off a serious injury....

michael-scott-no.gif
Well I’m sure if she has recovered from injury, she can be an asset to the team in several ways. Her Making us a final four team is somewhat over the top. But over the top is the way here. Keep up the optimistic feeling, hope you are right.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Some have expressed concern about her height in the post. Height isn't everything.....unless you have an abundance of it then it becomes problematic. She has very good body control and positions herself well. 6'1" that can leap makes her taller than she measures. She has played a lot of games and her experience will help an already experienced team.
Prime example is Nina Davis out of Memphis who played for Baylor. Davis is 5'11" and scored over any post who guarded her. If I am not mistaken, she scored over 2,000 points. Just as important, she rebounded with the best of them, hauling in over 1,000 rebounds. Folks, we got ourselves a gem in Jasmine. Jasmine is a key piece that will, in my opinion, help the LVs get to a FF this upcoming season. GBO.

Some have expressed concern about her height in the post. Height isn't everything.....unless you have an abundance of it then it becomes problematic. She has very good body control and positions herself well. 6'1" that can leap makes her taller than she measures. She has played a lot of games and her experience will help an already experienced team.

Absolutely true. She's quite the athlete. And it isn't just that she can leap. It's also how quick and exactly when does she get off the floor. Obviously, with her rebounding and scoring stats, she's got all of that and more. And I don't really think we're going to ask her to play backup at the five that much. I think she'll start at the four (for which she is definitely not to small) and back up the 5 only if and when Puckett or Striplin or both can't get the job done with a particular match-up problem. I see Puckett and Striplin as the main 5 backups. They're big bodies and strong at 6-2 and 6-3. They'll have to advance over the summer in rebounding and defense, tho.

Absolutely true. She's quite the athlete. And it isn't just that she can leap. It's also how quick and exactly when does she get off the floor. Obviously, with her rebounding and scoring stats, she's got all of that and more. And I don't really think we're going to ask her to play backup at the five that much. I think she'll start at the four (for which she is definitely not to small) and back up the 5 only if and when Puckett or Striplin or both can't get the job done with a particular match-up problem. I see Puckett and Striplin as the main 5 backups. They're big bodies and strong at 6-2 and 6-3. They'll have to advance over the summer in rebounding and defense, tho.

I think there is going to be quite the battle at the 4 position.

We have a lot of abled body players that can play that position. My question now is where do we go with Rickea Jackson? Franklin will probably not come into form until mid season, but we also return Suarez, in that position who started for us until the injury bug hit. My thoughts are that Jackson can also play the 3 spot, which would move Horston to the two. Kellie has a good kind of problem on her hands and a whole lot of Depth that can probably play 2-4 when you think about with Puckett and Pissott in that mix. I did not even really mention Darby and Walker who are both returning starters. This team is deep and if they want to press 94 feet for 200 minutes they should be able to do it....

We have a lot of abled body players that can play that position. My question now is where do we go with Rickea Jackson? Franklin will probably not come into form until mid season, but we also return Suarez, in that position who started for us until the injury bug hit. My thoughts are that Jackson can also play the 3 spot, which would move Horston to the two. Kellie has a good kind of problem on her hands and a whole lot of Depth that can probably play 2-4 when you think about with Puckett and Pissott in that mix. I did not even really mention Darby and Walker who are both returning starters. This team is deep and if they want to press 94 feet for 200 minutes they should be able to do it....

All of This.

This isn’t a pecking order or anything just the depth in general at each position.

PG Depth:
Walker/Powell/Miles/Wynn/Horston/Rennie/E. Darby

SG Depth:
Walker/Powell/Horston/Wynn/Darby/Rennie

SF Depth:
Horston/Jackson/Wynn/Darby/Suarez/Puckett

PF Depth:
Jackson/Suarez/Franklin/Puckett/Striplin/Pissott/Horston

Center Depth:
Key/Striplin/Puckett/Franklin/Pissott

oh this team is going to be a PROBLEM. You have multiple players that can be GO TO.

But this is also why I could see us having Puckett/Striplin playing more of the 5 position behind Key and like @youcancallmeAl previously stated. Improve that defense and rebounding(Strip has it, Puck need to grab it) and the sky’s the limit.

Was this past year a redshirt for Franklin?

Well I’m sure if she has recovered from injury, she can be an asset to the team in several ways. Her Making us a final four team is somewhat over the top. But over the top is the way here. Keep up the optimistic feeling, hope you are right.

Tennessee is a Final Four team because of the roster 1-14 on paper. It has nothing to do with optimism or a single player. The team made it to the Sweet 16 without Horston, Green, and Suarez.
They kept the returning core intact which includes Horston and Suarez from injury while adding 3 starters from the portal and a McDonalds All-American.
The issue seems to be your train of thought in assuming it’s merely a optimistic feeling; not the fans who are speaking the reality of this teams potential.

All of This.

This isn’t a pecking order or anything just the depth in general at each position.

PG Depth:
Walker/Powell/Miles/Wynn/Horston/Rennie/E. Darby

SG Depth:
Walker/Powell/Horston/Wynn/Darby/Rennie

SF Depth:
Horston/Jackson/Wynn/Darby/Suarez/Puckett

PF Depth:
Jackson/Suarez/Franklin/Puckett/Striplin/Pissott/Horston

Center Depth:
Key/Striplin/Puckett/Franklin/Pissott

oh this team is going to be a PROBLEM. You have multiple players that can be GO TO.

But this is also why I could see us having Puckett/Striplin playing more of the 5 position behind Key and like @youcancallmeAl previously stated. Improve that defense and rebounding(Strip has it, Puck need to grab it) and the sky’s the limit.

Was this past year a redshirt for Franklin?

Oh yes.. Tennessee is deep deep ! Rocky Top is the move 😎.

Reactions: dtnvol

I think we will see lots of lineup combinations. We can go big on teams with lineups like Powell, Horston, Jackson, Puckett and Key

We can run smaller at teams with Powell, Walker, Wynn, Miles and Franklin (a fun lineup to throw out there if we are going to put a press on or something)

We could go super versatile with Horston, Pissott, Jackson, Suarez, Puckett

I think a crunch time lineup staple will be Powell, Horston, Jackson, Franklin and Key.

Sure, players like Puckett, Darby, Striplin and other may not see as much floor time as last season. But they seem bought in to wanting to win a championship. If they compete hard in practice, and we play as well as I think this team will, 3/4 of the second half will belong to the bench.

Less risk for injury to our stars and great developmental time for the freshman and sophomores. Really think players like Puckett, Striplin, Wynn and Suarez are going to improve a ton. They will likely have huge breakout seasons as juniors.

Last edited:
And to be fair I think some of the freshman played way more minutes than Kellie would have liked to have had them playing. Especially in tight situations. Injuries were such a driving force in every personnel decision made last season.

I pray for a healthy season, lots of fun and lots of fresh legs and lineup changes! 😉

Dirt_Ball wants us to believe Kellie is a recruiting failure - or a future failure - if she doesn't recruit the national player of the year out of the portal, or three future competitors for the NPOTY as freshmen each season. He either knows nothing of role playing on a team or willfully ignores what he knows in his attempts to deride Harper.

Well, some genius here has already made it clear that he would would be critical of Kellie if the actual NPOTY as a freshman decided to transfer here...because, after all, "she's coming off a serious injury."

You know posters are just seeking attention when they quit trying and just post really stupid stuff. Lazy trolls are the worst. No creativity at all. :(

Last edited:
4051E01F-940B-42AC-9D9A-FA567A33E704.jpeg

So, anyone know if she will wear this number? Dae Charles had her jersey retired with this number. Also, Rickea Jackson was pictured earlier wearing #5. That was Wynn‘s number last year. Scoop, anyone?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
With due respect, you can’t win a championship if you tell your team they can’t win a championship. If you had ever played on any sports team, you’d know this.

VN Store

Back