Jarret Guarantano better than most vol fans think

You did move the goal post. You said name one. There were several named. Get off JG's jock and get a clue. He was serviceable at best last year. That was proven. He had ONE good game vs Auburn. Even then, the WRs made him look much better than the stats showed due to them going up and high pointing several 50/50 ballls because JG held onto the ball too long on those throws too. Do I think he can be very good under CJC and a better OL? Yes! But, all you who keep throwing up meaning less stats is ridiculous. A QBs job is to get the ball into playmakers hands and win games, period. He could have done much better in that department even with a subpar OL. Many very good/great QBs overcome and adapt to win!!!
Wrong like always.

Not one person named a QB who did more with less. Coaching is a big part of what is around him. Stars also don't tell how good the oline is.

Y'all are really really reaching. It's pretty sad and funny. Lmao

Wrong like always.

Not one person named a QB who did more with less. Coaching is a big part of what is around him. Stars also don't tell how good the oline is.

Gonna need 5 gallons of Gatorade with all of the mental gymnastics you've been doing in this thread.

Wrong like always.

I have more confidence in JG than some of these other guys and I can appreciate your loyalty to your cause, but the bold is hysterically mind-numbing.

I guess I'll contribute my .02. Ill start off by saying I am hoping JG has a monster season though I am in the group of people who doubt his ability as a QB here at UT. In reference to some of the questions and comments on this post. I dont remember the ETSU game but saw the video and the fact that he threw 0 TDs vs an FCS school says something. In reference to QBs who do more with less, literally pick almost any QB in any other conference with the exception of the blue bloods of the conference's and you will have your answer. JG plays on an SEC team loaded with 4 star players and still can't produce. The OL is a major problem, but in the last two seasons he has given me zero reasons to believe he has what it takes to elevate his game. Ranking him a top 5 dual threat QB out of HS is the biggest joke I've seen. His success in the Auburn game was largely predicated on hopes and prayers with our receivers catching everything and their DBs forgetting how to break a pass up. I wish JG all the success this season as he will be leading us through the T but until he produces, I will doubt his abilities.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I have more confidence in JG than some of these other guys and I can appreciate your loyalty to your cause, but the bold is hysterically mind-numbing.
So WSU didn't have a better line? Coaching?

The answer to both is yes.

Wrong like always.

Sort of like your questionable blind fanboy obsession with a mediocre at best QB.

Last edited:
So WSU didn't have a better line? Coaching?

The answer to both is yes.
WSU did not have a more talented line. They had a QB who was good at reading D's and hitting quick passes that he made them better than they were. This is the exact same thing Cutcliffe did to turn Ainge around. He sped him up. Two staffs have not trusted JG to make those reads and throw those passes... and it wasn't because they had not let others do it or wanted to lose.

Hopefully Chaney can fix him.

Your football ignorance is profound.

Every day is a good day to continue the JG Death March Discussion.....

Wrong like always.

homer-simpson-feature1.png

Reactions: VOLnMiami and sjt18
WSU did not have a more talented line. They had a QB who was good at reading D's and hitting quick passes that he made them better than they were. This is the exact same thing Cutcliffe did to turn Ainge around. He sped him up. Two staffs have not trusted JG to make those reads and throw those passes... and it wasn't because they had not let others do it or wanted to lose.

Hopefully Chaney can fix him.

Your football ignorance is profound.
Let’s face it, there was enough blame to share last year. You could tell the kid was confused a lot and mostly from not knowing where he was going to get hit. How many seconds did Tua have to make decisions, or Trevor Lawrence or Drew Locke, etc. I don’t think he is that caliber of qb but does anyone here remember Jonathan Crompton as a junior and as a senior? The kid got a pro contract. What is the common thread between Crompton and JG? Chaney. Let’s see what the kid can do with coaching for a change. If he doesn’t look better then move on to one of the young guys. I am all about waiting to see and optimistic JG is well above average. Even Andrew Luck improved last year with better coaching and a way better oline that kept him upright. It starts up front but the qb has to be aware and get rid of the ball sometimes. Reich told Luck to dump when needed and live to fight another play. JG needs to do that.

Let’s face it, there was enough blame to share last year. You could tell the kid was confused a lot and mostly from not knowing where he was going to get hit. How many seconds did Tua have to make decisions, or Trevor Lawrence or Drew Locke, etc. I don’t think he is that caliber of qb but does anyone here remember Jonathan Crompton as a junior and as a senior? The kid got a pro contract. What is the common thread between Crompton and JG? Chaney. Let’s see what the kid can do with coaching for a change. If he doesn’t look better then move on to one of the young guys. I am all about waiting to see and optimistic JG is well above average. Even Andrew Luck improved last year with better coaching and a way better oline that kept him upright. It starts up front but the qb has to be aware and get rid of the ball sometimes. Reich told Luck to dump when needed and live to fight another play. JG needs to do that.
I agree with everything you said except the bold. In fact, I've been pretty consistently attacked for saying what you are saying but being more specific about JG's part of the failures.

As to the bold, I disagree. I think JG has that kind of potential. Physical talent isn't a problem. He's tough. He's competitive. The things that seem to be "wait and see" is whether he will put in the work or has the innate talent to do the mental/decision making parts of the game well.

You gave a mixed bag there. IMHO, Tua and Lawrence in JG's exact same situation would have struggled also. I don't think Lock's situation was much better except the system was more consistent around him. He made a living recognizing D's, being on the same page with receivers, and killing opponents with automatic routes. You can tell what those are by noticing the times when a receiver broke a quick throw route off with him throwing a fade or vice versa. Those were the occasions they didn't read it the same way. That has been part of their O for a long time... Lock was a master of it.

Wrong like always.

Wow kiddo...You really are the gift that keeps giving.

JG could be better than we think. He has two issues. The Oline was terrible, possibly the worst in the nation when Smith went down. I believe his WRs also were third from the bottom in the SEC when considering dropping catchable passes.

I agree with everything you said except the bold. In fact, I've been pretty consistently attacked for saying what you are saying but being more specific about JG's part of the failures.

As to the bold, I disagree. I think JG has that kind of potential. Physical talent isn't a problem. He's tough. He's competitive. The things that seem to be "wait and see" is whether he will put in the work or has the innate talent to do the mental/decision making parts of the game well.

You gave a mixed bag there. IMHO, Tua and Lawrence in JG's exact same situation would have struggled also. I don't think Lock's situation was much better except the system was more consistent around him. He made a living recognizing D's, being on the same page with receivers, and killing opponents with automatic routes. You can tell what those are by noticing the times when a receiver broke a quick throw route off with him throwing a fade or vice versa. Those were the occasions they didn't read it the same way. That has been part of their O for a long time... Lock was a master of it.
I agree and for the record I did not use bold print. Someone else did to push an agenda. I like the young man and feel bad for him having no oline, coaching or great receivers and hope he lights up everyone.

It all depends on the O line. If they do their job and protect the guy, he has the ability to be great. I always though Heath Schuler could have been great. Look at what happened to him in the NFL. He pissed of the O-line and they wouldn't block for him. He didn't last long.

We can only hope the blocking is better than last year so we can see what JG can do with his talent!

I agree and for the record I did not use bold print. Someone else did to push an agenda. I like the young man and feel bad for him having no oline, coaching or great receivers and hope he lights up everyone.
I bolded it so you would know the part I was referencing. No agenda though.

This fan base delusional..I see 5-6 to six wins at best..He is not elite enough to beat UF, UGA, Ala..This the SEC this fan base is accepting this mediocre QB..What skill set does JG has at the QB position? The Oline always will be the blame..No one blames JG for holding on the ball trying to stare at that one wide wr..

He’s always been a percentage guy.he hasn’t made any improvement since high school,he’s been the exact same..ECD5C4F9-A651-4B0E-B945-6C74B46A0D52.png

You really believe that the offensive line is wholly responsible for any-and-all of JG's shortcoming last year? That to say the he bears some responsibility for his own play is tantamount to saying that he's terrible?
The offense line was responsible for most rushing attempts that resulted in a negative gain and responsible for being pressured more than any QB in the conference. Yea he holds onto the ball to long at times but the O-line really is what was holding his back last and it's seriously not even close

The offense line was responsible for most rushing attempts that resulted in a negative gain and responsible for being pressured more than any QB in the conference. Yea he holds onto the ball to long at times but the O-line really is what was holding his back last and it's seriously not even close
It’s not the o line as much as it’s the other cards in play. If there’s one complaint I have about Pruitt it’s that he made it known that he wants a “smash mouth” offense last year and he didn’t have the horses. If we knew that then so did opposing coaches. That mindset along with JGs tendencies to play safe forced defensive coordinators to play within 10 yards of the LOS and added pressure to an already small and weak o line. Just my opinion

VN Store

Back