Jarret Guarantano better than most vol fans think

alltimevol2331

Tennessee football: More stats favoring Jarrett Guarantano slam Vols OL

As I’ve said all along he is much better than some of you guys say or think. If the scouts are correct then Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert will be in the NFL draft. According to the sports source this morning in four categories Guarantano was better in three of them and tied the other.

Give this guy time and he will a top qb in the SEC.

As I’ve said all along he is much better than some of you guys say or think. If the scouts are correct then Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert will be in the NFL draft. According to the sports source this morning in four categories Guarantano was better in three of them and tied the other.

I feel like Guarantano will have a breakout year this year, he is talented and tough he just needs time to go through his reads, but we will see hear in a couple months, I think Jim Chaney will pay off as an off coordinator

I hope he becomes a top SEC QB, but he isn’t yet nor has he been. Why do people keep apologizing for him?? Let the kid prove it his way.

I think the stats proves he is a great qb. Over 32% of running plays last season didn’t make it back to the line of scrimmage. He can go through his reads all day long but when you are playing Eat Tennessee State and they are only rushing three guys and he still doesn’t have three seconds to throw. That is a huge offensive line problem. In fact it’s offensive in every way possible.

He's had a bunch of playing time, more than many college QBs. Granted a lot of it ended up where he was looking out the ear hole of his helmet. He's over due to make the magic happen, if he can't get it done after our first six games, it would surprise me none to see our #2 get starts.

He's had a bunch of playing time, more than many college QBs. Granted a lot of it ended up where he was looking out the ear hole of his helmet. He's over due to make the magic happen, if he can't get it done after our first six games, it would surprise me none to see our #2 get starts.

If he has time he will be one of the best in the SEC. All about the line and protection.

JG can absolutely have a big year if the line improves. I still think most of the problems are not JG or the o line as much as people think. I think it’s a lack of speed on the outside.

Reactions: alavolfan
JG can absolutely have a big year if the line improves. I still think most of the problems are not JG or the o line as much as people think. I think it’s a lack of speed on the outside.

I agree with that along with not working hard to get open. Especially on quick reads.

I agree with that along with not working hard to get open. Especially on quick reads.
I just think it effects the way defenses defend us. They can afford to single cover on the outside and not have to worry about about being beat deep. Which allows them to load the box with more. I think JG and the o line both get unfair criticism. But JG can help stop that himself as well by being willing to take shots downfield. Dang.....we need speed like the earth needs water.

Talking to fans or OL?

I think he will surprise alot of folks this year. That being said about all his "measureables", which scouts look at...there's a certain degree of production that good QB's can do to raise the team's play, and that didn't happen last year, except two, maybe 3 games if you count SC.

He’s a great QB, but even Peyton Manning would struggle with last year’s OL. Same with 2017, except that it was painfully obvious that JG should’ve never been classified as a dual threat QB.

I disagree with that. Peyton’s strength is JG’s weakness...quick decisions. Peyton avoided a lot of sacks because he unloaded the ball. JG invites a lot of sacks because he hangs onto the ball way to long.

Talking to fans or OL?

I think he will surprise alot of folks this year. That being said about all his "measureables", which scouts look at...there's a certain degree of production that good QB's can do to raise the team's play, and that didn't happen last year, except two, maybe 3 games if you count SC.

It comes down to time and players running the correct routes on quick reads. Like I said watch the ETSU game. They rushed three and he was knocked down, didn’t have a chance on most plays. Manning would’ve struggled last season with that line.

I disagree with that. Peyton’s strength is JG’s weakness...quick decisions. Peyton avoided a lot of sacks because he unloaded the ball. JG invites a lot of sacks because he hangs onto the ball way to long.

The quick reads wasn’t there. Do you guys ever watch or rewatch games and plays by pausing plays and looking at the field. The receivers were getting bumped or not making cuts quick enough. The receivers make the quick reads not the qb. Hangs onto the ball to long??? Are you kidding me he had less than 3 second on average to throw the ball.

It's funny that anyone thinks people are apologizing for this guy. He's not caused any problems, is apparently a great student and young man, while also getting beat down behind a soft line and, still, shows impressive stats for the circumstances.

Some of you guys (or girls) are going to be eating a buffet of crow when he blows up this year.

I think the stats proves he is a great qb. Over 32% of running plays last season didn’t make it back to the line of scrimmage. He can go through his reads all day long but when you are playing Eat Tennessee State and they are only rushing three guys and he still doesn’t have three seconds to throw. That is a huge offensive line problem. In fact it’s offensive in every way possible.
I hope he becomes a great QB but he hasn't been one. With a "great" QB, UT becomes a passing O last year. He would have been allowed to read and throw hot routes to burn pressure. They would have made a living in the short and medium middle. Basically, he would have been UT's version of Drew Lock.

He's a very physically talented QB. If he can put the mental and decision making part together with Chaney, Tee, and Weinke then the potential is there. But to blame what happened last year all on the OL is to deny what your eyes tell you actually watching the game. You can't hold the ball as long as he does. You can't be that slow making decisions. You can't fail to read the D pre-snap to know where pressure and coverage will be.

Like your new screen name k-town.

It comes down to time and players running the correct routes on quick reads. Like I said watch the ETSU game. They rushed three and he was knocked down, didn’t have a chance on most plays. Manning would’ve struggled last season with that line.

Not sure what game you were watching the day we played ETSU, wasn't the game everyone else was watching though. Feel free to count how many times it's stated "JG has all kinds of time to throw"...

Not sure what game you were watching the day we played ETSU, wasn't the game everyone else was watching though. Feel free to count how many times it's stated "JG has all kinds of time to throw"...

The 11th or 12th throw to Palmer makes a good illustration of a time when JG was responsible for getting hit rather than the OL. Instead of seeing the coverage and throwing Palmer open, he threw late resulting in him getting hit and the defender being able to close and almost pick the throw off. Many here will count that as an example of the OL being bad. But he has to get that ball off sooner.

These stats blows me away and illustrate just how bad our OL was.

The Vols, according to Connelly, apparently had the highest percentage of plays that resulted in tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and that was without including sacks. Meanwhile, they were 119th in FBS in terms of percentage of carries that gained four yards (41 percent).

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I just hate going into every season, outside of Bray and Dobbs senior year, thinking...hoping...wondering...mentally justifying how our QB is going to be a strength of the team. Maybe if JG has good season this year, we'll have alot more positive momentum/recruiting going into the season. I think it's possible for JG, Chandler, Calloway to have monster years...it's also possible we underwhelm again.

These stats blows me away and illustrate just how bad our OL was.

The Vols, according to Connelly, apparently had the highest percentage of plays that resulted in tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and that was without including sacks. Meanwhile, they were 119th in FBS in terms of percentage of carries that gained four yards (41 percent).
I've been down on OL, just like most...but JG's got to own not holding onto the ball and being more of a vocal leader...WR's have to own doing a better job with their breaks and separation...RB's need to stay north/south (though that one's tough w/o the OL blocking better). I'm hoping Chaney, T, and the group can pull them together. Football is a team game so even if our talent is off some other teams, if everyone doing what they're supposed to be doing, it makes a big difference.

Got beat up last year. Held the ball when he should have threw it into the stands a lot.. He really didn't get much time for plays to develop so it's hard to know. It wasn't all on the oline though. The scheme, QB, Oline were all at fault at times. Chaney will at least help establish a identity this year i hope. Oline will have to be good enough to get a tough yard when they need it. Something they couldn't do last year.

VN Store

Back