Jared Lorenzen passes away

I honestly dreaded watching Kentucky play against us with Lorenzen much more than with Couch at the helm. The kid had an arm, could run/runover people, and was a fierce competitor and team leader. Not to mention that it usually took 2 or 3 guys to tackle him.

Sad to see him pass so early.

Prayers to his family and throw some long balls in Heaven #22!

He was amazingly effective for a guy his size. Bigger than some of his linemen. Was up to 600 pounds at one point. Couldn’t beat his weight issues. Tragic.

I'm no medical expert and I'm sure there is a legitimate medical concern of why he didn't get a surgery (iirc lapband?) to help his condition.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
There are only a handful of QB’s from college that left a lasting impression in my mind from the past few decades, and he was certainly one of them. He was so fun to watch. RIP.

I had heard he had gone to the hospital last week, but I didn’t realize it was life threatening. That’s terrible.

I don’t care if it were UK versus directional state university if Lorenzen were under center you always kind of kept it on there an extra amount of time just to watch him play. Prayers to his family.

So Sad ! And even more sad that He Couldn't Maintain! Lorenzen could have been a helluva QB Coach, and lived a long happy life as a KY Legend. Dangit people; do what is necessary to stay healthy. It is after all; up to us and our most important Job.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Is there anyone who had a better collection of nicknames that Lorenzen? Dude embraced them, too. My favorite is The Pillsbury Throwboy, but The Hefty Lefty and the Round Mound of Touchdown are pretty awesome.
They were playing Georgia one year, and someone had it on the radio. It was Kentucky's ball, and they hiked it. I remember Larry Munson saying "Godzilla takes the snap", that still tickles me.

I started getting into college football around the time Lorenzen played. I remember him being involved in some exciting games.

One of my favorite memories was a game on either ESPN or ESPN2 against Arkansas. Arkansas got up and lead the whole game and UK fans started to leave. The camera caught Lorenzen on the sideline yelling at the fans leaving 'Where the hell you going? You're going to miss a hell of a game!" or something similar.

That was the 7OT game that Arkansas won 71-63.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
One of my favorite memories was a game on either ESPN or ESPN2 against Arkansas. Arkansas got up and lead the whole game and UK fans started to leave. The camera caught Lorenzen on the sideline yelling at the fans leaving 'Where the hell you going? You're going to miss a hell of a game!" or something similar.

That was the 7OT game that Arkansas won 71-63.

I attended that game. As I recall, KY scored a late FG to tie it at 17-17 and set up the craziness.

I enjoy watching youngsters excel at and in sports the experts say should never be there. Bugsy Mogues and Spud Webb come to mind in basketball, Jim Abbot the one handed college & MLB pitcher, Mr. Lorenzen playing QB in college and the NFL always comes to my mind in this category as well. RIP young man.

VN Store

Back