James Ross Woody #87 RIP

He blew out his knee his senior year (1970) in the first game I believe. Stayed with the team the entire season and was captain for the coin toss for the final regular season game vs UCLA in full uniform and trotted off the field to a huge ovation in Neyland. Back then, that was a hell of a recovery as the cut was usually from mid thigh to right above the calf. RIP

"James, a lover of all his dogs and was often found playing with them or bringing them for rides in his truck. Rocky Top and Smokey were his constant companions. Smokey passed away just two days after James to join his best buddy in heaven."

RIP VFL....

He blew out his knee his senior year (1970) in the first game I believe. Stayed with the team the entire season and was captain for the coin toss for the final regular season game vs UCLA in full uniform and trotted off the field to a huge ovation in Neyland. Back then, that was a hell of a recovery as the cut was usually from mid thigh to right above the calf. RIP
Actually made a cameo appearance in the Sugar Bowl. Captain of one of my favorite Vol teams ever. Could have won the NC except for one bad quarter against Auburn at Legion Field. Outscored UF and UAT 62-7 in back to back games.

Actually made a cameo appearance in the Sugar Bowl. Captain of one of my favorite Vol teams ever. Could have won the NC except for one bad quarter against Auburn at Legion Field. Outscored UF and UAT 62-7 in back to back games.
Battle blew that game too. Tenn was running the ball down Auburn’s throat & Battle called a fake FG instead of running behind his big All American Chip Kell. Auburn stopped the play & Sullivan & Beasley got hot. Until 1998, that was the best Tennessee team I saw.

VN Store

Back