James Rodgers out for the rest of the season

Will be interesting to see if he tests the NFL Draft waters or uses a medical hardship year. I'd bet on the latter.

That's terrible. I kind of figured he blew his knee when I say the injury. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I feel embarrassed to ask, but that's their starting WR right? Haven't been keeping up as well on my west coast teams this year as I should

I feel embarrassed to ask, but that's their starting WR right? Haven't been keeping up as well on my west coast teams this year as I should

yes, he was the starting WR and his brother is the starting RB.

Last edited:
ok thanks guys. tough blow to the beavers then. Hope the kid's able to clear for medical redshirt

The second a saw a replay of the injury I figured he was gone for the year. It looked pretty bad. I heard that he both qualifies for and, plans on using, the Medical Redshirt.

what's that number in football btw?

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

I hope the kid gets a medical redshirt, but based on the above I don't understand how. 20% would be greater, but it's still only 3 games, correct? Has Oregon State only played 3 games this year?

I hope the kid gets a medical redshirt, but based on the above I don't understand how. 20% would be greater, but it's still only 3 games, correct? Has Oregon State only played 3 games this year?

I'm not sure how the rule applies to him. The Beavers have played 5 games (TCU, Louisville, BSU, Arizona State, Arizona.) 5 of 12 scheduled. Even with a Bowl Game it's still 5 of 13. Rodgers didn't play in the ASU game though. So that brings it down to 4 games he's played in. If you don't count the game the injury happened in you could lower it to 3.

Found some info that clarifies it. The 20% number was updated to 30% recently. And...

According to NCAA rules, student-athletes qualify for a hardship waiver if "the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests ..." In OSU's case that means 3.6 games – which is rounded to four, according to the NCAA – and because Rodgers did not play against Arizona State due to a head injury, he has only appeared in four games.

This is a major blow to the Beavs, that sucks!! Hopefully it entices Quiz Rogers to stay for his senior season, tho.

Random trivia: Rogers' back-up/replacement is Marcus Wheaton, cousin of Kenny Wheaton (the namesake of wheaton4prez, of course).

Bright side is that OSU is particularly young on the offense, and if James and Quiz decide to play together one more time in '11, along with Ryan Katz who looks to be making great progress, the Beavers could potentially gear up for a run at the Rose Bowl.

apprently even though he only played part of the last game they will count that as a full game. looks unlikely he gets a medical redshirt.

Found some info that clarifies it. The 20% number was updated to 30% recently. And...

According to NCAA rules, student-athletes qualify for a hardship waiver if "the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests ..." In OSU's case that means 3.6 games – which is rounded to four, according to the NCAA – and because Rodgers did not play against Arizona State due to a head injury, he has only appeared in four games.

That at least makes sense as to how he would qualify. The NCAA doesn't typically follow logic though. I'd be concerned if I was Rodgers based on how the NCAA has granted medical redshirts in the past.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back