Jamal Lewis VFL on Concussions and Life After Football

I remember seeing Jamal Lewis in person on campus as a Freshman at UT and seeing him tear it up at Neyland and thinking this dude was going to go far.

The next time I saw him in person was in 2005 when he was doing landscaping work while in Prison on Eglin AFB. A bit surreal..

I love football. CTE is real, and as players continue to get bigger and stronger it’s just gonna get worse. I have no idea what the answer is but these stories just rip my guts out.

My cousin was never officially diagnosed with CTE but he suffered multiple concussions in high school and in junior college and suffered from many of the symptoms. Sadly, he gave into depression and took his own life.

I love the game of football but sometimes I wonder if the game is really worth the price these athletes have to pay.

I remember seeing Jamal Lewis in person on campus as a Freshman at UT and seeing him tear it up at Neyland and thinking this dude was going to go far.

The next time I saw him in person was in 2005 when he was doing landscaping work while in Prison on Eglin AFB. A bit surreal..
That whole thing seemed like a giant setup. I think he got hosed from what I remember. I very much doubt he had any intent to go through with it.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
That whole thing seemed like a giant setup. I think he got hosed from what I remember. I very much doubt he had any intent to go through with it.

Was that the incident where his cop girlfriend at the time asked him to buy her some "stuff" and then she busted him for it?

Very long but very interesting. Reminds me of my dad when I would play baseball as a kid. It was embarrassing. Haha
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: knox73
My cousin was never officially diagnosed with CTE but he suffered multiple concussions in high school and in junior college and suffered from many of the symptoms. Sadly, he gave into depression and took his own life.

I love the game of football but sometimes I wonder if the game is really worth the price these athletes have to pay.

I married into a family with a former 10-year NFL center. Went from a model person, husband and father to a raging alcoholic who literally killed himself by destroying his liver. Brain was examined and riddled with CTE.

I don’t know the answer, but the problem is real. He isn’t the only former player with this kind of story.

Jamal’s story about getting knocked unconscious and the expectation to get back in the game really hit close to home. I had coaches in high school preach about having our health and safety in their best interests but when our star players got their bells rung or worse; health and safety didn’t really matter. If we had to come out; we were “soft” and called all kinds of horrible things to manipulate us. We were weak. I look back at it now as an adult and I am disgusted. I can only imagine what kinds of manipulation these guys are seeing by the time they reach the college and pro level.

Not belittling his story because anytime an NFL player "losses it all" it's disheartening. However, lack of sleep over a long period of time will create the EXACT same symptoms as he is describing. I flirt with this all the time and I know mine isn't CTE........no suicidal tendencies. Short term memory, can't remember from one minute to the next. It's part of aging and is very much heightened by sleep deprivation. He needs to get that under control first and immediately. I remember thinking this last year when I read it.

I still think he was the victim of the lazy FBI that was trying to get a big splash conviction. These guys really have no choice but to plead guilty because they have a very very limited amount of time in which to take advantage of their notoriety and talent, and these little petty bureaucrats see it as their chance to make a name for themselves and Advance their careers. That is one problem with our justice system, is that anytime you face charges if , there is unlimited Financial backing for the prosecution's case. In the unusual cases where there is an equal amount of money that can be spent for defense as the prosecution does, there is a very good chance of acquittal. See OJ

Last edited:
I married into a family with a former 10-year NFL center. Went from a model person, husband and father to a raging alcoholic who literally killed himself by destroying his liver. Brain was examined and riddled with CTE.

I don’t know the answer, but the problem is real. He isn’t the only former player with this kind of story.
the eventual answer is that football will cease to exist and I predict it will be within 20 years. The financial liability enforced by courts is what is going to cause that to happen.

I love football. CTE is real, and as players continue to get bigger and stronger it’s just gonna get worse. I have no idea what the answer is but these stories just rip my guts out.

I think RBs, especially bruisers like him, need to retire early like Barry Sanders and Robert Smith did

the eventual answer is that football will cease to exist and I predict it will be within 20 years. The financial liability enforced by courts is what is going to cause that to happen.
Can’t give you a like for your post Polecat, but I think you are right.

Met him at a Bama game in 2017 as well Al Wilson.

Attachments

• 20190212_214454.jpg
    20190212_214454.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back