Jalin Hyatt left Wednesday's practice due to heat-related reasons

Mush ado about nothing since they managed it. I worked in heat most of my adult life. Some days it bothers you more than others, but everyday managing the heat is on your mind. Anytime you are on a surface the heat reflects back up, it’s way worse.
During basic training at Ft Benning in 83, I saw multiple guys pass out from the heat all at once. It was mid July and we were in full sleeved heavy bdu’s. Just ran a 1/4 - 1/2 mile mid day heat with a full ruck to reach the lunch/chow serving spot. Then we all had to do push-ups or mountain climbers, then put us at attention. About 4 hit the ground right then and another guy passed out holding his tray sitting under a tree. They were dragging them to the shade and pouring ice and water on their whole bodies.
I’ve never understood why that event had to happen. I understand training, but that was just stupid. Someone could have died.

I saw guys paving and roofing yesterday. They don’t have trainers and nutritionists. Drink some water.
Pretty sure there is a lot more energy required for a professional athlete, especially a skill position player, than paving or roofing. Sometimes you can drink plenty of liquids and still have a heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

Odd, given he grew up in South Carolina. It gets hot as the dickens down here, so it seems he would be used to it. I just got back from running in this 95 degree weather, and it felt good.

Odd, given he grew up in South Carolina. It gets hot as the dickens down here, so it seems he would be used to it. I just got back from running in this 95 degree weather, and it felt good.
I love the heat, but I'm not running in it. Ftr though, I don't run anytime 🤣. As much as I love warm weather, I know not to over do it when it's hot. Even cutting grass I take water breaks.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I've done roofing in 100 degree weather, working through college... but we dang sure hauled all our shingles and tarpaper onto the roof first thing in the morning! I've also played WR at the hs level, through two-a-day practices in August.

I don't know how much running, cutting, and sprinting is involved with stucco, but I promise--there's no comparison with what a wide receiver does in practice to shingle or hot tar roofing.

I can only imagine what it's like on artificial turf in an area that used to be swamp and surrounded for miles by concrete and asphalt.
There are myriad factors that can cause heat exhaustion, and stroke.

I love the heat, but I'm not running in it. Ftr though, I don't run anytime 🤣. As much as I love warm weather, I know not to over do it when it's hot. Even cutting grass I take water breaks.
I know the guy cutting my grass has to take breaks, it gets hot, esp in this air conditioned house.

Reactions: joevol33
That's just asking for issues.

I've done it for roughly 40 years. I don't run extremely far, just about a mile. But usually as fast as possible with a full out sprint the last 100-150 yards. I always wait until the hottest part of the day, and never drink water beforehand. That's when I feel it does me the most good. As a general rule, I limit the amount of water I drink throughout the day to very little.

It was so hot yesterday in Franklin that the delivery driver from California almost passed out. He got delirious and kinda lost as to where he was. If you aren't used to it can be tough. Certainly all that heavy football gear would only serve to make it worse.

Reactions: LadyVolette
It was so hot yesterday in Franklin that the delivery driver from California almost passed out. He got delirious and kinda lost as to where he was. If you aren't used to it can be tough. Certainly all that heavy football gear would only serve to make it worse.
I'm just south of you, and I saw a robin pulling a worm out of the ground with an oven mitt.

[commence the heat jokes]

I’m just here to see the old men talking about fighting grizzly bears off with number 2 pencils uphill both ways on their way to a brutal two a day practice.

Several things could be the reason. Diet, sudden increase in temp, lack of water, etc.

My son played HS football up here on the plateau at Jackson County. Summer Camp was rough. He's been out for 2 years now. WE just left visiting my SIL down in Valdosta, GA. Absolutely miserable. He said if we had lived there, he'd never have played.

Reactions: WillisWG
I saw guys paving and roofing yesterday. They don’t have trainers and nutritionists. Drink some water.

Right?! I did band camp in high school in the middle of summer out in the sun, and I never had to sit out. That's basically the same thing too.

Reactions: WillisWG
I've done it for roughly 40 years. I don't run extremely far, just about a mile. But usually as fast as possible with a full out sprint the last 100-150 yards. I always wait until the hottest part of the day, and never drink water beforehand. That's when I feel it does me the most good. As a general rule, I limit the amount of water I drink throughout the day to very little.
So the key to handling the heat is running a mile in extreme heat and humidity and drinking very little water....

I think I'll take your word for it boss...

Yessir...when it starts "getting dark outside" at 2pm on a sunny day, or when you stop sweating and your skin goes dry, you had better grab some water and go lay down in the shade somewhere. Has happened to me several times so that now I can feel that Heat Exhaustion coming on. The next step immediately following heat exhaustion is heat stroke...which can be deadly. I have been close several times and it sucks..

Actually here in Charlotte today the temp is headed for projected 96 degrees with a heat index of 104 due to this oppressing humidity. Working outside, a man can easily stroke out on days like this even while drinking as much water as is practical...just cannot replace it as fast as your body is sweating all your water out. Also, in high humidity your sweat doesnt want to evaporate off of your skin because the air is already saturated...and if sweat doesnt evaporate then it never cools down your body from the delta T phase change. It sucks. Wish i was in Knoxville.
I helped my daughter move today…. Drank over 80 ounces of water and 64 of Gatorade and haven’t urinated yet. My hands are cramping up too. I’m hitting the shower and then the couch. I’m too old for this 💩.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back