Jalen Johnson enters transfer portal

You need to understand that JJ wasn’t asked to create his own shot off penetration nor are most of our players.
It’s just not Barnes way Of running offense. He runs his offense thru the post and we need to realize that most kids arent coached to create in his offense
Barnes has never been against players creating, he's practically begged JJJ to do more of it all of last season. He had no problem with Turner or Bowden creating shots off penetration. The problem has been that these guys can't create their own stuff off the dribble, not Barnes. That all changes next year with JJJ, Springer and Keon, all of whom seem to have the ability to break down teams via penetration. I just think it's nuts to believe that JJ is all of a sudden going to be one of if not the best player at ETSU, If he is the best they've got then they're in for a long season.

Barnes has never been against players creating, he's practically begged JJJ to do more of it all of last season. He had no problem with Turner or Bowden creating shots off penetration.

I disagree. Barnes can say all he wants but his actions have shown that he isn’t tolerant of players that drive the ball into the lane when bad things happen. Bone was elite at getting into the lane but didn’t do it much because it wasn’t a part of the offense runs thru the post Barnes preaches. You are darn sure not going to see guys that have their minutes limited test those waters which are always going to lead to some mistakes when the HC is a run the offense thru the post guy.

Just wait but Keon and springer won’t have free rain and getting into the lane and being creators next season.
It won’t happen and then there will be posters claiming they can’t create their own shots and that will be wrong

I disagree. Barnes can say all he wants but his actions have shown that he isn’t tolerant of players that drive the ball into the lane when bad things happen. Bone was elite at getting into the lane but didn’t do it much because it wasn’t a part of the offense runs thru the post Barnes preaches. You are darn sure not going to see guys that have their minutes limited test those waters which are always going to lead to some mistakes when the HC is a run the offense thru the post guy.

Just wait but Keon and springer won’t have free rain and getting into the lane and being creators next season.
It won’t happen and then there will be posters claiming they can’t create their own shots and that will be wrong
Springer and Keon's strengths are exactly that, driving the lane and creating. Barnes is not going to take that away from them. Most of Bone's points and assists came from him creating with his speed to get past people. Working the ball inside first and creating your own shot within the offense can and usually exist together when you have players capable of creating their own shot. Bowden and JJJ were the only 2 we had last year capable of penetrating and James was reluctant to do so.

Springer and Keon's strengths are exactly that, driving the lane and creating.

Just watch and see if those guys aren’t reigned in and made sure the offense runs thru the post.

Btw I am not saying that’s bad coaching but there is no chance Barnes has an offense based off the dribble drive with springer and Keon.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I wish JJ well, but the ones hollering he will score 14 points are likely wrong. JJ likely plays the same role at ETSU as he did this year at UT.

I said 12-14 and that may be a little high as Forbes spreads his scoring around but JJ will play a much bigger role for them than us. Top 2-3 player on their team

Just watch and see if those guys aren’t reigned in and made sure the offense runs thru the post.

Btw I am not saying that’s bad coaching but there is no chance Barnes has an offense based off the dribble drive with springer and Keon.
I don't think that we will have a dribble drive offense but I do believe we'll see a lot more penetration from our guards.

Harris Walker should have been a really good PG. His ball handling skills were very good, even as a freshman. Woods was a sharp shooter. They probably made decisions on their own that got them out of UT, but Jerry Green probably didn’t help.

I played a pick up game one day with Vegas Davis. I used to play at the bubble all of the time around my sophomore year (not even sure it’s still there). I threw a lob to Vegas on a fast break, and he laid it in. He turned back to me and said, “I didn’t expect that.” I didn’t understand why because he could jump out of the gym and was on my team.

I also played against Jenis Grinstaff one day, and he could shoot from anywhere. Those dudes may look average against other D1 players, but they are unreal against Joe’s off the street.
Walker and Woods were terrific players with tons of talent, but were knuckleheads off the court with zero guidance from their coach. No surprise.

I always admired Jenis Grindstaff for what he overcame in his young life. Losing both parents within months while sitting out as a transfer from Va Tech and then tearing his ACL in his first game at Tennessee and missing another entire year is brutal for a 19-20 year old kid. Talent-wise, he was a poor man's Dane Bradshaw, but he was a super good kid, and penned a really thoughtful open letter upon graduation that brought me to tears as a young man not much older than him. Here is the link...
VolQuest - An open letter from Jenis Grindstaff

His role at UT was different for him. Instead of looking to score, when he got minutes in his first 2 years he was expected to get the ball into Admiral's and Grant's hands. He looked to score more often as a junior, but his minutes were usually limited. I think that he's in a good situation at ETSU and can be an alpha dog on offense. Depending on what other scorers they might or might not have, I'd bet he averages over 15 PPG at ETSU.
Name one thing he did well here. I can see him blossoming a little in a new environment but I doubt he becomes any kind of go to guy. I wish him well but he was a major dud here.

Barnes has never been against players creating, he's practically begged JJJ to do more of it all of last season. He had no problem with Turner or Bowden creating shots off penetration. The problem has been that these guys can't create their own stuff off the dribble, not Barnes. That all changes next year with JJJ, Springer and Keon, all of whom seem to have the ability to break down teams via penetration. I just think it's nuts to believe that JJ is all of a sudden going to be one of if not the best player at ETSU, If he is the best they've got then they're in for a long season.
Agree 100%.

85% FT last year.

A couple of dagger 3s at Rupp.
I thought JJ played solid the second half of the season. If not for the influx of 5* wing players I expect he would have stayed next season and been in the rotation. While he was never a star at UT, he was a solid citizen and contributed to the success of the program. I wish him the best and hope he has a great season next year!

Walker and Woods were terrific players with tons of talent, but were knuckleheads off the court with zero guidance from their coach. No surprise.

I always admired Jenis Grindstaff for what he overcame in his young life. Losing both parents within months while sitting out as a transfer from Va Tech and then tearing his ACL in his first game at Tennessee and missing another entire year is brutal for a 19-20 year old kid. Talent-wise, he was a poor man's Dane Bradshaw, but he was a super good kid, and penned a really thoughtful open letter upon graduation that brought me to tears as a young man not much older than him. Here is the link...
VolQuest - An open letter from Jenis Grindstaff
Jenis is a good dude. Used to eat lunch with him in Gibbs quite a bit.

Watched some of ETSU games this year. As someone stated Forbes spreads the scoring, they had 6 different leading scorers in games this year.. Think JJ will look more like he did in HS on the ETSU team. They did lose 5 players, their comp is tough but not the SEC grind. He will be counted on to produce, will be interesting to see him in a different game scenario, Best of luck JJ.

Watched some of ETSU games this year. As someone stated Forbes spreads the scoring, they had 6 different leading scorers in games this year.. Think JJ will look more like he did in HS on the ETSU team. They did lose 5 players, their comp is tough but not the SEC grind. He will be counted on to produce, will be interesting to see him in a different game scenario, Best of luck JJ.

Yea that was me they posted that about Forbes spreading the scoring around. I said JJ would average 12-14 before noticing that. I’ll drop down that prediction to saying he will average double figures. Regardless he will be one of their “guys” they will be counting on

Reactions: sechamp2012
His role at UT was different for him. Instead of looking to score, when he got minutes in his first 2 years he was expected to get the ball into Admiral's and Grant's hands. He looked to score more often as a junior, but his minutes were usually limited. I think that he's in a good situation at ETSU and can be an alpha dog on offense. Depending on what other scorers they might or might not have, I'd bet he averages over 15 PPG at ETSU.
I wish him the best and look for him to be a bigger role there at ETSU than what he would have had at UT. He is wise to pick ETSU as Forbes is a great coach! He’s probably why Bruce had such success at Tennessee. I’ll be rooting for you young man

He's about to get better, too. Just landed JT Thor and probably gets Jalen Green in addition to the 5* guard they already landed out of Atlanta.

He's about to get better, too. Just landed JT Thor and probably gets Jalen Green in addition to the 5* guard they already landed out of Atlanta.

Pretty sure he’s cheating to get players just like he did here at Tennessee.

At least Barnes seems to be pretty clean at this point.

VN Store

Back