Izod Indy series

Is the Nashville course really this challenging? I ask because I once went to an Indy oval race where drivers hit emergency vehicles in two separate incidents. I’ve always questioned the talent level in that series

If this race comes back, which I hope it does they have to redesign the course. That was a crash-fest and really boring.

Is the Nashville course really this challenging? I ask because I once went to an Indy oval race where drivers hit emergency vehicles in two separate incidents. I’ve always questioned the talent level in that series

When and where?

If you’re questioning the talent level in the IndyCar series, maybe ask Jimmie Johnson how good they are.

When and where?

If you’re questioning the talent level in the IndyCar series, maybe ask Jimmie Johnson how good they are.

Round 9
2006 IRL Firestone Indy 200
Nashville Super Speedway

Jimmie Johnson is not a good Indy Car driver, but deciding to spend his retirement years running a part-time IRL schedule shows what he thinks of the competition

The Indy 500 is the only reason IRL is still considered a top tier circuit. IRL is now and has been for years a stepping stone for NASCAR or Formula 1. So yes, I do question the talent of the driver pool that is stagnant

Round 9
2006 IRL Firestone Indy 200
Nashville Super Speedway

Jimmie Johnson is not a good Indy Car driver, but deciding to spend his retirement years running a part-time IRL schedule shows what he thinks of the competition

The Indy 500 is the only reason IRL is still considered a top tier circuit. IRL is now and has been for years a stepping stone for NASCAR or Formula 1. So yes, I do question the talent of the driver pool that is stagnant

If you want to be taken seriously, you’ll need to start using the correct name of the series and give me something a little more recent than a race that was fifteen (1-5) years ago.

Nor has it ever been a stepping stone for Formula 1 or NASCAR.

If you want to be taken seriously, you’ll need to start using the correct name of the series and give me something a little more recent than a race that was fifteen (1-5) years ago.

Nor has it ever been a stepping stone for Formula 1 or NASCAR.

I don’t care if I’m taken seriously. I follow a few racing series but have only been able to sit through two full IndyCar races in my life. In 2006 I left the track questioning the driver talent and thinking IRL fans were the “soccer fans” of racing with Lil Man Syndrome when their sport is questioned. Fifteen (1-5) years later, it doesn’t look like I’ve missed much.

IRL, Cart, IndyCar… call it what you want. The content of my previous post can’t be argued. The list of drivers from IndyCar that have tried to break into NASCAR or Formula 1 is far greater than vice-versa. The only times I can think of is when NASCAR or F1 drivers run the Indy 500. The money simply isn’t in IndyCar to keep or attract top tier talent. This is magnified on a national stage when drivers repeatedly can’t execute a single file restart.

You can have the last word. My opinion on IndyCar was formed long ago, and I doubt anything would change your opinion either.

I don’t care if I’m taken seriously. I follow a few racing series but have only been able to sit through two full IndyCar races in my life. In 2006 I left the track questioning the driver talent and thinking IRL fans were the “soccer fans” of racing with Lil Man Syndrome when their sport is questioned. Fifteen (1-5) years later, it doesn’t look like I’ve missed much.

IRL, Cart, IndyCar… call it what you want. The content of my previous post can’t be argued. The list of drivers from IndyCar that have tried to break into NASCAR or Formula 1 is far greater than vice-versa. The only times I can think of is when NASCAR or F1 drivers run the Indy 500. The money simply isn’t in IndyCar to keep or attract top tier talent. This is magnified on a national stage when drivers repeatedly can’t execute a single file restart.

You can have the last word. My opinion on IndyCar was formed long ago, and I doubt anything would change your opinion either.

The content of your last post and this post can and should absolutely be argued.

First, regarding drivers who can’t execute restarts, that you’ve completely glossed over the reason NASCAR pretty quickly went from one to multiple GWCs, tells me how little you know actually know. So let me help you out. It wasn’t because they were always getting it right on the first restart.

Also, ever heard the phrase “cautions breed cautions”? Well, that’s not exclusive to one particular series. I would normally assume anybody who claims to follow multiple series would know that, but I guess I need to reassess that assumption.

Second, the list of F1drivers who have come to try their hand in IndyCar is larger than that of drivers who have gone the other way. And before you try to tell it’s because those drivers weren’t good enough to make it in F1, there are several who were also F1 World Champions. IndyCar and NASCAR over the years has also seen drivers go in either direction. And yes, there’s no question that there is more money in NASCAR, which is about the only thing you’ve been correct on so far.

Lastly, those who drive in any top tier racing series, American or otherwise, have elite levels of talent. And yes, there will always be those whose money has gotten them further than their talent otherwise would have, but money only takes you so far. If you’re winning races with any kind of regularity it’s not because you aren’t great at what you do.

Reactions: VaBornVol
The content of your last post and this post can and should absolutely be argued.

First, regarding drivers who can’t execute restarts, that you’ve completely glossed over the reason NASCAR pretty quickly went from one to multiple GWCs, tells me how little you know actually know. So let me help you out. It wasn’t because they were always getting it right on the first restart.

Also, ever heard the phrase “cautions breed cautions”? Well, that’s not exclusive to one particular series. I would normally assume anybody who claims to follow multiple series would know that, but I guess I need to reassess that assumption.

Second, the list of F1drivers who have come to try their hand in IndyCar is larger than that of drivers who have gone the other way. And before you try to tell it’s because those drivers weren’t good enough to make it in F1, there are several who were also F1 World Champions. IndyCar and NASCAR over the years has also seen drivers go in either direction. And yes, there’s no question that there is more money in NASCAR, which is about the only thing you’ve been correct on so far.

Lastly, those who drive in any top tier racing series, American or otherwise, have elite levels of talent. And yes, there will always be those whose money has gotten them further than their talent otherwise would have, but money only takes you so far. If you’re winning races with any kind of regularity it’s not because you aren’t great at what you do.

GWC are used for the last two laps of a race, not because drivers are literally driving over top of each other on a Lap 16 restart of an 80 lap race.

I’m sorry my original month old comment struck such a nerve with you. Enjoy the races and go Vols!

GWC are used for the last two laps of a race, not because drivers are literally driving over top of each other on a Lap 16 restart of an 80 lap race.

I’m sorry my original month old comment struck such a nerve with you. Enjoy the races and go Vols!

If you think only IndyCars drivers wreck on early race restarts you now have actually convinced me that you don’t pay attention to any racing at all.

Which doesn’t strike a nerve with me, by the way. I’m always happy to educate the uneducated.

Well @doozer, I certainly appreciate the education. You’ve done more to convince me IndyCar isn’t a JV league than anything I’ve actually seen from an IndyCar race.

Anyone going to the music city GP?

Went last year and had fun. Doing it again this year.

This track is lousy.

Personally, I think the track is too tight. The passing zones seem too narrow to actually make a pass without wrecking. Also way too bumpy.

If they are hard set on doing a street course, several changes need to be made before the next race.

I would much prefer them to race at the Superspeedway. The races there were pretty good in the past. Plus there's the added bonus of being able to see more than a few feet of action from the seats.

Reactions: Nerd-Vol
I was thinking the same. It’s just too narrow. The race had no flow due to how many safety car laps there were. The novelty of the event wore off somewhat quickly.

I love the idea of going to the super speedway, but I think you lose the whole party/festival vibe. If the course is the same for next year, I probably won’t renew.

Just the cost is not worth the amount of racing I get to see (Although the Lights were great to watch). I may do Road America again and add the Iowa double header. Honestly can probably do both at the cost of Nashville.

VN Store

Back