It's way to early to shut the door on E.J. Anosike....

SoullessGinger32_

Vol till I fall
I've seen alot of fans on here recently call him a bust. I disagree. I can have valid input on him considering I watched him play at Sacred Heart his sophomore and junior season. He's learning an entirely new system in one of the most physical conferences in college basketball. Also, we all know Barnes is defense first when it comes to development. Wait until Anosike gets comfortable with the game speed. I can see him being a major contributor by the end of the season. Could definitely use that in tourney play. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words but we'll see. That guy is a gamer when he gets comfortable.

I've seen alot of fans on here recently call him a bust. I disagree. I can have valid input on him considering I watched him play at Sacred Heart his sophomore and junior season. He's learning an entirely new system in one of the most physical conferences in college basketball. Also, we all know Barnes is defense first when it comes to development. Wait until Anosike gets comfortable with the game speed. I can see him being a major contributor by the end of the season. Could definitely use that in tourney play. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words but we'll see. That guy is a gamer when he gets comfortable.
I think there will be games when we need him but we haven't played an old school physical team yet imo. In our SEC slate so far we could have easily gotten away with JJJ and the 4 and Pons or Fulky at the 5. I don't follow the rest of the SEC teams that closely to know who that team may be. The game really has changed a lot since Stokes and Maymon pounded teams inside.

I think there will be games when we need him but we haven't played an old school physical team yet imo. In our SEC slate so far we could have easily gotten away with JJJ and the 4 and Pons or Fulky at the 5. I don't follow the rest of the SEC teams that closely to know who that team may be. The game really has changed a lot since Stokes and Maymon pounded teams inside.
Mizzou is the closest thing to an old school physical team, in the SEC, imo.

There are high school teams that could beat Sacred Heart though.

I agree. But I'm talking about from an overall standpoint. Physicality and game speed will definitely change when you go from Sacred Heart to Tennessee plain and simple. Dude is way to physical and talented to play like this. You can even tell he's not comfortable just by watching him play. I'd like to see him adjust and get going it would make this team scary going into tourney.

I wish his offensive game was a little better, but he has been a good defender and good rebounder. He's our best rebounder per 40 minutes, just ahead of Jo. He's actually been a positive on both offense and defense according to advanced stats. He's pretty good depth, it was doubtful he was ever going to overtake either Yves (SEC DPOY) or Fulky (preseason First team All-SEC) in minutes. I'm not sure what else we are really looking for from him. Again if he could score a little more that would be really helpful, but he's been completely fine imo. I don't think this year counts against eligibility anyway so he could very well come back next year since he most likely isn't on the NBA's radar.

I would have to say the level of play between SH and UT us just a little bit different :9 this could be the reason why he is struggling due to the change of competition between conferences.

I think Anosike can play 5-10 decent minutes as a "role player."

Yep unless foul trouble EJ line will look like the Arky 4 minutes
7 players with 20+ minutes think that's about right blend with a few adjustments

Attachments

• 22D29626-751B-4507-8792-F7170798F08F.png
    22D29626-751B-4507-8792-F7170798F08F.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I’m disappointed right now. I thought that he might be a beast on the boards. I think that he might be a little shorter than I realized. I haven’t written him off though. He should excel in a highly physical game down low. He also looked apprehensive with his earliest shots. He should become more confident as the season rolls on.

I agree. But I'm talking about from an overall standpoint. Physicality and game speed will definitely change when you go from Sacred Heart to Tennessee plain and simple. Dude is way to physical and talented to play like this. You can even tell he's not comfortable just by watching him play. I'd like to see him adjust and get going it would make this team scary going into tourney.
Physical? yes Talented? No. At least not relative to the competition. I'm sure he would have been considered super talented in whatever league Sacred Heart is in but this is the SEC. That doesn't mean he can't contribute or play an important bench role, it just means he is never going to be a player that you rely on to win game.

I wish his offensive game was a little better, but he has been a good defender and good rebounder. He's our best rebounder per 40 minutes, just ahead of Jo. He's actually been a positive on both offense and defense according to advanced stats. He's pretty good depth, it was doubtful he was ever going to overtake either Yves (SEC DPOY) or Fulky (preseason First team All-SEC) in minutes. I'm not sure what else we are really looking for from him. Again if he could score a little more that would be really helpful, but he's been completely fine imo. I don't think this year counts against eligibility anyway so he could very well come back next year since he most likely isn't on the NBA's radar.
Still kind of a small sample size, but he does rebound at the highest rate on the team, and his block/steal numbers are in line with past. He does foul relatively much for the time on the floor however that really just from his first two games as a vol and his first SEC game. Which like the OP says can be considered part of the adjustment to the game. His shooting % is down noticeably, as is his FT% which tells me he should be able to turn it around. If he continues to draw fouls then he should get some opportunities to gain some confidence there which helpfully will spill over into his offense. I agree w the OP that it’s way too early to close the book on him. Should be getting 10-15 min IMO

Anosike is good for a few fouls on opposing centers. He does block out well and helps wear down taller players. Any scoring is a bonus, but with his frame, he’s limited near the basket.

He is not a bust, but there just aren't a lot of minutes for him out there, especially if ORN proves he can contribute.

Anosike is good for a few fouls on opposing centers. He does block out well and helps wear down taller players. Any scoring is a bonus, but with his frame, he’s limited near the basket.
Limited upside offensively, but he’s 2-11 on mid-range shots. He’s better than that, I think it will turn around for him.

That's where I'm at. He seems like a below the rim player, with not that much skill but plenty of heart. Not a bad thing for a sub. I agree, if he could be more consistent in scoring around the rim, he can be a vital piece of the puzzle.

Looks like a fish outta water vs the length and athleticism in the SEC. needs to start hitting the open shots. Ton of 💜 and banger skills give him a chance to contribute in roles for this team. Unfortunately, his game is being mothballed due to the stupid 3pt line and it's destruction of much post play.

VN Store

Back