It's Sunday and we got Softball, Volleyball and Soccer! Take your pick!

StrangeVol

The Lady Vols Softball program appears from early reports to be getting ready to blow the roof off of the SEC come Spring. Show up at 1:00 pm at Lee Stadium and get yourself an early look at what promises to be one of our best teams in a few years. Duke will have their hands full today, bank on it.

Our Volleyball team needs to regroup and get a win against Mississippi State to match the football team's production from Saturday. The match starts at 1:30 pm and we need folks to show up and support the team through this rough patch. This is a real opportunity to collect a badly needed win. MSU is on a 5 game losing streak and their losses haven't been close in most cases. They've been swept by LSU and South Carolina and lost 1-3 to Kentucky and Alabama. So, clearly we should be favored and I think we'll win this one going away. If you and I are a little pissed over the LSU collapse imagine how the team feels. I look for a resounding win! :)

Finally, our soccer girls are in Missouri to hopefully collect another win! The match starts at 2:00 pm and is in SECN+ I believe. The SEC has not been kind to Mizzou with their record at 0-4-1. So this looks like a chance to grab some easy points, right? Not so fast my friend those four losses came at the hands of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt. That's a tough start to anybody's SEC slate!

To win this one we'll need goals, maybe several as Mizzou can score and is a gritty team. The good news is with Katie back in the middle, our scoring prospects are much improved. This game to me is a toss-up. One thing is certain though and that is we need another win today! :)

Last edited:
Man, it's really evident when we are "pressing" on our blocks...huge difference! Playing better this match so far. The competition isn't the best but we look more together.

Anybody hear anything on the softball game?

Reactions: RollerVol
Man, it's really evident when we are "pressing" on our blocks...huge difference! Playing better this match so far. The competition isn't the best but we look more together.

Anybody hear anything on the softball game?

I don’t know, Lady Vol Twitter is posting everything but a score.

Reactions: RollerVol
SWEEP!!!! Scoring well distributed and a very nice win. We looked connected this afternoon. We need to hang on to that! :)

I hate when whoever is posting to twitter tells you everything but the damn score. :mad: It's what we are following the game for...you know...to see who wins? o_O

Well, it's official...Lady Vols Soccer offense is DEAD. Despite a heroic effort by Charlie Pogany who made save after save after save, our defense wore out or gave up and she yielded two goals, the latter of which was hardly contested by our defenders. The result, Lady Vols lose 2 nil. This was Missouri's first SEC win of the season.

I think our lack of offense has gotten to the point that our opponents don't worry much about defending against our attacks, such as they are, and simply bring everybody into the attacking third and pound us to death. I never realized how much we would miss Bunny Shaw!

There is some more good news...the Lady Vol softballers won their game against Duke 9-7 after trailing in the 7th 1 - 6. Suffice to say there was an outbreak of hits and home runs to close out the win in 8. Well done Ladies!

Well, it's official...Lady Vols Soccer offense is DEAD. Despite a heroic effort by Charlie Pogany who made save after save after save, our defense wore out or gave up and she yielded two goals, the latter of which was hardly contested by our defenders. The result, Lady Vols lose 2 nil. This was Missouri's first SEC win of the season.

I think our lack of offense has gotten to the point that our opponents don't worry much about defending against our attacks, such as they are, and simply bring everybody into the attacking third and pound us to death. I never realized how much we would miss Bunny Shaw!

There is some more good news...the Lady Vol softballers won their game against Duke 9-7 after trailing in the 7th 1 - 6. Suffice to say there was an outbreak of hits and home runs to close out the win in 8. Well done Ladies!
Yep our soccer gals was out everythinged today. The whole match was played on missery end of field and keeper had no chance. Their ship has sailed this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol and MAD
Watching the game today it is just easy to see that this team right now is Maya, Katie, and MA trying to lead a bunch of freshman and newcomers against a tough SEC. The injuries this year have really had an effect on what players are out there and you can tell there's not a lot of connection because the players on the field haven't played with each other. Tennessee has a lot of minutes going to freshman and they're experiencing how tough you have to be to maintain possession against an SEC team. A big issue I saw watching the game was it felt like when we got a chance to attack it had to be a one woman job to do it, there wasn't a lot of connecting passes.

Watching the game today it is just easy to see that this team right now is Maya, Katie, and MA trying to lead a bunch of freshman and newcomers against a tough SEC. The injuries this year have really had an effect on what players are out there and you can tell there's not a lot of connection because the players on the field haven't played with each other. Tennessee has a lot of minutes going to freshman and they're experiencing how tough you have to be to maintain possession against an SEC team. A big issue I saw watching the game was it felt like when we got a chance to attack it had to be a one woman job to do it, there wasn't a lot of connecting passes.
Not just this game but for the most part of the SEC schedule its been a one woman job.

I don't know why, but maybe the ladies can regroup and turn the season around...too many newbies, too many injuries, too many this and that...whatever it is I feel bad for them, especially after the success of last season...just hope they don't give up and continue to play for each other and, who knows, maybe good things will happen...

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a very insightful post, especially the observation about it being a 3 person team at this point. I'd add that until recently it was a two-person team as far as SEC games are concerned. You can see from MA's expression at times that she is just about ready to pull her hair out from the frustration of missed passes, failure to connect two passes in a row, etc., etc. I think I even saw even-keeled Katie roll her eyes a time or two when one of the youngsters made a particularly boneheaded play. Maya just keeps doing her thing and lately has been coming forward to bolster what little offense there is. A time or two she has almost gotten burned by being unable to get back and defend in a good position. I guess, given our youth and the ridiculous number of injuries this is just going to be a very "forgettable" season which is really sad for our seniors.

Reactions: MAD
This is a very insightful post, especially the observation about it being a 3 person team at this point. I'd add that until recently it was a two-person team as far as SEC games are concerned. You can see from MA's expression at times that she is just about ready to pull her hair out from the frustration of missed passes, failure to connect two passes in a row, etc., etc. I think I even saw even-keeled Katie roll her eyes a time or two when one of the youngsters made a particularly boneheaded play. Maya just keeps doing her thing and lately has been coming forward to bolster what little offense there is. A time or two she has almost gotten burned by being unable to get back and defend in a good position. I guess, given our youth and the ridiculous number of injuries this is just going to be a very "forgettable" season which is really sad for our seniors.
Agreed and I did see Katie give a little eye roll as well. MA runs the length of the field and a sloppy pass later and has turn around and go the other way. Just youth I assume but darn when we lose those 3 gals I do not read tea leaves but I don't see any offense or defense next year either. One thing about Myra she can kick the ball out of bounds better than anyone I have ever seen!

Reactions: MAD and StrangeVol

VN Store

Back