It's gotten worse...

HoopCreekVol

Now the national papers (USA TODAY) are starting to talk about the Lady Vols demise. 3 in a row to SEC rivals! This is not good at all. First, we get put down because of football, and now this.

We need some relief. We need more wins in all sports. I am truly thankful to watch the Vols (men) on the basketball court. I want the same for our Lady Vols basketball team.

It's so simple Holly is a very good person and just a average coach it's that simple but she will be here as long as she won't coach Fulmer won't get rid of her so we will be just a 10 to 20 team in most year's instead of a final 4 team just hope Holly understand's this and steps down but for some reason average is good enough around Rocky Top these days.

It's so simple Holly is a very good person and just a average coach it's that simple but she will be here as long as she won't coach Fulmer won't get rid of her so we will be just a 10 to 20 team in most year's instead of a final 4 team just hope Holly understand's this and steps down but for some reason average is good enough around Rocky Top these days.

@terrypedigo !!!! Man I have missed your run-on sentence monologues

Fulmer needs to convince Holly it's in her best interest to retire. Then she can un-retire somewhere else later if she wants, but she needs to be retired or fired. Hate that, but it's just the way it is right now.

Reactions: Volsurance
Phil apparently likes the title and pay of AD..
But doesn't have the testicular heft to do his job. This isn't about him and his friends its about the success of the athletic programs. Every day Holly remains as HC is another day Fulmer is refusing to do his job. Not everyone has what it takes to be an AD. Im sick of this being about Phil and his friendships. He's a VFL....Fine. Go be that doing something else if you don't have the guts to make the tough decisions of your job. And this isn't even a tough decision...its Phil not wanting to hurt his friends over the success of this once proud program.

But doesn't have the testicular heft to do his job. This isn't about him and his friends its about the success of the athletic programs. Every day Holly remains as HC is another day Fulmer is refusing to do his job. Not everyone has what it takes to be an AD. Im sick of this being about Phil and his friendships. He's a VFL....Fine. Go be that doing something else if you don't have the guts to make the tough decisions of your job. And this isn't even a tough decision...its Phil not wanting to hurt his friends over the success of this once proud program.

Asinine post.

Pretty poor attitude toward our AD. You have no idea what his plans are. It is a very rare situation for a coach to be removed during the season and especially women's basketball. Decisions will be made after the season. SMDH.

THE 'worse' is WORSE than most realize

When you look at the schedule that got the 12 wins there is ONE ranked team win TEXAS
look at a typical Pat Summit Schedule compared with UCONN (link)
Pat played 17 games vs Top 20 teams compared to the FOLLY's 2 and most of the 12 on this schedule are well below 100
Presbyterian
UNC Asheville
Florida A&M
Clemson*
UAB*
Oklahoma State
Stetson
#12 Texas
East Tennessee State
Murray State
Belmont

LOSS #8 Stanford

When you look at the schedule that got the 12 wins there is ONE ranked team win TEXAS
Pat played 17 games vs Top 20 teams compared to the FOLLY's 2 and most of the 12 on this schedule are well below 100
Presbyterian
UNC Asheville
Florida A&M
Clemson*
UAB*
Oklahoma State
Stetson
#12 Texas
East Tennessee State
Murray State
Belmont

LOSS #8 Stanford

I trust the person who told me this info - I was told Holly has incentives in her contract like most coaches. One has to do with # of wins...throw that into the equation (this happens to be common) hence the weaker schedules... 3 years or so into her HC duties there was a lot of frustration and discussion over the weak opponents, It just never went anywhere.

Now the national papers (USA TODAY) are starting to talk about the Lady Vols demise. 3 in a row to SEC rivals! This is not good at all. First, we get put down because of football, and now this.
We need some relief. We need more wins in all sports. I am truly thankful to watch the Vols (men) on the basketball court. I want the same for our Lady Vols basketball team.

Widen your perspective just a little more.

Lady Vols bball is not in good hands right now, given. Holly needs to go for sure.

Men's basketball has turned the corner and looks to be solid for years to come as long as Barnes stays.

It has been one of the best weeks in UT football in over a decade. A month ago, it looked like Pruitt and Fulmer were fumbling away the OC search. Then news comes of the Chaney OC hire, stolen from UGA well past Georgia's window to find a good replacement. Tee Martin comes home, and is an ace at recruiting. JJ returning for his senior year. Recruiting on the upswing. Bama football coaches are scattering like flies. There is talk of even more good news to come for football program in coming weeks.

People were doubting Fulmer and Pruitt with football, but not so much now. Time will tell, but it looks like we finally have an AD and coaching foundation setting in place for major winning seasons coming very soon.

Lady's softball is strong right now too.

IMO, Fulmer came back to get UT's legacy back in more than just football. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes coming to Lady Vols bball sooner rather than later.

I just wonder what the freshmen and sophomores think about the coaching and also how much input the assistants have.

I know defense needs work, but do we even run set plays. Looks a lot like street ball.

Reactions: Rixxx
I trust the person who told me this info - I was told Holly has incentives in her contract like most coaches. One has to do with # of wins...throw that into the equation (this happens to be common) hence the weaker schedules... 3 years or so into her HC duties there was a lot of frustration and discussion over the weak opponents, It just never went anywhere.
That sounds like embracing mediocrity. She is just not getting it done. There are other coaches that need to go with her. Play in the paint is abysmal. This team is not even close to being sound fundamentally. Layups not going in, passes not crisp or precise, turnovers in transition and on and on. That is coaching. They don't make adjustments during game or at halftime . I just don't understand, how they could have been on the sideline and at practice with a legend like Pat Summitt for so many years, and not learned anymore than they seemed to have learned about what it takes to put a winning team on the floor.

Reactions: Momto2
That sounds like embracing mediocrity. She is just not getting it done. There are other coaches that need to go with her. Play in the paint is abysmal. This team is not even close to being sound fundamentally. Layups not going in, passes not crisp or precise, turnovers in transition and on and on. That is coaching. They don't make adjustments during game or at halftime . I just don't understand, how they could have been on the sideline and at practice with a legend like Pat Summitt for so many years, and not learned anymore than they seemed to have learned about what it takes to put a winning team on the floor.

Agreed! It's been 7 years and she's had good to great recruiting classes so it's not like she isn't getting the players. For those who say some recruits haven't lived up to their hype or ranking well that's a double edged sword - Is it the recruit or the coaching? No matter which if a coach keeps recruiting players that don't ft in or lack chemistry or don't pan out etc? That's on the coach. It is Hollys program she is the CEO of the Lady vols.

I posted this elsewhere it might be harsh but Holly and Pat were really close. There is no doubt Holly wanted to make Pat proud and keep the program and her legend going in honor of Pat. It's a lot to ask a coach to take over for a legend . Most programs don't strike gold the first hiring. Dean Smith with Bill Guthridge, John Thompson with Craig Eshirek, Bobby Knight with Mike Davis ......This leads me to this. She knows the program has suffered and even with top recruiting classes can't compete with top 10 teams. They lose games they shouldn't , they can't compete for a NC...That said I wonder if she has looked in the mirror and asked herself "am I doing Pat and what Pat built justice? "?????

Pretty poor attitude toward our AD. You have no idea what his plans are. It is a very rare situation for a coach to be removed during the season and especially women's basketball. Decisions will be made after the season. SMDH.
That is what has been said for the last 3 years. Any other excuses?

Agreed! It's been 7 years and she's had good to great recruiting classes so it's not like she isn't getting the players. For those who say some recruits haven't lived up to their hype or ranking well that's a double edged sword - Is it the recruit or the coaching? No matter which if a coach keeps recruiting players that don't ft in or lack chemistry or don't pan out etc? That's on the coach. It is Hollys program she is the CEO of the Lady vols.

I posted this elsewhere it might be harsh but Holly and Pat were really close. There is no doubt Holly wanted to make Pat proud and keep the program and her legend going in honor of Pat. It's a lot to ask a coach to take over for a legend . Most programs don't strike gold the first hiring. Dean Smith with Bill Guthridge, John Thompson with Craig Eshirek, Bobby Knight with Mike Davis ......This leads me to this. She knows the program has suffered and even with top recruiting classes can't compete with top 10 teams. They lose games they shouldn't , they can't compete for a NC...That said I wonder if she has looked in the mirror and asked herself "am I doing Pat and what Pat built justice? "?????
Good point. The answer, sadly, is no. Not only is this staff not developing players, but if feels like they are smothering the natural abilities some of these highly rated players bring with them to UT. You can't find another Pat Summitt but they better bring in a high profile coach before the mountain gets too high to climb.

It is tough to watch.... with 6 HS All Americans..... not measuring up vs teams without a single star..... and made up recruits that Tennessee would reject..... with such talent... we still quick shoot.... give ball to Evina and let her go one on one no matter the shot difficulty..... Davis catching the inbounds pass less than a minute on clock..... and 1 second on shot clock and dribbles ball for a turnover.... it all is tough to watch.....

Idiotic post.

Reactions: knox73 and Rickster
So its idiotic and asinine to expect the AD to do his job and make the decisions pertinent to his job? Okay. I like and respect Phil for everything he's done. He's a Vol legend who I think has been disrespected in the past...but this is a different job. It is obvious Holly is not right for this job. It has been obvious for a long time. Its very disappointing that the Lady Vol program....long a program of success and pride for UT would be allowed to continue to free fall into obscurity and irrelevance like this...and Phil...who's job it is to oversee and care for this program is simply allowing this disaster to continue. Why wait to assess Holly till the end of the season? We've had how many years to assess her...and the verdict has long since been in. I don't know if Phil has what it takes to make this decision that is painfully obvious needs to be made asap. There's a difference between AD and a HC. Any disrespect to Phil as a person or Vol legend is not intended.

My interest in mens basketball has improved and I love the coach.

Has it really gotten much worse though? I would say it's actually right on par w/ the past few years. The cycle seems pretty much set: grab a few great recruits, lose one for one reason or another, win some ugly games, lose some ugly games, show some progress, maybe beat a top team or two, then regress a bit, break a few outrageous records, hit the tournament and see where the chips fall, repeat.

People simply aren't willing to lower their expectation to meet the new normal. This very well could be what it is for the foreseeable future. The real question is when will people accept it? You are likely to get two scenarios. Those who accept it and stay fans and those who stay fans for a period of time and then decide it's not worth it. As another poster said change is hard. Well, change is here. Now what?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Has it really gotten much worse though? I would say it's actually right on par w/ the past few years. The cycle seems pretty much set: grab a few great recruits, lose one for one reason or another, win some ugly games, lose some ugly games, show some progress, maybe beat a top team or two, then regress a bit, break a few outrageous records, hit the tournament and see where the chips fall, repeat.

People simply aren't willing to lower their expectation to meet the new normal. This very well could be what it is for the foreseeable future. The real question is when will people accept it? You are likely to get two scenarios. Those who accept it and stay fans and those who stay fans for a period of time and then decide it's not worth it. As another poster said change is hard. Well, change is here. Now what?

Man, you really are from Nuyoik.

Reactions: Nuyoika

Presbyterian
UNC Asheville
Florida A&M
Clemson*
UAB*
Oklahoma State
Stetson
#12 Texas
East Tennessee State
Murray State
Belmont

LOSS #8 Stanford

Remember when we were known for facing the toughest non conference schedules in the country? Since Holly took over she has loaded up on enough cupcakes to make twinkies jealous. Low risk non conference schedule except for a couple of games.

Reactions: olddog

Yes its gotten worse, because it hasn't gotten better.

This is Tennessee.
A place where the standard gets set, not lowered to "normal".

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back