It's always the QB

QBs also look a lot better with protection from the O line and good receivers that can run good routes and get good separation to throw too

not taking up for JG at all because he's not the guy for sure, but a good qb isn't all you need

No matter how many accessories you car has or how nice it looks, it is pretty much worthless without a working engine. Same with a football team and a QB

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You must not be following the Vols for too long. No way Dobbs is in the top 5 playmaker IMO.
You may want to check the Td’s passing and rushing by Dobbs.
Jr: 27 td’s
Sr: 40 td’s

Manning had est. 60 Td’s his last two years.

Now , you were saying ?

Dobb’s 40 Td’s his senior year included one 58 yard reception TD. We should have used him as a returner. May have had several Td’s returning also. LOL, Son of a gun was good.

Last edited:
Sure, play making QBs help obviously but are not the key to victory.

Bama never had a "playmaker" at QB until Hurts and they won just fine before that. On the flip side Tennessee had a playmaking QB in Dobbs and they didn't win sh!t but the garbage bowl.
Well now Dobbs led us in a season with wins over Georgia and Florida and Nebraska. I would sure take that right now.

It is fair to say that you cannot win against top tier competition without a very good QB play. UT has not had that over the last 4 years. But Dobbs proved it isn't always enough. This team has both bad QB play and other missing components. Even with a very good QB... this is probably a 2 or 3 loss team. I would not have said that at the start of the season but the D hasn't been even close to what many of us expected.
I think I agree with this. And I think I'd feel much less crappy if we beat the teams we're "supposed" to beat and 1 or 2 of FL, GA, AL, A&M.

Reactions: sjt18
But Saban changed with the times, realizing it would take a good qb in todays college football. He realized he could no longer win with a game manager qb.

Is Mac Jones really that great if you take away all the other offensive weapons around him and his OL? He's just AJ McCarron/Greg McElroy 3.0

The QB gets more credit than he should when the Offense looks good and he usually gets more blame than he deserves when they don't. That is the nature of being the QB.

VN Store

Back