It's always the QB

pianoko

It's almost impossible to win big without a really high quality QB.

Last 10 college national championship QB's and eventual heisman result:
19 LSU - Joe Burrow (winner)
18 Clemson - Trevor Lawrence (none but arguably too young and obviously VERY good)
17 Alabama - Tua Tagovailoa (runner up)
16 Clemson - Deshaun Watson (runner up)
15 Alabama - Tua/Hurts (both runner up)
14 Ohio State - JT Barrett (exception, but 2nd place team was Oregon with Marcus Mariota, who won)
13 Florida State - Jameis Winston (winner)
12 Alabama - AJ McCarron (runner up)
11 Alabama - AJ McCarron (runner up)
10 Auburn - Cam Newton (winner)

NFL super bowl winners:
2010 Aaron Rodgers
2011 Eli Manning
2012 Joe Flacco
2013 Russell Wilson
2014 Tom Brady
2015 Peyton Manning
2016 Tom Brady
2017 Nick Foles
2018 Tom Brady
2019 Patrick Mahomes

There are a few exceptions, maybe JT Barrett and Nick Foles (as a Bears fan, this makes me want to puke). For the most part, having a REALLY good quarterback is almost a necessity to have success. I think we could easily argue that Dobbs made Jones look much better than he was, and JG is making our program look much worse than it could. Yes, ultimately it is Pruitt's job to get the right people in the game, but it's difficult for me to want to endure the whole process over again IFF poor QB play is a really big part of our problem. We can certainly point to other issues, like lack of player of development, but I think there is a lot of snowball effect when your offense is just useless.

It is fair to say that you cannot win against top tier competition without a very good QB play. UT has not had that over the last 4 years. But Dobbs proved it isn't always enough. This team has both bad QB play and other missing components. Even with a very good QB... this is probably a 2 or 3 loss team. I would not have said that at the start of the season but the D hasn't been even close to what many of us expected.

The common theme for championship teams is that they are LOADED from top to bottom at every position.

It's not just the QB position. You have to have a killer OL to protect the QB. You have to have killer backs and WRs to free things up for the QB.

Ohio State had Zeke Elliot. Alabama had Mark Ingram/Trent Richardson/Derrick Henry. Those are all-time great RBs. And Clemson and LSU have had so so many good WRs.

You can look at Alabama and how many times they had a decent but not great QB and won a title because those teams were stacked where it mattered.

The common theme for championship teams is that they are LOADED from top to bottom at every position.

It's not just the QB position. You have to have a killer OL to protect the QB. You have to have killer backs and WRs to free things up for the QB.

Ohio State had Zeke Elliot. Alabama had Mark Ingram/Trent Richardson/Derrick Henry. Those are all-time great RBs. And Clemson and LSU have had so so many good WRs.

You can look at Alabama and how many times they had a decent but not great QB and won a title because those teams were stacked where it mattered.
A playmaker at QB makes things easier for every other player on O directly and for the D indirectly. The things JG is not and has never been capable of doing... make it much harder to protect him or run block. It allows D's to defend the run easier. It makes situational football easier for opposing DC's. For instance JG's ineffectiveness in the RZ.

You go from Simms to Bray and all of a sudden the OL doesn't suck quite so bad at pass protection.... or maybe that was just his quickness in making a decision and finding the right guy?

A playmaker at QB makes things easier for every other player on O directly and for the D indirectly. The things JG is not and has never been capable of doing... make it much harder to protect him or run block. It allows D's to defend the run easier. It makes situational football easier for opposing DC's. For instance JG's ineffectiveness in the RZ.

You go from Simms to Bray and all of a sudden the OL doesn't suck quite so bad at pass protection.... or maybe that was just his quickness in making a decision and finding the right guy?
bingo...imo

Reactions: igotworms

Sure, play making QBs help obviously but are not the key to victory.

Bama never had a "playmaker" at QB until Hurts and they won just fine before that. On the flip side Tennessee had a playmaking QB in Dobbs and they didn't win sh!t but the garbage bowl.

Reactions: Volatility
Until Pruitt admits there is a problem at QB, there is going to be no way to fix it.
CJP knows there is a problem and has said so to those who have cause to know. But he is not going to go out to the media or post on Volnation that our quarterback sucks.

CJP knows there is a problem and has said so to those who have cause to know. But he is not going to go out to the media or post on Volnation that our quarterback sucks.

He doesn't need to notify the media or Vol Nation the QB situation sucks.

It is clear as day every time they take the field.

And, to date, nothing has quantifiably been done to correct it.

Until Pruitt admits there is a problem at QB, there is going to be no way to fix it.

I don't think this is an issue of him admitting it. I think its clear to everyone including him.

The issue is what, if anything, is being done to make sure that JG isn't the "best chance we have to be successful".

After seeing every QB on our roster, I fully believe Pruitt when he says JG is unfortunately the best we have. HB just hasnt had enough time on campus yet or in practice apparently.

The question is why. Why isnt there a better option than JG? Why cant they develop Shrout or Maurer or HB quick enough to make a difference?

Reactions: lifeVol
I don't think this is an issue of him admitting it. I think its clear to everyone including him.

The issue is what, if anything, is being done to make sure that JG isn't the "best chance we have to be successful".

After seeing every QB on our roster, I fully believe Pruitt when he says JG is unfortunately the best we have. HB just hasnt had enough time on campus yet or in practice apparently.

The question is why. Why isnt there a better option than JG? Why cant they develop Shrout or Maurer or HB quick enough to make a difference?

Those are the million dollar questions.

Other schools have no problem plugging in freshmen QBs. Yes, there will always being growing pains with young players but other schools aren't as hesitant to go that route.

If they can't get Bailey up to speed with over half the season gone, then there are some major issues with that coaching staff.

Back to Pruitt, I think he is too hard headed and stubborn to admit that they can't go out and play ball control, limit the turnovers gameplan to try and win. So he keeps trotting the more experienced QB out despite seeing him make back breaking turnovers on a regular basis.

And why didn't he transfer in a JC QB in the off-season ?

The question is why. Why isnt there a better option than JG? Why cant they develop Shrout or Maurer or HB quick enough to make a difference?[/QUOTE]

Why have we seen other teams with back-up QBs (2001 UT vs. LSU SECCG - LSU back up QB) or even freshmen QBs be successful? HB has had an entire fall practice scheduled and he's still not ready?

It is fair to say that you cannot win against top tier competition without a very good QB play. UT has not had that over the last 4 years. But Dobbs proved it isn't always enough. This team has both bad QB play and other missing components. Even with a very good QB... this is probably a 2 or 3 loss team. I would not have said that at the start of the season but the D hasn't been even close to what many of us expected.

In fairness to the D, up until JG's complete meltdown in the 2nd half against UGA they had not been the issue. I don't think we've seen the same effort from them since he was marched back out there over and over again after that. And it's just difficult to say what any defense could truly do when not balanced with even a decent offense; I think they threw in the towel a while ago.

This is correct. There were no other better options. Why? I think with exception of HB non of our quarterbacks had the potentional to great players in the SEC. HB was recruitted by CJP and CJC and they should be judged on him, the jury is still out on HB.

or, maybe the heisman trophy has something to do with being the qb on a great team...

It's almost impossible to win big without a really high quality QB.

Last 10 college national championship QB's and eventual heisman result:
19 LSU - Joe Burrow (winner)
18 Clemson - Trevor Lawrence (none but arguably too young and obviously VERY good)
17 Alabama - Tua Tagovailoa (runner up)
16 Clemson - Deshaun Watson (runner up)
15 Alabama - Tua/Hurts (both runner up)
14 Ohio State - JT Barrett (exception, but 2nd place team was Oregon with Marcus Mariota, who won)
13 Florida State - Jameis Winston (winner)
12 Alabama - AJ McCarron (runner up)
11 Alabama - AJ McCarron (runner up)
10 Auburn - Cam Newton (winner)

NFL super bowl winners:
2010 Aaron Rodgers
2011 Eli Manning
2012 Joe Flacco
2013 Russell Wilson
2014 Tom Brady
2015 Peyton Manning
2016 Tom Brady
2017 Nick Foles
2018 Tom Brady
2019 Patrick Mahomes

There are a few exceptions, maybe JT Barrett and Nick Foles (as a Bears fan, this makes me want to puke). For the most part, having a REALLY good quarterback is almost a necessity to have success. I think we could easily argue that Dobbs made Jones look much better than he was, and JG is making our program look much worse than it could. Yes, ultimately it is Pruitt's job to get the right people in the game, but it's difficult for me to want to endure the whole process over again IFF poor QB play is a really big part of our problem. We can certainly point to other issues, like lack of player of development, but I think there is a lot of snowball effect when your offense is just useless.

Oh, this subject matter again

This is correct. There were no other better options. Why? I think with exception of HB non of our quarterbacks had the potentional to great players in the SEC. HB was recruitted by CJP and CJC and they should be judged on him, the jury is still out on HB.
CJP is on the record he did not give HB a chance for practice time in preseason camp. He let him take 10 snaps in one practice and decided he was 4th string and not worth any additional practice time. His decision at that time is haunting us now thru our 5 game losing streak. The jury is not out on HB. You have seen in his mop up stints that he is a significant upgrade over JG. Who knew we had TE’s on the roster who could catch the ball?

VN Store

Back