It's also a mental thing...

HoopCreekVol

If you have ever noticed when a team starts losing 3 - 4 games in a row, the downhill slide keeps coming. The players don't believe they can win anymore. Look at the score from last night's game. One point loss. You would rather suffer a blowout. You know then the other team was far superior. One point loss? Someone missed shots, missed defensive assignments and all kinds of silly things.

They have lost the WILL to win. I know my comments here don't help (if they read it), but they are not putting forth the energy. This is not Carson-Newman playing MSST or ND. You would expect a loss somewhere if a school is playing out of their league. We used to own the SEC. Now, look at what is happening!

If you have ever noticed when a team starts losing 3 - 4 games in a row, the downhill slide keeps coming. The players don't believe they can win anymore. Look at the score from last night's game. One point loss. You would rather suffer a blowout. You know then the other team was far superior. One point loss? Someone missed shots, missed defensive assignments and all kinds of silly things.

They have lost the WILL to win. I know my comments here don't help (if they read it), but they are not putting forth the energy. This is not Carson-Newman playing MSST or ND. You would expect a loss somewhere if a school is playing out of their league. We used to own the SEC. Now, look at what is happening!

Its a Holly thing. Its been a Holly thing since day 1 , she is just not able to hide it anymore.

I agree with the first part of your statement, not the second. I think Draya Carter was spot-on last night that the LVs were playing tight and the losing streak was making them tight. they did get in a flow in the 2nd half and they fought hard. Anyone who says Evina or Cheridene lacked the will to win must have been watching a different game than me. They had the game and bungled it away in the last 2 minutes with terrible execution. That is tangible and specific failing of the coaching staff. Per Draya again, she observed that the team did not know the play on their final out-of-bounds play and that seemed like an accurate observation. That kind of communication breakdown should never happen at this level.

This is 100% on Holley! It's her job to coach and inspire her players not the other way around. She knows it's only a matter of time. If it weren't for Pat's recommendation she would have been canned long ago.

That team knows what everyone thinks of it. That team knows what everyone thinks of their head coach. And that team knows the legacy of all those banners up in the rafters. If there's one thing I don't buy, it is the notion that the team has tuned it out. The mental element is definitely tilting them right now.

That team knows what everyone thinks of it. That team knows what everyone thinks of their head coach. And that team knows the legacy of all those banners up in the rafters. If there's one thing I don't buy, it is the notion that the team has tuned it out. The mental element is definitely tilting them right now.

Agreed. And what bothers me most about this entire sad decline is that, apparently, Holly doesn't think that it has anything to do with coaching. Judging by the things she says, it would appear that she believes that she's the unluckiest coach on the planet. She lands all these highly touted recruits, but when they get to Tennessee they just all up and decide not to bother with putting in the traditional Lady Vol effort. Her consistent denial of the truth is so honest-to-goodness delusional that I'm beginning to wonder about her mental state. :oops:

Last edited:
Agreed. And what bothers me most about this entire sad decline is that, apparently, Holly doesn't think that it has anything to do with coaching. Judging by the things she says, it would appear that she believes that she's the unluckiest coach on the planet. She lands all these highly touted recruits, but when they get to Tennessee they just all up and decide not to bother with putting in the traditional Lady Vol effort. Her consistent denial of the truth is so honest-to-goodness delusional that I'm beginning to wonder about her mental state. :oops:
Look up the definition of a "fools paradise".

It would not surprise me at all if Tennessee beat Notre Dame tonight...not at all.

Nor I

A bad sign though....In the AAU when a team beats teams they are not supposed to and gets beaten by teams they should have beat...It is the undeniable sign of a first year team of all-stars.

Nor I

A bad sign though....In the AAU when a team beats teams they are not supposed to and gets beaten by teams they should have beat...It is the undeniable sign of a first year team of all-stars.

If Tennessee had any semblance of a post game, I'd agree with you.

They will need to be carried by their perimeter players while being matched up against a trio of better perimeter players that also have dominant inside teammates.

I say prepare for the worst now...

I think it would be really instructive to be able to watch a practice run by Holly, and compare it to practices of Miss State, ND and Uconn,

It would erase any doubt as to who is responsible for the decline in Tenn. women's basketball.

Remember when Vol fans questioned if Pat should coach our mens bb team? Maybe Barnes could coach the ladies on the side and win more than Holly.

Remember when Vol fans questioned if Pat should coach our mens bb team? Maybe Barnes could coach the ladies on the side and win more than Holly.
We are currently tied for the SEC bottom! All SEC coaches, given our talents, would probably win more games than Holly.

Of the names in the banners, Holly's credential is iffy compared to those girls who have rings.

VN Store

Back